Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Old Jul 3rd 2006, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
Steady on. I was simply stating how much we pay in NI as the post I was replying to had said they doubted a previous poster paid hundreds in NI contributions.

I never said I wish I paid less NI, or that we should get rid of anything. What I said was there seems to be little incentive to work hard and save hard as most of it will end up being be taken off you when you are old anyway.
I work hard, earn a reasonable chunk and pay a lot in tax and NI. But, I still have more money at the and of the day than I had in Oz. And it's nice to know the NHS is there if I need it.

A lot of people whinge about paying the TV licence fee, but all they have to do is live overseas and see what sh*ite - eg in Oz, NZ or USA - passes for entertainment and I'm sure they would gladly pay double.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Surely this all depends on your particular circumstances anyway? Mine were that I have lots of friends and interests in the UK, but just decided to give Aus a go. Once I got sick of beaches, Thai restaurants and coffee shops (after about a month), and realised that there's bog all else there, I realised I was on borrowed time. No amount of Aussies explaining to me that I was in "paradise" could make up for the soul-destroying boredom of the place, so I came back to the UK. History, tolerance, opportunities, humour and creativity abound here and I haven't looked back. No more picking up the newspaper to read witless drivel about my home country. No more television where "The Price is Right" is considered cutting-edge TV. No more pubs that don't resemble betting shops with crud lager that the Aussies refer to as "beer", and giant plasma TVs showing bogans in vests chasing a rugby ball and punching each other whilst the commentator shouts "Ripper!".

Each to their own I suppose. Good luck to all hoping to live the Aussie dream of a better lifestyle, where they'll be outdoors all the time enjoying healthy pursuits. That's what I say.
We have scarily similar views
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

AdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant future

This is pretty much an australia bashing thread, there doesn't seem to be many people who went to other countries complaining!
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 7:24 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamF
This is pretty much an australia bashing thread, there doesn't seem to be many people who went to other countries complaining!

Many of us have moved abroad for what ever personal reason... After a while we all find something to moan about - Here in Dubai the tv viewing is shite, continual repeats & adverts, food choice is shite ( unless your prepared to pay through the nose for waitrose / iceland products ) which sad to say Iam.
The list for me is pretty endless, and the only reason I moved to Dubai in the first place was to be with my husband - now wer'e going home.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
I work hard, earn a reasonable chunk and pay a lot in tax and NI. But, I still have more money at the and of the day than I had in Oz. And it's nice to know the NHS is there if I need it.

A lot of people whinge about paying the TV licence fee, but all they have to do is live overseas and see what sh*ite - eg in Oz, NZ or USA - passes for entertainment and I'm sure they would gladly pay double.
I'm fully expecting not to have as much money in Oz, we're not going for the money. It's just the right time for an adventure for us.

Here in the UK we have very little free time and what we do have we like to spend outdoors whenever possible. The thought of having good weather for the majority of the time is hugely appealing. I am so sick of sitting at work while the sun is shining, day dreaming of getting home to get my racing bike out and blast off for a few miles in the sun - just for it to be tanking down by knocking off time. We have few close friends here and little family and we are not pub regulars. The thing that I am looking forward is the cafe culture and the outdoors lifestyle, I just hope I dont get bored of it too quick.

As for TV - We're not moving to Oz to stay in and watch TV all day so it doesn't really matter how crap it is. The TV we do watch is usually the American rubbish anyway like CSI, Law & Order and that sort of thing - which I dare say they will have over there?

I'm not saying it will be the place for us forever, maybe we will return in a couple of years, who knows - I just hope I wont want to return just because I miss the pub if you know what I mean.

Anyway, may all be a moot point if we don't get our visas.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fully expecting not to have as much money in Oz, we're not going for the money. It's just the right time for an adventure for us.

Here in the UK we have very little free time and what we do have we like to spend outdoors whenever possible. The thought of having good weather for the majority of the time is hugely appealing. I am so sick of sitting at work while the sun is shining, day dreaming of getting home to get my racing bike out and blast off for a few miles in the sun - just for it to be tanking down by knocking off time. We have few close friends here and little family and we are not pub regulars. The thing that I am looking forward is the cafe culture and the outdoors lifestyle, I just hope I dont get bored of it too quick.

As for TV - We're not moving to Oz to stay in and watch TV all day so it doesn't really matter how crap it is. The TV we do watch is usually the American rubbish anyway like CSI, Law & Order and that sort of thing - which I dare say they will have over there?

I'm not saying it will be the place for us forever, maybe we will return in a couple of years, who knows - I just hope I wont want to return just because I miss the pub if you know what I mean.

Dont move to Melbourne then

As for the rest of the OZ it ain't much fun living outdoors when you have to 'slip, slap, slop' every hour then you spend the rest of the time wiping it from your eyes and trying to avoid eating flies whilst the mosquitoes are eating you. It gets to evening and everything shuts down and it gets gets very dark, very early.. next thing you know you are turning on the TV and that is where desperation seeks in and you are checking out the returning forum
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Nobody goes to Oz for the TV. But it's amazing how quickly you turn to it, especially during the winter months. The number of adverts will drive you crazy. Guaranteed.

I smile when I read the term "cafe culture". Sure, there is some of it in the cities, but SFA elsewhere. But why go to the other ends of the Earth for a wannabee cafe culture, when the real thing is available so much closer; in France or Italy?

As for the outdoor lifestyle, remember that for a good 3-4 months of the year the weather is a killer (literally) - you won't want to be outside. Oh, and check out the hours worked by Aussies, you'll find they work some of the longest hours in the western world. Just in case you were tempted to use the phrase "more quality time in Oz".
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Dont move to Melbourne then
Now you have me worried - what's wrong with Melbourne? ( That is where we are hopefully heading ).

To be honest, if we go and don't like it then we'll come home - I'm obviously hoping that we go and we really enjoy it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

I'd rather be sat here in a few years time typing a post on the forum that says "been there, didnt like it, came home" - than typing one along the lines of "visa just expired, never went to Oz, really wish I'd tried it."

I think I'll start a new thread " Anyone moved back and HAS regretted it? ".
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Now you have me worried - what's wrong with Melbourne? ( That is where we are hopefully heading ).

To be honest, if we go and don't like it then we'll come home - I'm obviously hoping that we go and we really enjoy it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

I'd rather be sat here in a few years time typing a post on the forum that says "been there, didnt like it, came home" - than typing one along the lines of "visa just expired, never went to Oz, really wish I'd tried it."

I think I'll start a new thread " Anyone moved back and HAS regretted it? ".
I have been in Melbourne for nearly three years and I LOVE where I live. The weather is very unsettled here though - hence the quote. Often weekend BBQ's are taken in the shelters due to summer rain which can be a large downpour.
The flies will drive you crazy in the summer and you can't go anywhere without the rid spray. Try staying out at night and you will get eaten alive.
We live about an hour from the CBD and Beach in the Dandenong ranges. It was the only place that we could get a good size garden at a reasonable price outside of the new suburban hell holes. Unfortunately we are finding that although we love where we live there are many draw backs with having a rural plot and 2 acres. Time is short for a start and commuting hours are longer. Part time work is virtually non existent.
For us we think that the UK will offer us as a family a better and more fulfilling lifestyle. We came here with the same view as you - for an adventure and the time was right. We have indeed had a great adventure but now it's time to move on... Australia is not the place for us to be tied to for life! It's amazing how many older Poms you speak to that feel that they have been trapped here for over 60 years and at many times they wished that they could have returned. I wish you luck with your adventure and I hope that you have as much fun as we have.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
I have been in Melbourne for nearly three years and I LOVE where I live. The weather is very unsettled here though - hence the quote. Often weekend BBQ's are taken in the shelters due to summer rain which can be a large downpour.
The flies will drive you crazy in the summer and you can't go anywhere without the rid spray. Try staying out at night and you will get eaten alive.
We live about an hour from the CBD and Beach in the Dandenong ranges. It was the only place that we could get a good size garden at a reasonable price outside of the new suburban hell holes. Unfortunately we are finding that although we love where we live there are many draw backs with having a rural plot and 2 acres. Time is short for a start and commuting hours are longer. Part time work is virtually non existent.
For us we think that the UK will offer us as a family a better and more fulfilling lifestyle. We came here with the same view as you - for an adventure and the time was right. We have indeed had a great adventure but now it's time to move on... Australia is not the place for us to be tied to for life! It's amazing how many older Poms you speak to that feel that they have been trapped here for over 60 years and at many times they wished that they could have returned. I wish you luck with your adventure and I hope that you have as much fun as we have.

I had heard that it could be very unsettled, and also that it tends to be milder than other areas.

We love the idea of a rural style home with a bit of land, but to be honest I think it would be too much work for us. I actually like "the suburban hell" so a nice house in a good suburb is an appealing option to me.

Depending on where the jobs are for us we also like the idea of renting an apartment in the city for a while, to see what city centre living is like.

We are hoping to be able to keep our UK house and rent it out, that way we will always have a place in the UK to come back to if need be. The short term goal is to go over and put 3 years or so in, so we can apply for citizenship. After the 3 or so years we will decide whether to stay, try somewhere else or come back to the UK. At least once we have citizenship we can come and go as we please later on.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I had heard that it could be very unsettled, and also that it tends to be milder than other areas.

We love the idea of a rural style home with a bit of land, but to be honest I think it would be too much work for us. I actually like "the suburban hell" so a nice house in a good suburb is an appealing option to me.

Depending on where the jobs are for us we also like the idea of renting an apartment in the city for a while, to see what city centre living is like.

We are hoping to be able to keep our UK house and rent it out, that way we will always have a place in the UK to come back to if need be. The short term goal is to go over and put 3 years or so in, so we can apply for citizenship. After the 3 or so years we will decide whether to stay, try somewhere else or come back to the UK. At least once we have citizenship we can come and go as we please later on.
I think you are wise in keeping your house and letting it out, I would also put your things in storage and just take a few personal things to make it more homely. If you return your costs will be down and if you stay you can then have the expense of sending what you want out with you. I didn't take anything with me apart from what I needed and also on my return. The cost to me was only my flights. I never move my belongings unless I'm at least 99% sure I'm going to stay and it takes a couple of years to really know. With the cost that some people pay in transporting their worldly goods backwards and forwards, they probably could have brought an appartment with the money.

I liked Melbourne when I was there, but like anywhere it what you do for a living and whether you get work, where you live and the people you meet, whether you enjoy the experience or not. I was lucky in Melbourne I had some great friends and a good social life, other places sometimes where harder. But you can get the same problem if you moved somewhere new in UK.

Enjoy the adventure and remember there is a world out there if you decide Australia is not for you.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I think you are wise in keeping your house and letting it out, I would also put your things in storage and just take a few personal things to make it more homely. If you return your costs will be down and if you stay you can then have the expense of sending what you want out with you. I didn't take anything with me apart from what I needed and also on my return. The cost to me was only my flights. I never move my belongings unless I'm at least 99% sure I'm going to stay and it takes a couple of years to really know. With the cost that some people pay in transporting their worldly goods backwards and forwards, they probably could have brought an appartment with the money.

I liked Melbourne when I was there, but like anywhere it what you do for a living and whether you get work, where you live and the people you meet, whether you enjoy the experience or not. I was lucky in Melbourne I had some great friends and a good social life, other places sometimes where harder. But you can get the same problem if you moved somewhere new in UK.

Enjoy the adventure and remember there is a world out there if you decide Australia is not for you.
Melbourne has a lot to offer a single person / couple in the CBD. There is a great friendly vibe there at night time and it is clean
We have often said that if we didn't have children then city life in Melbourne would be perfect. An apartment in Port Phillip would be my ideal.
My OH works in the city and he still enjoys going to work every day. That was never the case when commuting into London.
The CBD is also well placed with good beaches nearby. The public transport works well and there are many places within easy travelling distance.
For me with a family we found that city life wasn't right and Suburbia offered no better security than the UK and it came with smaller gardens. Grid system traffic is not to my liking.
As for milder, yes it is but I will take the seasons here any day over the wet/ dry seasons of QLD. Skiing is a buzz too although rather limited and expensive compared to Europe.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mercedes

Great post - thanks. We were going to leave our stuff here in storage, but thought that there are things we will definatly want to take. By the time we have packed those items and sent them, we may as well have sent the lot. It might help us settle more quickly as well if we have our familiar things with us. It's still early days yet. We are not going to make any form plans and dates until we have that little sticker in the passport - there is no guarantee that we will be given visas.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Granted US TV is, in general, mind numbing shite, anyone know how much TV, internet and phone service in the UK costs (combined)?

We send Cox Com (don't laugh) $100 a month for dig TV, high speed 'net and local phone svc. Which isn't too bad.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Granted US TV is, in general, mind numbing shite, anyone know how much TV, internet and phone service in the UK costs (combined)?

We send Cox Com (don't laugh) $100 a month for dig TV, high speed 'net and local phone svc. Which isn't too bad.
I think UK tv is now pretty shite as well. Anything decent tends to now be repeats and even Sky movies, I've seen them before on dvd or cinema.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.