British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Any regrets on moving back to the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/any-regrets-moving-back-uk-739275/)

coedyddinas Nov 18th 2011 1:52 am

Any regrets on moving back to the UK?

Just wanted to ask whether anyone has any regrets on making the move back to the UK? We are considering a move back but a little hesitant and would be keen to hear how the transition back to the motherland has been for others :)

quoll Nov 18th 2011 10:00 am

Re: Any regrets on moving back to the UK?

Not thus far but it is early days. However, I dont expect any mind shatteringly significant regrets. For me it has been the little things - my hair suddenly deciding to go all kinky and curly and having the misfortune to get a hairdresser who seemed (whatever she said) to have the one Pob style in mind (now back to a more manageable Judi Dench thank heavens).

I also miss the wide car parking spaces and a shower with power but apart from that, nothing to write home about.

We are in an odd position though - older, not needing to work and living with my parents (they need the support) so I guess a lot of issues which beset most returnees havent applied in our case.

Bevm Nov 18th 2011 11:59 am

Originally Posted by coedyddinas (Post 9739683)
Just wanted to ask whether anyone has any regrets on making the move back to the UK? We are considering a move back but a little hesitant and would be keen to hear how the transition back to the motherland has been for others :)

You don't say where you are, and I think it makes a difference. The problems people have with the main locations -- Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the US -- are all different, as are the things people miss when they come back. If anything.

Bev

dunroving Nov 18th 2011 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 9740196)
Not thus far but it is early days. However, I dont expect any mind shatteringly significant regrets. For me it has been the little things - my hair suddenly deciding to go all kinky and curly and having the misfortune to get a hairdresser who seemed (whatever she said) to have the one Pob style in mind (now back to a more manageable Judi Dench thank heavens).

I also miss the wide car parking spaces and a shower with power but apart from that, nothing to write home about.

We are in an odd position though - older, not needing to work and living with my parents (they need the support) so I guess a lot of issues which beset most returnees havent applied in our case.

What is a Pob style? Posh Old Broad? :confused: ;)

margaretmwilson Nov 18th 2011 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9740432)
What is a Pob style? Posh Old Broad? :confused: ;)

Posh bob!!! based on the hairstyle by "Posh spice". Been there, done that hairstyle, lol.

quoll Nov 18th 2011 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by margaretmwilson (Post 9740677)
Posh bob!!! based on the hairstyle by "Posh spice". Been there, done that hairstyle, lol.

And isnt it ghastly? Even my haircut blind husband has noticed how many women in UK have it. Sorry, you probably loved it at the time but it was never going to suit my mad curls!

margaretmwilson Nov 18th 2011 5:27 pm

I liked it at the time because it was "easy" and I'm lazy with my hair. I too have the "waves" and here in Florida humidity I tend to look like Monica in the episode of Friends where her hair just got bigger and bigger. Thankfully I have, at last, found a great hairdresser who is a master with the scissors, I am going for a haircut today so I hope I don't live to regret it:fingerscrossed:

coedyddinas Nov 18th 2011 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by margaretmwilson (Post 9740872)
I liked it at the time because it was "easy" and I'm lazy with my hair. I too have the "waves" and here in Florida humidity I tend to look like Monica in the episode of Friends where her hair just got bigger and bigger. Thankfully I have, at last, found a great hairdresser who is a master with the scissors, I am going for a haircut today so I hope I don't live to regret it:fingerscrossed:

We are currently living in Australia, we were in Sydney for about 12 years and moved to Brisbane about 4 years ago. We have a house here that we would rent out if we moved to UK - which is looking likely, I do love it when I come back to visit, love the shops and dare I say it - the cold! Love the crisp fresh days, I was 20 when I moved and my position is, as crazy as it sounds, is that I want to experience living in the UK, with my husband. I know it won't be plain sailing but I am aware of that and we are researching and planning as much as we can on this end, but haven't mentioned it to the family (all my family are in the UK) as I don't want to get anyones hopes up just yet.

Sunshine111 Nov 18th 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by coedyddinas (Post 9739683)

In a word no! been away 10 yrs, lived in Nz and last 6 yrs in Perth, Australia. Think everyone's situation is different. Just plan it and decide what you want from it. People say it can take up to 18mths to settle. Depends on where you want to live too.

We decided on a fresh start and have moved somewhere new. We have x2 young kids under 5 yrs and wanted to get off on the right foot. Takes time to make friends but seem to be further ahead in the last couple of months than I was in a couple of years in Perth! Good luck. Go for it, maybe expect to look outside the square and even be creative but most of all give
yourself time. Dont believe all the doom and gloom! Funny, I watched an advert for a program on telly today called "Adventures in Britain" some of the footage made me wonder why we left in the first place?!! Been back 3 mths and soooo glad to be home, even after all these years. No place like home, as the saying goes....

coedyddinas Nov 18th 2011 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sunshine111 (Post 9741042)
In a word no! been away 10 yrs, lived in Nz and last 6 yrs in Perth, Australia. Think everyone's situation is different. Just plan it and decide what you want from it. People say it can take up to 18mths to settle. Depends on where you want to live too.

We decided on a fresh start and have moved somewhere new. We have x2 young kids under 5 yrs and wanted to get off on the right foot. Takes time to make friends but seem to be further ahead in the last couple of months than I was in a couple of years in Perth! Good luck. Go for it, maybe expect to look outside the square and even be creative but most of all give
yourself time. Dont believe all the doom and gloom! Funny, I watched an advert for a program on telly today called "Adventures in Britain" some of the footage made me wonder why we left in the first place?!! Been back 3 mths and soooo glad to be home, even after all these years. No place like home, as the saying goes....

This is reassuring to hear, I agree I think everyone's situation is different, we would love to see more of the UK & Europe if we come back plus weekend visits to the family in Wales, we are looking to live in Exeter or Bristol, Oxfordshire would be nice but too expensive I think. First off I have to find a job, preferably at one of the Universities, I have great references and experience but not much in the way of qualifications. Once I have a job then we will decide where to live, thanks for sending through your thoughts.

Sunshine111 Nov 19th 2011 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by coedyddinas (Post 9741341)
This is reassuring to hear, I agree I think everyone's situation is different, we would love to see more of the UK & Europe if we come back plus weekend visits to the family in Wales, we are looking to live in Exeter or Bristol, Oxfordshire would be nice but too expensive I think. First off I have to find a job, preferably at one of the Universities, I have great references and experience but not much in the way of qualifications. Once I have a job then we will decide where to live, thanks for sending through your thoughts.

I have family in Wiltshire and know Bristol is a good hub.. (don't know Exeter or Oxfordshire as well, to comment, tho did consider Oxfordshire ourselves, but wasnt central enough for us and family)

You will find something. Can remember myself having many a dis-hearted moment wondering if we were going to find the right area and affordabilty and whether we would find a good community, school etc. Fortunately, we seem to have got off to a good start so far. Seemed at times to be such a leap of faith. We joke that people leave the Uk to get a live where as we have returned to get one!!

coedyddinas Nov 19th 2011 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sunshine111 (Post 9742661)
I have family in Wiltshire and know Bristol is a good hub.. (don't know Exeter or Oxfordshire as well, to comment, tho did consider Oxfordshire ourselves, but wasnt central enough for us and family)

You will find something. Can remember myself having many a dis-hearted moment wondering if we were going to find the right area and affordabilty and whether we would find a good community, school etc. Fortunately, we seem to have got off to a good start so far. Seemed at times to be such a leap of faith. We joke that people leave the Uk to get a live where as we have returned to get one!!

I get disheartned when I hear people talk about the doom and gloom in the UK, last night I was at a barbeque and one of the guests had just left UK to come to OZ and said that the whole economy was terrible and not a good time to return to the UK (we didn't mention that we were contemplating it), anyway your reply has lifted my spirits. My first hurdle is to find a job before I leave australia and we are not in any particular rush, going to work on my CV today :)

quoll Nov 20th 2011 6:58 am

Originally Posted by coedyddinas (Post 9743116)
I get disheartned when I hear people talk about the doom and gloom in the UK, last night I was at a barbeque and one of the guests had just left UK to come to OZ and said that the whole economy was terrible and not a good time to return to the UK (we didn't mention that we were contemplating it), anyway your reply has lifted my spirits. My first hurdle is to find a job before I leave australia and we are not in any particular rush, going to work on my CV today :)

Good luck with the job hunt! Remember that people making the move to the other side of the world always have their justifications well entrenched - in another couple of years said chap will probably be doing just what you are doing now!

dunroving Nov 20th 2011 8:36 am

Originally Posted by coedyddinas (Post 9743116)

Generally speaking, if you talk to someone who has recently moved to Aus (or the US, or country x, y, or z), they are going to tell you the UK is going to the dogs.

If you talk to someone who has decided to return to the UK, they'll tell you the UK is paradise on earth (and Aus, the US, or country x, y, or z are going to the dogs).

There are exceptions of course, but you have to take a lot of conversations (in real time, or with folks on BE) with a pinch of salt, and consider where they are coming from/going to.

Cumbrian Lass Nov 20th 2011 8:56 am

After spending 10yrs in Alberta,we finally took the bull by the horns and moved back in August this year 2011.Its very early days and we still have the house in Alberta to go back to if all else fails (but i doubt it). Apart from the house situation, which is really hard to find a nice spacious rental,i think we are pretty much settled. My son found it hard for the first month,but i think he is taking it in his stride (he was 3yrs when we moved and is now 13yrs)
All those VOID feelings i had for the 10yrs of living in Canada have now gone,i feel at home and settled.:thumbsup: