Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

View Poll Results: Happy with your choice of coming back to Blighty?
Yes, wild horses would not shift me, a happy chappy
25.29%
Yes, but would not discount moving overseas again!
20.69%
OK, but I am looking to move on OR about to move on
14.94%
No, the worse thing I ever did, GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!
39.08%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

Old Feb 6th 2005, 9:47 pm
Merlot

Default Re: Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

Originally Posted by sula
Whatever we decide to do I hope it finally gives us peace of mind and allows us to move on with our lives, as being unsettled wherever you live must be one of the most stressful situations you can be in.

Best wishes to you all.

Sula
That has coined it really.

I think for me coming back is the discovery of this is the last few years of my life I will share in the same town as my family, before I move on overseas for good.

Because of this I have to make the best of what I have but doesn't stop you feeling unsettled, more so as my hubby's family are all over in NSW.

M

Old Feb 6th 2005, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Benny Hill is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely love being HOME, love the robins, squirrels, foxes - god I sound like a real weirdo, but seriously the emptiness in my stomach will never happen again because I won't be going anywhere, apart from all the wonderful holidays which you get to have when you live here, South of France for a month in School Holidays this year - not Busselton or Margaret River coz thats all you could afford, many other factors completely satisfy my desperation for coming back.

LOVE IT!
Old Feb 6th 2005, 10:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
I hated the heat/humidity by the end in Australia BUT miss the brightness and sunshine. January in the UK has been the biggest culture shock to me. :scared:
Why not try Adelaide or Perth which tend to be drier in the summer, compared to Sydney/Brisbane?

Jeremy
Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why not try Adelaide or Perth which tend to be drier in the summer, compared to Sydney/Brisbane?

Jeremy
Maybe the awful employment prospects and country town mentality, which most Brits would find unacceptable for anything more than a holiday?
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Taffia will become famous soon enough

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Before I came to Canada in '60, I was in the MN for years. Every time I went home on leave,the Country seemed smaller, & gloomier,(which it was compared with Can; OZ; US; Spain etc.)
My last 18mnths. I worked for a Company that supplied crews to deliver vessels Worldwide, then we'd fly home.
My last one was to Equador.Instead of going to the UK,I came to Canada for a year. Liked it,stuck around, & 45 yrs later I'm still here.
Johnny
ps. Of course i went back for visits. Once in '87, & once in 2000. 'Twas raining when I left in '60. nice in Spring '87. Last time, cold rain, it was New Years. Far as I know it's still raining..

So a bit of advice. Take a boat ride to another Country a few times. Note the difference, & you'll not go back to the UK.
Hope I've been of help.
Johnny
Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

So 65% either want to get out again, regret moving back in some ways or will not discount moving in the future so cannot be all that happy.

Interesting!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:50 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
That has coined it really.

I think for me coming back is the discovery of this is the last few years of my life I will share in the same town as my family, before I move on overseas for good.

Because of this I have to make the best of what I have but doesn't stop you feeling unsettled, more so as my hubby's family are all over in NSW.

M
Hi M

Hope you find where home !!! soon. I was just wondering have you any children and if so how do they feel about it all.

Tale care Donna
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:15 am
Get me out of here

suziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant future

I think that once you have lived abroad nowhere is home really.

You have ties with every country, our eldest child was born in South Africa, my inlaws still live in Botswana (although they did come home for a year and went back last September because they couldnt settle). Our other two children were born in the UK

So we have bits of our hearts all over the place.

Sue

Last edited by suziequ; Feb 7th 2005 at 11:18 am.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
So 65% either want to get out again, regret moving back in some ways or will not discount moving in the future so cannot be all that happy.

Interesting!
The only thing about that is I wonder how many people who have posted on here, get back to the Uk, post afew 'wow it's great I love being back' comments and then never come on here again to comment because, well, they're back where they want to be and don't need to come on here any more? So surely more people are going to reply to the poll who are unsure/want to go abroad again than the happy settled chappies? If that makes any sense.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:41 pm
Professional Princess

Sometimes you have to leave a place to see if its really your home.

After all, shopping around so to speak is human nature.

It might take a family to move to Australia, go back to where they thought was home to see that they made the right choice after all.

Its an expensive move, but a persons right to do that.

Its nothing to be ashamed of.

I say to anyone, they haven't made a mistake moving back to the UK, you were 'testing the waters'.

And whilst some people find out the UK was there home after all, some will realise what they had in Australia.

If that is what you have to do to find yourself, then good luck to you.

It is after all, your life.

Merlot, Purely by reading your posts, I think you belong in Australia.

Just do what you think is right for you. There is no law to say you have to take one path in life, so go for it.

Good luck.

Samantha

Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:20 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by DIMO8
Hi M

Hope you find where home !!! soon. I was just wondering have you any children and if so how do they feel about it all.

Tale care Donna
Hi Donna

No little Merlot's running around which makes moving around a lot easier. I imagine that having children changes your whole outlook and priorties.

I am going though a huge emotional crisis at the moment which is not helping me settle at anything but will get there in the end.

M

Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:21 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Sometimes you have to leave a place to see if its really your home.

After all, shopping around so to speak is human nature.

It might take a family to move to Australia, go back to where they thought was home to see that they made the right choice after all.

Its an expensive move, but a persons right to do that.

Its nothing to be ashamed of.

I say to anyone, they haven't made a mistake moving back to the UK, you were 'testing the waters'.

And whilst some people find out the UK was there home after all, some will realise what they had in Australia.

If that is what you have to do to find yourself, then good luck to you.

It is after all, your life.

Merlot, Purely by reading your posts, I think you belong in Australia.

Just do what you think is right for you. There is no law to say you have to take one path in life, so go for it.

Good luck.

Samantha
Hi Sam

Thank you and all posters for all your kind words of support and for sharing.

Merlot

Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:22 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Lizzi
The only thing about that is I wonder how many people who have posted on here, get back to the Uk, post afew 'wow it's great I love being back' comments and then never come on here again to comment because, well, they're back where they want to be and don't need to come on here any more? So surely more people are going to reply to the poll who are unsure/want to go abroad again than the happy settled chappies? If that makes any sense.
Does make sense as I only posted once or twice after coming back I think, then once the dust had settled got hooked all over, more so as struggling with where I want to be. I think this is why we come back on sometimes.

M

Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:24 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Benny Hill
Absolutely love being HOME, love the robins, squirrels, foxes - god I sound like a real weirdo, but seriously the emptiness in my stomach will never happen again because I won't be going anywhere, apart from all the wonderful holidays which you get to have when you live here, South of France for a month in School Holidays this year - not Busselton or Margaret River coz thats all you could afford, many other factors completely satisfy my desperation for coming back.

LOVE IT!
Had two stunning Robin's in the garden today and that was special, they did make a sad Merlot smile

Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:25 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
I love Adelaide but not been there for years, from past experiences I could settle there though, food for thought.

Many thanks
Merlot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.