Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

View Poll Results: Happy with your choice of coming back to Blighty?
Yes, wild horses would not shift me, a happy chappy
25.29%
Yes, but would not discount moving overseas again!
20.69%
OK, but I am looking to move on OR about to move on
14.94%
No, the worse thing I ever did, GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!
39.08%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:16 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

People wish for what they haven't got, when they are given the chance to get to the place they they wished to be they wish for the things they left behind. Go back to the begining and it all starts again, they wish for what they had and so on and so on and so on.....

Except for me, I love being back here.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:17 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

i think age has a part to play here. i was 32 when i went to oz and i always thought had i been a younger person i may have been able to stay as i would have had nothing to compare against. the fact i had worked in the uk for 10 years prior to leaving (and all mostly positive) made it difficult to accept some of the isolated thinking and out of date practice that was deemed current in oz.

as i understand you were 21 when you went to oz so from a work perspective oz is all you know. that means although uk may currently still be thought home it is really oz experience that is more relevant as you spent those important formative early 20's there. oz is a great place if you know no different and starting again from scratch late 20's is no piece of cake. oz though is cut off and uk experience is useful to have and even if you go back tomorrow you cannot lose really.

I have been away from oz for nearly 2 years now and also have feelings to return. my wife is aussie and she at least always intended to go back. after nearly 2 years i am again more open to the thought although as i said to my wife not for a few years yet and certainly not to work. i want the best of both worlds and oz is not there yet but i think it will be later in my life. i do think though that the uk is the place to better yourself financially if you are in certain industries such as finance and accountancy as the rewards and lifestyle in oz do not compare. if you are a nurse then oz probably rules.

as to brits being miserable then i have to disagree. uk imho again is the funniest place on earth. i have travelled widely and uk may not be the friendliest place say like some of the asian countries but for the humour of the individual uk is off the scale. i find oz very uniform with little individuality and meet one average aussie and they are mostly all the same. but day in day out i meet brits which are unique and not afraid to be individuals. every day i laugh out loud just from something people have said and nothing compares. oz is void of a lot of humour and though the people may not winge it does'nt make the place any less souless.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:01 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by dugongs
i think age has a part to play here. i was 32 when i went to oz and i always thought had i been a younger person i may have been able to stay as i would have had nothing to compare against. the fact i had worked in the uk for 10 years prior to leaving (and all mostly positive) made it difficult to accept some of the isolated thinking and out of date practice that was deemed current in oz.

as i understand you were 21 when you went to oz so from a work perspective oz is all you know. that means although uk may currently still be thought home it is really oz experience that is more relevant as you spent those important formative early 20's there. oz is a great place if you know no different and starting again from scratch late 20's is no piece of cake. oz though is cut off and uk experience is useful to have and even if you go back tomorrow you cannot lose really.

I have been away from oz for nearly 2 years now and also have feelings to return. my wife is aussie and she at least always intended to go back. after nearly 2 years i am again more open to the thought although as i said to my wife not for a few years yet and certainly not to work. i want the best of both worlds and oz is not there yet but i think it will be later in my life. i do think though that the uk is the place to better yourself financially if you are in certain industries such as finance and accountancy as the rewards and lifestyle in oz do not compare. if you are a nurse then oz probably rules.

as to brits being miserable then i have to disagree. uk imho again is the funniest place on earth. i have travelled widely and uk may not be the friendliest place say like some of the asian countries but for the humour of the individual uk is off the scale. i find oz very uniform with little individuality and meet one average aussie and they are mostly all the same. but day in day out i meet brits which are unique and not afraid to be individuals. every day i laugh out loud just from something people have said and nothing compares. oz is void of a lot of humour and though the people may not winge it does'nt make the place any less souless.
Wise words there dugongs, thanks.

M

Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:14 pm
Merlot

Looks like more want to move on away from the UK than stay at this stage.

Is there anyone out there that has come back from one country, e.g. Australia, stayed in the UK for a while, found it was not what they wanted but then tried another completely different country, e.g. Spain?

M

Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:12 pm
Deb+Chris

Originally Posted by Merlot

Looks like more want to move on away from the UK than stay at this stage.

Is there anyone out there that has come back from one country, e.g. Australia, stayed in the UK for a while, found it was not what they wanted but then tried another completely different country, e.g. Spain?

M
I'm not being funny but I don't trust poll's. I think some people on this forum (and other forums) can't stand the fact that people want to return home and therefore are voting the negative option ie: option D. Believe me, there are some very strange people out there.

Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:30 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris
I'm not being funny but I don't trust poll's. I think some people on this forum (and other forums) can't stand the fact that people want to return home and therefore are voting the negative option ie: option D. Believe me, there are some very strange people out there.
You know Deb & Chris, as I hit the send button on my last thread that crossed my mind, that is why is it great to hear stories, good, bad or indifferent. Usually the Trolls can be picked out from this.

Merlot

Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:04 pm
Deb+Chris

You can't tell that the trolls have posted though can you? this makes a poll very unreliable.

I would say that a few idiots have pressed a button just for the hell of it, I have noted a few trolls lingering in this section so know for sure they are here. They are sad people and cannot let people be themselves.. ie they hyjack threads they are not welcome to be a part of.

You just have to rely on the actual posts from people with genuine stories to tell about needing/wanting/having to be back in the UK rather than any old bugger who may wish to stick his/her nose in.

I fully accept there are those who think coming back was a big mistake, but feel that we just cannot rely on a public poll like this.

I mean, come on, the Uk is briliant innit?! LOL.

Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:33 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris
You can't tell that the trolls have posted though can you? this makes a poll very unreliable.

I would say that a few idiots have pressed a button just for the hell of it, I have noted a few trolls lingering in this section so know for sure they are here. They are sad people and cannot let people be themselves.. ie they hyjack threads they are not welcome to be a part of.

You just have to rely on the actual posts from people with genuine stories to tell about needing/wanting/having to be back in the UK rather than any old bugger who may wish to stick his/her nose in.

I fully accept there are those who think coming back was a big mistake, but feel that we just cannot rely on a public poll like this.

I mean, come on, the Uk is briliant innit?! LOL.
Hi Deb + Chris

Sorry my last post must of sounded backwards as I meant that by people sharing their stories is better than a poll. No you can't pick a troll from a poll but you can from a post.

I have to say on the fence I am sitting with the UK, I have no regrets, it has helped me see my life in a different way and I now know I have moved on from all that went before.

We are back to Oz (new area) in 2006/07.

Wishing happiness to all who are in the place they are happiest!

M

Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with an earlier poster though that said that many people who have returned to the UK and are happy, are probably not posting on this forum any longer. Once you are back home and not feeling all the emotions that you did when you were away and wishing to return, you no longer relate to this forum. Therefore the poll cannot be taken as wholly acurate.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:46 am
Badge

Originally Posted by janeyray
Most definitely the best decision we made was coming back. 100% sure that we would not live there again. Too happy and 'content' with our lives here now.

Although beautiful in parts to look at and the wildlife is brilliant I can't forget the empty feeling of lonliness I woke up with every morning

I never wake up with that feeling here
Did you make ANY friends, Janeyray, this loneliness thing you're always big on!! It worries me sometimes as it seemed to really effect you. You know, I try to remember what I felt in Perth myself, and often it didn't feel 100pc right - but this was with a kind of inbuilt prejudice; I knew home for me was the Eastern States already...so I try to look at your case with objectivity..

Badge

Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:02 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally Posted by Merlot

Wondering how everyone else feels?

Merlot
Hi Merlot
I too have experienced the same. I left Oz vouwing never to go back, I hated the 5 years I spent there, never had any happy experiences to recall. Moved back to the UK and settled in happily to life. But as time has gone on have realised I need to go back there, I too do not know why
All I know is If I had the chance when i landed back in the UK I would have tore up my visa so nothing could get me back there.

But I realise now that it wasnt just Oz that made me unhappy, it was other factors which I can not discuss but which had an overwhelming influence on me. When I go back it will be a lot different, I know what made me so unhappy and can avoid those situations and factors. Dont get me wrong there were things about Oz i did not like but when you are unhappy even trivial things can add to your unhappiness and make the whole picture gloomy.
I made friends there but never forged any true freindships not because you can't but because I wouldnt allow myself, to me at that time and my frame of mind that would be admitting it was ok there and the people were.

I also lived in Holland for 4 years and found certain things about Holland that wound me up, but on the whole it was a good experience, would I go back there? No, but with Oz it is different I will go back. This time if I do not like it it will be because I really dont and not other things clouding my view of it.

If you get out of bed in the morning fed up and depressed it has an awful knock on effect for the rest of the day, I know I have experienced that feeling, It can be very destructive. Since being back here in the UK things have gone great for me, I have a succesful business and everything I do just seems to go right for me, its not just a case of luck either or that it is the UK, I have a more positive attitude and if I get negative feelings, drown them out by repeating positive statements over and over or at least 20 times. Sounds mad to some I know but it works.

I have no regrets coming back infact I am glad I have because now I can go back there in a different frame of mind and ready for the challenge.

Eric
Old Feb 15th 2005, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

What a great attitude Eric-hope it all works out.

M.

Originally Posted by Eric the Viking
Hi Merlot
I too have experienced the same. I left Oz vouwing never to go back, I hated the 5 years I spent there, never had any happy experiences to recall. Moved back to the UK and settled in happily to life. But as time has gone on have realised I need to go back there, I too do not know why
All I know is If I had the chance when i landed back in the UK I would have tore up my visa so nothing could get me back there.

But I realise now that it wasnt just Oz that made me unhappy, it was other factors which I can not discuss but which had an overwhelming influence on me. When I go back it will be a lot different, I know what made me so unhappy and can avoid those situations and factors. Dont get me wrong there were things about Oz i did not like but when you are unhappy even trivial things can add to your unhappiness and make the whole picture gloomy.
I made friends there but never forged any true freindships not because you can't but because I wouldnt allow myself, to me at that time and my frame of mind that would be admitting it was ok there and the people were.

I also lived in Holland for 4 years and found certain things about Holland that wound me up, but on the whole it was a good experience, would I go back there? No, but with Oz it is different I will go back. This time if I do not like it it will be because I really dont and not other things clouding my view of it.

If you get out of bed in the morning fed up and depressed it has an awful knock on effect for the rest of the day, I know I have experienced that feeling, It can be very destructive. Since being back here in the UK things have gone great for me, I have a succesful business and everything I do just seems to go right for me, its not just a case of luck either or that it is the UK, I have a more positive attitude and if I get negative feelings, drown them out by repeating positive statements over and over or at least 20 times. Sounds mad to some I know but it works.

I have no regrets coming back infact I am glad I have because now I can go back there in a different frame of mind and ready for the challenge.

Eric
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:30 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Eric the Viking
Hi Merlot

Eric
Hi Eric

Can I say I echo Mel's sentiments for a fab post and this echo's me in TOO many ways it is not funny. Exactly how it was with me and when I go back things are going to be so much different as things are becoming different in my life now over in the UK, if that makes sense - I have a better handle on myself now too and so much stronger.

Thank you soooooo much for sharing, it means that me and others are not going mad!!!!! :scared:

Cheers and karma on its way
Merlot

Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:11 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Hi Merlot

I am convinced that, for me, this business of missing places is more 'nostalgia' than 'homesickness'. I miss London in the 1960s, Boston in the 1970s etc - it's probably more that stage in my personal history that I miss, rather than the actual place itself. And sadly, without a time machine, there's no going back to that....

Cheers,
Anya.
What a brilliant post - seeing it as nostalgia - no, happy nostalgia is the key to balance and happiness in life. Memories, expriences and achievements also become character builders - lessons that make life get easier and easier.

It's one of the reasons why I seemed to click with Australia - not for me the shy little Englander out of his depth in a new place away from Mum, but yet more opportunities, on my terms. Karma on way!!

Badge

Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:58 pm
Professional Princess

I think you guys are incredibly brave.

You're brave for making the decision to emigrate to Australia.
Brave for going through the whole procedure to get there.
Brave for deciding Australia may not be for you.
Brave for coming back to the UK.

Remember its your money, your choice and your life.

It's a learning curve after all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.