Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

British mother died leaving Care Business....what to do?

British mother died leaving Care Business....what to do?

Old Apr 9th 2018, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

jmpowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British mother died leaving Care Business....what to do?

This web site and the people on it helped me get my English nephew citizenship in 2016, amazing!! I now need more advise My English mother in Hull recently passed away . She had opened a care business in 2015. I am listed as the executor in her will and am not sure what to do about the business. She was not married but listed her partner with 25% of the business and she maintained 75%. Of course there is ugly family stuff, my cousin swears my mom said the business was to go to her...which is definitely not what my mom would have done but that's neither here nor there. My cousin is in England with the 81 year old partner who is a little lost without my mom. He listed my cousin as Director. In the will it does say that "I give to my executor the rest of my estate and any property over which I have a general power of appointment to hold it on trust: to pay the residue to my partner absolutely if he survives me" Does this mean I can hold the shares, does it mean I can sell and give him the residue? I would like to hold the shares, and continue oversight of the books. With my cousin running the company, she's not being fiscally responsible. I'm not there so cannot do anything except review statements....but we need to company to keep running as it helps my mom' partner with his living expenses.
What say you my British Expats?

Last edited by jmpowell; Apr 9th 2018 at 4:02 pm. Reason: Needs to go in a different section...
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British mother died leaving Care Business....what to do?

I’m at a bit of a loss where to move this thread to. It certainly doesn’t belong in this forum as the Welcome Inn is for new members to introduce themselves. I will move it across our UK forum...in the hope that someone can either help you or point you in the direction of those those who can.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

I was trying to move this..Thank you!
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmpowell
I was trying to move this..Thank you!
You can’t move threads or posts.

I don’t know whether anyone here will be able to help you...but good luck. I think you may need professional advice.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Go and speak to a lawyer.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Good advice Trying to get as much info as possible beforehand. Was surprised that with the knowledge and help from members of this site, we were able to get my nephews citizenship, thought I'd give it another shot.... I thought I had seen something on here about wills, estates, things of that nature...but cannot locate now. Thanks for response...
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Go and speak to a lawyer.
Seconded..... if the will is "woolly" with regards what to do with the business then a good lawyer is needed.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

It is, which is unfortunate. Terrible time as it is...and my mom not having it all in order. Very sad