Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Back in uk 6months after 6 years in Aus perth/adelaide now confused

Back in uk 6months after 6 years in Aus perth/adelaide now confused

Old Mar 31st 2012, 8:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in uk 6months after 6 years in Aus perth/adelaide now confused

I actually dont consider Australia to be that similar to England, we speak roughly the same language and drive on the correct side of the road but Australia is much more like America really.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
But it's not England...................

Migrants from other parts of the world? Some are happy and thank the Lord every day for Australia, some are miserable as sin and can't wait to get home back to where they belong.........HOME!!!
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:10 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Awww that is just awful. Sorry you had to go through it, but yes sunshine and palm trees don't matter much at the end of the day.

They have palm trees in Torquay you know if you need a fix!!
Awww thanks! Yeah it been a trying week lol! Just put in for my citizenship and have leave booked in Oct so will be leaving then. 6 months to sort everything and save, save ,save! Just got off the phone to my Mum and she said that she would never try to influence me (she's been awesome) but she said now I have made the decision off my own back she is so happy I'm finally come home. She said to me to keep a diary of how I'm feeling now (crap, lol!) and when I come back if I have any "moments" to read that diary to remind me of all the reasons I decided to come home. Wise words
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:15 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I actually dont consider Australia to be that similar to England, we speak roughly the same language and drive on the correct side of the road but Australia is much more like America really.
Totally agree! I always call it the United States of Australia ha ha! Don't get me wrong, its a beautiful country but not for me anymore. Looking forward to proper pubs and the great atmosphere of a Pommy night out, never ever found that here and I've partied in Sydney, Perth, Cairns, Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide since I've been here. Purely in the name of research you understand
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Awww thanks! Yeah it been a trying week lol! Just put in for my citizenship and have leave booked in Oct so will be leaving then. 6 months to sort everything and save, save ,save! Just got off the phone to my Mum and she said that she would never try to influence me (she's been awesome) but she said now I have made the decision off my own back she is so happy I'm finally come home. She said to me to keep a diary of how I'm feeling now (crap, lol!) and when I come back if I have any "moments" to read that diary to remind me of all the reasons I decided to come home. Wise words
Or you could resurrect some of your old BE posts, I have seen some of mine from when I was back in Aus and OMG I was sooo miserable lol!!
Old Apr 1st 2012, 12:26 pm
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

Hi again to the OP. Do you have the time and money to have a few little holidays in some other parts of the UK? I am here today, in Gloucestershire, it is so beautiful and there are fields around me. The blossom is just about to burst out, we are going to walk to a local, very old, pub for lunch across some fields with sheep and horses in, with fossils in them for the kids to hunt. It is very lovely at the moment, and not particularly crowded, a few cars going by but the walk to the pub has no cars at all and no people until we get to the pub! Maybe, before you make the big and expensive decision to move back to Aus, you could have a look at some other areas of the UK. How are you feeling about it all? Have you made any friends?
Old Apr 1st 2012, 9:18 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking at going to that area or Somerset and knowing both areas well they just sound nothing like the place that the OP has been talking about. To be honest even i would want to go back to Australia if i was living where the OP is
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use to be amazed in Aus when other (from non English speaking countries) migrants use to say to me that we were lucky as it must feel more like home as we were the same peoples...huh...I really do not think we have a great deal in common except our language and we drive on the same side of the road....its a bit like saying Mexicans are the same as Spanish...there not at all (my Spanish friends words not mine)
Old May 15th 2012, 9:14 pm
Banned

LA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really nice

I've been here for 6 months. I hate it here. It is so depressing, ugly, miserable full of negative people. The backstabbing and shallowness of the people in unbelievable. Was away for 14 years. 8 in the States and then 6 in SA> Ironically I've found it harder to adjust than my SA born wife. Will not be here for much longer-back to SA or Oz next.
Old May 15th 2012, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Have sent you a private message !!
Old May 15th 2012, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

heartofengland has a spectacular aura aboutheartofengland has a spectacular aura aboutheartofengland has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dave99
After a lot of thought there are quiet a few reasons I decided to move back to the uk and some are still there, they might sound a bit silly but :

1. I felt like I was cut off from the rest of the world, I would hear news from family back in the uk or read websites and compare to perth where not much ever seemed to happen and I felt like I was not a part of the world anymore.

2. I missed family, as most of us do

3. I didnt like the lazy slack working attitude there, even turning up for work seemed to be a chore for people and I would go in everyday and wonder how many havent actually bothered coming in today. I got frustrated with the slackness. Coming back to the uk I found the exact opposite, loads of rules and regulations for everything, to a ridiculous degree, a strict monitoring of stats and performance down to the minute by minute level. After seeing the two extremes I think the aussie way might have the best after all. Certainly less stressful.

4. I always felt like an outsider, people would constantly ask me where I am from, call me a pom, act suprised to learn I was a citizen. After 6 years I got fed up with people acting like I had just landed yesterday.

5. I was in an unhealthy relationship and was separating from my partner of 15 years, she stayed in perth. I guess I am wondering if I mixed up my feelings of wanting to get away from that situation with my feelings about australia, I guess part of me wanted to get as far away as possible and I might have let that cloud my feelings.

So some of these things will still be present if I did go back to aus, but might have just been in my head, maybe I can get past them.
I dont know.
Moving is a big expensive decision, I am confused, I dont know what to do, stay or go back to aus...

Any advice/opinions are much appreciated
Sorry about the break-up of your long-term relationship. That alone is enough to bring anyone to their knees regardless of what country they're living in. Not only are you in a 'new' country, you're suddenly having to adapt to living on your own again. This must be a very testing time for you.

People on here are not going to steer you wrong. Why don't you give it another year in another town, if you can? Plus, you never know, you might meet someone else in that time, and England might seem a whole lot brighter and happier!
Old May 16th 2012, 6:03 am
Banned

What country are you referring to ? I am currently in England but your description certainly doesnt describe it here.

Originally Posted by LA2JHB
I've been here for 6 months. I hate it here. It is so depressing, ugly, miserable full of negative people. The backstabbing and shallowness of the people in unbelievable. Was away for 14 years. 8 in the States and then 6 in SA> Ironically I've found it harder to adjust than my SA born wife. Will not be here for much longer-back to SA or Oz next.
Old May 16th 2012, 7:01 am
Banned

LA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really nice

Sorry Chris its your beloved uk I am referring to
Old May 16th 2012, 7:08 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

What country are you referring to ? I am currently in England but your description certainly doesnt describe it here.
+1
Old May 16th 2012, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

+1
+2
Old May 16th 2012, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LA2JHB
Why not return to US or SA you must of been happy there to spend so long in each of those countries?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.