Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Back in uk 6months after 6 years in Aus perth/adelaide now confused

Back in uk 6months after 6 years in Aus perth/adelaide now confused

Old May 16th 2012, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Back in uk 6months after 6 years in Aus perth/adelaide now confused

Originally Posted by chris955
What country are you referring to ? I am currently in England but your description certainly doesnt describe it here.
Hi Chris, have you looked at todays Daily Mail ? I love my England,but when you see pictures which I have viewed today,it breaks my heart.
pictures of 50 Romanian Beggars and prostitutes camping at Marbe Arch,also urinating in the street in front of hotels and cafe's, what is it saying to tourists, come to this beautiful place,to be robbed or mugged
What the hell is going on ??????
Old May 16th 2012, 9:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Hi Chris, have you looked at todays Daily Mail ? I love my England,but when you see pictures which I have viewed today,it breaks my heart.
pictures of 50 Romanian Beggars and prostitutes camping at Marbe Arch,also urinating in the street in front of hotels and cafe's, what is it saying to tourists, come to this beautiful place,to be robbed or mugged
What the hell is going on ??????
Just ignore the Daily Mail, it's full of anti-immigrant rubbish, negative views and doesn't reflect most of the UK at all. Yes, there are areas of crime/yobs/etc, but there are also many, many areas like where I live - surrounded by fields and wildlife, in a very safe village (don't even lock the car door or back door most of the time, not to mention leaving the tractor mower etc out with the keys in!), great school for my kids with no more than 20 to a class, a great community spirit, etc.

Seriously, the England you love is still here, just read another newspaper!

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 16th 2012 at 10:00 am.
Old May 16th 2012, 10:03 am
Banned

LA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really nice

Chris,
We didnt say that we believed everything in the Mail. However you cannot deny the photos are (and by the way the article actually came from the Evening Standard). It is up to people to decide whether or not this article gives a fair reflection or not of England. What it does indicate is that there is serious deterioration going on and this is not just due to immigration but more to do with values just going, poor education as a result of the "reforms" made by the previous government, terrible economic situation, escalating crime, a society that is stuck in a "benefits" trap. Looking at the UK society of today, there is absolutely no chance they could win a war!
Old May 16th 2012, 10:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LA2JHB
Chris,
We didnt say that we believed everything in the Mail. However you cannot deny the photos are (and by the way the article actually came from the Evening Standard). It is up to people to decide whether or not this article gives a fair reflection or not of England. What it does indicate is that there is serious deterioration going on and this is not just due to immigration but more to do with values just going, poor education as a result of the "reforms" made by the previous government, terrible economic situation, escalating crime, a society that is stuck in a "benefits" trap. Looking at the UK society of today, there is absolutely no chance they could win a war!
It's not a fair reflection of all of England, of course not! Frankly, the same problems are everywhere in the world - as you've obviously discovered judging from your previous posts about how awful South Africa was, and also how you were moving on from LA because you were 'sick of it' there too. I would disagree with your comments about 'poor education' and 'escalating crime' - I see you've only been in the UK for 6 months, but actually crime has fallen over the past few years, and also education is excellent where I am (and where I lived before too). My children's school is fantastic.

My point was that a small problem in London is not reflective of all of England, and that the Daily Mail does always make a big deal of that type of thing, but never reports the lovely scenic crime free areas funnily enough!

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 16th 2012 at 10:16 am.
Old May 16th 2012, 5:50 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we have a troll in our midst
Old May 16th 2012, 6:58 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I think we have a troll in our midst
Could be somebody from the Barbie.
Old May 16th 2012, 7:52 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LA2JHB
Chris,
How about telling us your personal experience instead of some fabricated nonsense in a "newspaper." I've only been back a month, but your description bears no relation to my experience. I'm not interested in the problems of an area I'll never visit. I'm just experiencing life here for myself. What specifically have you found so unpleasant about your day-to-day life? What is better in South Africa?
Old May 16th 2012, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Same same! I grew up in Australia, moved there when I was a toddler but I don't belong here! Miss my nights out in the UK - so much more fun :0)
More of the same. Born in Oz and left as a child. Here this time over 16 years and the same issues provoke dislike as in the early years.
Old May 16th 2012, 8:30 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Could have trouble narrowing it down though

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Could be somebody from the Barbie.
Old May 17th 2012, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just ignore the Daily Mail, it's full of anti-immigrant rubbish, negative views and doesn't reflect most of the UK at all. Yes, there are areas of crime/yobs/etc, but there are also many, many areas like where I live - surrounded by fields and wildlife, in a very safe village (don't even lock the car door or back door most of the time, not to mention leaving the tractor mower etc out with the keys in!), great school for my kids with no more than 20 to a class, a great community spirit, etc.

Seriously, the England you love is still here, just read another newspaper!
Love this, you have to PM me where you live!
Old May 18th 2012, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Adventures2012 has a brilliant futureAdventures2012 has a brilliant futureAdventures2012 has a brilliant futureAdventures2012 has a brilliant futureAdventures2012 has a brilliant futureAdventures2012 has a brilliant future

I actually dont consider Australia to be that similar to England, we speak roughly the same language and drive on the correct side of the road but Australia is much more like America really.
So true! It's like the America of the Pacific.
Old May 18th 2012, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

cazzy12 is an unknown quantity at this point

blighty has a lot going for it and a spell abroad can really make you appreciate the good things about the UK!
Old May 19th 2012, 11:55 am
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cazzy12
blighty has a lot going for it and a spell abroad can really make you appreciate the good things about the UK!
+1
Old May 19th 2012, 10:30 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cazzy12

If only everyone would leave the UK for a year and then return to appreciate it!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Back in uk 6months after 6 years in Aus perth/adelaide now confused

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup, totally agree with this. I would have racked up 33 years a couple of days ago and never fitted.
I have been living in the UK for 15 years and have never fitted in, so am going back home, I also know that I will miss some things from my time here and also understand that I will not stay totally in Oz but will continue to travel and make friends world wide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.