Article about unhappy Britain

Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article about unhappy Britain

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
To me these surveys can serve only one purpose and that is to ensure that when we consider our return we do it with both eyes open and not because of cheer-leading into it. Those of us who thought that we wanted to return willy-nilly might reconsider when we have honestly thought through our reactions to the changes in the UK we have seen and witnessed first-hand since we left all those decades ago. We also need to consider what we are leaving behind. Facing this reality is painful, particularly if what we currently have doesn't look that great at first or even second glance.

For some, particularly those who miss family and friends, the motives for the return can be obvious but for others who might have alternatives such as moving closer or moving part-time, those alternatives might make better sense IF thorough research suggests it be so.

I know I'm personally very concerned about the UK's broken society and cost of living but then I was when I left for other than economic reasons in 1976 and much is much worse than it was then.

I thought the survey was ridiculous, though.

We know what the weather is like and the UK is far less 'broken' than the US.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I thought the survey was ridiculous, though.

We know what the weather is like and the UK is far less 'broken' than the US.
Yep but I edited my post after you quoted Sally, and so far as I'm aware the US doesn't rate on the global stage for quality of life either, presumably in no small part due to the healthcare and child poverty/hunger issues and leaving aside RACE (broken) and the misuse of the death penalty.

Last week's NYT, 20% of NYC population live in poverty.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 30th 2011 at 8:43 pm. Reason: death penalty
Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Lets be honest if most nationalities won the lottery they'd be whooping it up like mad - we'd more than likely complain about how much we're getting taxed on it and how unfair it all is.
After 7 years in Canada I'd say that described Canadians more than Brits.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

There are some basic facts which do point to a less happy lifestyle in the U.K:

'The UK emerged as having the second lowest hours of sunshine a year, the fourth highest retirement age, and the third lowest spend on health as a percentage of GDP. Britons have 5.5 fewer days holiday a year than the European average and endure a below average government spend on education. UK households also struggle with a high cost of living, with food and diesel prices the highest in Europe, and unleaded petrol, alcohol and cigarettes all costing more than the European average.'
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Returnee
There are some basic facts which do point to a less happy lifestyle in the U.K:

'The UK emerged as having the second lowest hours of sunshine a year, the fourth highest retirement age, and the third lowest spend on health as a percentage of GDP. Britons have 5.5 fewer days holiday a year than the European average and endure a below average government spend on education. UK households also struggle with a high cost of living, with food and diesel prices the highest in Europe, and unleaded petrol, alcohol and cigarettes all costing more than the European average.'
But they were only comparing to few select countries. As was pointed out, what about Finland or the Netherlands for climate?
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:43 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
America has worse economic problems and a higher unemployment rate, but you would never find Americans bashing their own country the way Brits do.

That's right Sally. It's wonderful to be an American. We are, after all, the greatest nation on earth.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 12:55 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
That's right Sally. It's wonderful to be an American. We are, after all, the greatest nation on earth.
I think that's a bit of a stretch, but whatever floats your boat.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 2:10 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused because it seems to me that the majority of the "results" of this poll are objective rather than subjective so it matters not a fig WHAT the negative UK pollster views are as the issues are, for example:

"Working hours, VAT, holidays, spending on health and education – and hours of sunshine."

"Cost of energy, petrol, food, alcohol, cigarettes, and life expectancy."

plus:

"We may still be enjoying the fourth highest household income in Europe, but the high cost of living means that we’re living to work."

This suggests that the average middle class and working class Brit is being taxed to the limit to pay for all of the ills of the broken society.
It's not that confusing. None of us live in Europe so we're not comparing to Europe. Of your list:

-
  • working hours are a dream in the UK compared to where some of us live
  • Over 4 weeks of holiday are mandated every year as opposed to zero days here in the US
  • VAT is a little higher than our sales tax, but our property taxes and healthcare expense dwarf VAT
  • For some of us, sunshine is vastly overrated. I envy Brits their generally mild climate.
  • Cost of energy and food is less in the UK than here
  • I have no idea about cigarettes but I think it's good if they're expensive
  • Healthcare expenditure is less in the UK than in the US and life expectancy is higher.
  • Petrol is very expensive in the UK, I'll give you that

For all these reasons, I think Brits are luckier than they know and only realize it when they leave.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 2:17 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

We also need to consider what we are leaving behind. Facing this reality is painful
Considered it. Found it not one bit painful. The only painful thing for me is waiting 18 months to leave.

I don't think those who see the UK in a more positive light than you are 'cheerleading.' I think we just have a different perspective on 'broken.'

Here in 'the greatest country in the world' there are vast tent cities filled with hardworking people who lost their homes through no fault of their own. Gangs in many cities make UK gangs look like rank amateurs. The meth problem makes binge drinking look quaint by comparison. Our government has been rendered completely dysfunctional by massive amounts of corporate money distorting the system. Less than 50% of the people even bother to vote and that's in a good year. There are almost 50 million people without any access to health care. On a regular basis, random people shoot complete strangers en masse. And all of this is totally ignored by the media. By contrast, every one of England's social problems is magnified ten-fold by their media despite their being in general much less serious.

I think today's Britain is far better than the one I left in 1985 - or maybe I've just seen enough of one alternative to gain a different view. Either way, I am going back with my eyes wide open, but truly thrilled at the chance to appreciate the good things this time.

Perhaps if you currently reside in a place with less social problems, and less poverty than the UK, and perhaps if sunshine is important to you, you should look at the countries that rate more highly on that highly selective survey. Each of us must do what makes us happy - but just because I want something different from you, that doesn't make me an unthinking cheerleader.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Oct 1st 2011 at 2:28 am.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Britain has the highest Obesity rate in Europe. Do you think it is connected to the high rate of unhappiness as reported in the survey? Comfort food, perhaps?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Returnee
Britain has the highest Obesity rate in Europe. Do you think it is connected to the high rate of unhappiness as reported in the survey? Comfort food, perhaps?
So why are Australians fatter?....they are supposed to be happy

....and Americans
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:19 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes a very good point, Aussies are right at the top with Americans so they must be REALLY unhappy These 'survey's' only serve one purpose and that is to make expats feel better about what they have done. Oddly enough many of the factors that apparently make the UK the worst place to live in Europe are exactly the same here or indeed worse, less holidays, more expensive food, high retirement age etc etc. The difference is the Brits almost want to feel downtrodden and badly off even if they aren't. Most of our British friends in England are doing fine and have good lives, maybe they are the 5% that are happy in the UK ?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:42 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes a very good point, Aussies are right at the top with Americans so they must be REALLY unhappy These 'survey's' only serve one purpose and that is to make expats feel better about what they have done. Oddly enough many of the factors that apparently make the UK the worst place to live in Europe are exactly the same here or indeed worse, less holidays, more expensive food, high retirement age etc etc. The difference is the Brits almost want to feel downtrodden and badly off even if they aren't. Most of our British friends in England are doing fine and have good lives, maybe they are the 5% that are happy in the UK ?
And add me to your friends 5%.

There ARE really awful places here - I was in Wythenshawe town centre last week and when the doors of the lift opened I stepped into the alternate broken Britain that The Sun and The Daily Fail always bang on about. It was like a scene with Vicky Pollard in Little Britain and Shameless all rolled into one.

But I never felt intimidated in any way at all, just a bit shocked to be honest.

HOWEVER having said that, this is NOT the norm, that was the first time I had seen Broken Britain in over 6 months of living back here, I mainly go to the lovelier parts of this country.

Oh and there are certainly places in Australia where I wouldn't visit either.

BUT none of these people were homeless pushing trollies around with their belongings or living in cars or tents becase they have lost their homes as in the USA.

And BTW I have noticed that for the most part I haven't seen obesity like I did in Australia or when I have visited the USA.

The media in Australia and the USA are very good at banging their own drum and painting everything in a positive light.

The UK does the complete opposite and paints a very dark and dismal scene which doesn't resemble most people's experiences especially those of us who have lived elsewhere.

When I was planning to come back here, no way did I read surveys or polls or anything else of that nature.

It's all about how you feel about where you live, not other people's experiences.

Last edited by Beedubya; Oct 1st 2011 at 11:10 am.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:53 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Very good post and spot on, it is all about perception. As you say the media in Australia will tell us endlessly how Australia is the greatest place on Earth and the British media will tell us that society is broken, everyone fears for their job and no-one can afford to go on holiday or buy food. Both extremes are ridiculous but the citizens of each place seem to lap it up happily. When I was recently in the UK I saw no evidence of this Broken Britain some seem to belief exists, I saw some places I wouldn't want to live but equally a few days ago we were in Woodridge which is a few miles from us and I commented to my wife how it was like going to a different world.
People looking to leave the country will love these meaningless surveys as they give them further ammunition and reasons to leave.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 1:07 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

We were home for the summer and while there are some places that are less than salubrious, there are many, many more that are absolutely stunning.

Friends and family were tightening their belts with the cost of living rises but no-one was homeless, hungry, in need of healthcare that couldn't be accessed.

One family member has lost his job and is receiving benefits and all the help he needs in order to get back to work. Another family member is on maternity leave and receiving her statutory entitlements until she returns to work next year.

Hubby is on expensive medication which costs us a small fortune over here. Back home, he could receive it at minimal cost and free once he reaches sixty.

A local initiative designed to further green issues has a mini-bus that residents of the borough can access for local journeys to supermarkets and shopping centres at a minimal cost. And its used, particularly by young mums and pensioners.
People eat well, the standard and variety of food, clothing, household goods is just amazing.

Having lived and worked in five different countries over the last 15 years, I can honestly say with hand on heart that the UK is the best of the bunch.

Just wish we didn't have such a penchant for moaning though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.