Anyone leaving Canada?

Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:57 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone leaving Canada?

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
Hi, we are all going out Friday 13th (hope your not supersticious!). Its a few people's biffdays, would be great to see you. Didn't get a chance to chat when i last saw u! Hope u recovered!!
Yeah, i'll be there this time! i'm good, kids are sick tho', been off school all week. Had we decided where we're going?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:07 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ciderman
One of the biggest shocks for me about Canada is the environment thing. From the outside world the perception- for me anyway- was that Canada was a very environmentally friendly country, caring for the environment.

Having lived in Alberta for 3 years and BC for 3 years it's clear it's the exact opposite. People leaving cars/trucks etc. idling unnecessarily, outside house lights permanently on, seeming inability to do anything without turning a key- cutting the grass, trimming the edge, washing the car, clearing up leaves.

At the larger level the disregard for the landscape and wildlife is quite shocking- hill sides clear cut, streams, rivers and ground water polluted, bears indiscriminately shot because the local law enforcement can't be bothered with the process of moving them out of the area when they cause problems.

The biggest shock of all was reading a book on the oil sands in northern Alberta; I think it's called "Tar sands- dirty oil and the future of a continent". All I can say is that I'm glad I don't live anywhere near there anymore.....yes we need oil but come on use a bit of common sense.

I'm not a greenie or tree hugger by any means but Canada is one of the last great wilderness areas left in the world and the country seems to be doing it's best to wipe it out of existence rather than looking to places (Europe for example) that have made that mistake in the past and trying to learn from it. Yes Canada has numerous "protected" National Parks such as Banff but "protected" is often used loosely.

The UK's far from perfect but with regard to the environment it's light years ahead. We have a thing here in BC called Air Care that's a bit like the British MOT except it's only for vehicle emissions. The provincial government are thinking of getting rid of it because new cars are a lot cleaner on emmissions- yeah, but the aim of Air Care is to ensure cars continue to be that way. Smacks of cost cutting methinks.
You want to try working in law enforcement and being called out to a bear or cougar - we've had more than a few in Burnaby. We once waited 5 hours for a wildlife guy to show up. The only option we have is the shot gun. It is still relatively rare when we have to shoot one.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
You want to try working in law enforcement and being called out to a bear or cougar - we've had more than a few in Burnaby. We once waited 5 hours for a wildlife guy to show up. The only option we have is the shot gun. It is still relatively rare when we have to shoot one.
Just love those who have never been in a situation judging how it should be dealt with. Do something that's wrong, don't do something that's wrong also.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dboy
Originally Posted by The Aviator
Just love those who have never been in a situation judging how it should be dealt with. Do something that's wrong, don't do something that's wrong also.
Fair comments. I'm not judging how the situation should be dealt with as I've never been confronted with an aggressive animal and needed to make the life or death decision so I don't have experience to draw on; just a making a comment that's all.

From the outside, with the "oh my god!" slant presented by the media, it seems that the first action is always to shoot the animal. We never hear about the delays you mention with the wildlife officers coming out to handle things. Any plans for the police to carry tranquiliser guns like the wildlife guys have?

I still think that a lot of the problems in areas like Burnaby Mountain, Coquitlam etc with wildlife intrusions from bears and cougars is the result of people being careless with rubbish disposal and leaving doors open. Where I live in Maple Ridge I'm forever clearing up rubbish from my yard that a bear has dragged over from someone else's rubbish bins. Bins are put out the night before without lids on and in some cases, bags not even in bins.

We've hiked many times in BC and Alberta and have seen bears on a number of occasions and fresh signs on many others. We've taken the time to learn about bears and cougars etc. and how to minimise/handle contact but I still find it frustrating that so many people put themselves in dangerous situations through lack of knowledge and then blame the animal for the result. Yes there are situations that can't be avoided and unfortunately an animal or human is often killed as a result.

At the end of the day the wild animals are not intruding on our habitat; we're intruding on their environment so maybe we should make more effort?

Last edited by Ciderman; Nov 2nd 2009 at 4:22 pm. Reason: typo
Old Nov 7th 2009, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
Indeed, count me in !! What area do you live in ?

For me, although IMO some things are better here (overall it's cleaner, nicer parks, good recreation etc for kids), and some worse (endless urban sprawl, fewer job prospects, rubbish tv etc). Overall most things balance out in comparison to the UK. But I don't feel at home here at all.

I find it dull too. Everything is very insular and inward looking. People I knew in the UK used to talk about anything and everything under the sun. Here conversation and debate seems so limited. Anything that happens outside the city or province (or at a stretch N. America), may as well be taking place on a different planet. Yes, it's a decent, pleasant place with nice scenery, but it seems such a backwater at times where the status quo must be maintained at all costs. Things like entrepeneurship, enterprise, innovation and different thinking seem stifled at every turn.

I feel as though everything is going on elsewhere and life has stopped here. It's hard to clarify, but in the UK, I felt part of something and close to what is happening in the world. Now I feel like I've retired to somewhere quiet, boring, and where not very much of interest ever happens.
What you have written sounds very much like most of Australia as well - I think this is a common theme in countries of the "New World" that don't have the history and diversity of Europe.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
I think this is a common theme in countries of the "New World" that don't have the history and diversity of Europe.
Or maybe some people just don't adapt that well.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Ah but if someone's realised that the country they've emmigrated to is not for them- for whatever reason- and they have the choice and wherewithal to "fix it" by going back to the UK why would/should they want to adapt?

I can see why people may be fearful of going through all the upheaval, financial loss and change again, so choose to make a go of it in their adopted country and respect them for this. Many people are also afraid of being seen as a failure for returning but the real failure is being in a situation that you don't like, having the power to change it and then not doing anything about it. This equally applies to people in the UK who are unhappy with their lot and continually complain about life there, have the ability to fix it and yet do nothing.

We only get one shot at life so owe it to ourselves to ensure it's a good one.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

yep, and some do adapt well and still don't like it.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ciderman
Ah but if someone's realised that the country they've emmigrated to is not for them- for whatever reason- and they have the choice and wherewithal to "fix it" by going back to the UK why would/should they want to adapt?

I can see why people may be fearful of going through all the upheaval, financial loss and change again, so choose to make a go of it in their adopted country and respect them for this. Many people are also afraid of being seen as a failure for returning but the real failure is being in a situation that you don't like, having the power to change it and then not doing anything about it. This equally applies to people in the UK who are unhappy with their lot and continually complain about life there, have the ability to fix it and yet do nothing.

We only get one shot at life so owe it to ourselves to ensure it's a good one.
It is purely a personal choice, what works for some does not work for others. I know of one family came out, gung ho, bought a car, a house, furnished it and went 'back home' after 3 months. Immigration may not be for everyone, my opinion can only be based on my experiences. I find it hard to swallow though when people try and excuse they they're not adapting to being the country or it's peoples fault, not theirs. What astounds me also is people who moan about the UK, move overseas, moan about that and then UK was not so bad after all. Countries are different, living there is way different to visiting. You don't get to know a culture until you are immersed in it.

Try it, don't like it, do something about it, quit moaning. The people that fail are those that complain and do nothing.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
yep, and some do adapt well and still don't like it.
Depends on how do you define adapting, perhaps as opposed to assimilating.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

.....What astounds me also is people who moan about the UK, move overseas, moan about that and then UK was not so bad after all. Countries are different, living there is way different to visiting. You don't get to know a culture until you are immersed in it.
I think it's a case of you don't know what you've had until it's gone and sometimes it takes a major upheaval such as emmigrating to another country to realise that- dumb as that may seem. We expats emmigrate with the best intentions and most realise that culture shock will be a challenge. Hindsight's a wonderful thing, shame we can't subscribe to it.