British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Any Scottish sites for exchanging private properties (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/any-scottish-sites-exchanging-private-properties-935050/)

dougal03 Sep 28th 2020 2:20 pm

Any Scottish sites for exchanging private properties

Many years past I had an acquaintance who started a site in europe for ex-pats. who were looking to relocate back to UK & could do a permanent exchange with someone taking the reverse path.I know this happens often with council house exchanges but wonder if this exists for private owners of property.I could be interested myself if each of us were looking at this option.

scot47 Oct 4th 2020 6:24 pm

Re: Any Scottish sites for exchanging private properties

I have never come across this. Why not do the conventional thing of selling and then buying ?
I cannot see any benefits in a swop. And can imagine lots of "issues" !

Rosecampion Oct 5th 2020 4:10 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12918451)
I have never come across this. Why not do the conventional thing of selling and then buying ?
I cannot see any benefits in a swop. And can imagine lots of "issues" !

The very thought of the paperwork that would be involved here in France is enough to give me palpitations.

scot47 Oct 5th 2020 4:37 am

Scottish lawyers, who must be involved in a property transaction, are never happy vto change their ways !

dougal03 Oct 5th 2020 10:58 am

As I said,I only knew about this because of my acquaintance &,at that time some 18 years ago,I had a property for sale in Spain.Amazingly to me I got enquiries from all over but mostly on the Continent.But I went down the usual path & sold here.The site is still going & appears busy.I did not cancel because I had paid my one-off subscription & maybe I would want to use the facility again.Strangely a few months ago I was contacted by a Scottish man interested in a Spanish property in exchange for one he had,but it was not in a place I wanted to relocate to,but got me thinking.Of course there are things to overcome when exchanging foreign properties but obviously not insurmountable if this site is credible.Unfortunately though there does not seem to be many Scottish exchanges registered hence my query so asking if anyone has seen a similar one.It's just another avenue to investigate although I would prefer to sell as I have done before.Having dealt with lawyers in Scotland & Spain many times I am also aware that they will be accommodating where a fee is in the offing.