Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Old Aug 3rd 2014, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

I want to hear the negatives and the positives.
This is a really big move back for me and I am teetering on the edge as it is, so I for one, appreciate totally the good and the bad, hence the post.

The other day I told a friend in the Uk I was moving back and her answers made me want to jump off the nearest cliff lol.....she has a huge house, no money problems, family on her doorstep, no mortgage, gorgeous kids and a wonderful working husband, the perfect life blah blah blah........She went on a rant about the mess of the country, the people, the immigrants, the health care, the drugs......I was mortified and shocked about her dislike for the Uk and she lives in the Cotswolds!!!!!

If someone who has everything like that can hate their country so much then what will I feel like? A skint single mum with kids but no other family, no job or home to go to.....she didnt totally put me of though
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LostBrit99
This is a really big move back for me and I am teetering on the edge as it is, so I for one, appreciate totally the good and the bad, hence the post.

The other day I told a friend in the Uk I was moving back and her answers made me want to jump off the nearest cliff lol.....she has a huge house, no money problems, family on her doorstep, no mortgage, gorgeous kids and a wonderful working husband, the perfect life blah blah blah........She went on a rant about the mess of the country, the people, the immigrants, the health care, the drugs......I was mortified and shocked about her dislike for the Uk and she lives in the Cotswolds!!!!!

If someone who has everything like that can hate their country so much then what will I feel like? A skint single mum with kids but no other family, no job or home to go to.....she didnt totally put me of though
Has she ever lived outside of the UK?
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Has she ever lived outside of the UK?
No, she has always lived a priveliged life in the Cotswolds. Not even travelled long haul either. Shes holidayed in Europe but thats it.

She may not sound like a decent person but I have known her most of my life and always been a little envious of her actually, she has a wonderful nature, a great mum, she cant be faulted really, so I was very suprised that she went on a rant and told me they were going to leave the Uk as soon as they could sell their house and escape.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I too live in the Cotswolds..... I love the UK. I was in USA for 27 years and thought about going home for many of those years, and now I am living there --or based there--very happily.

As has been said umpteen times on these threads, many people fortunate enough to live in Britain don't appreciate it. Often it takes living in another country (not just having a holiday) to really appreciate the good sides of Britain.

Yes, it has changed and is changing--some ways for the better, others not so much--but so much of what we expats love and miss is still there to be enjoyed. The history, the landscape, the sense of humour, the temperate weather, the culture, (eg more books published and bought there than in many other places), the flora and fauna....and yes, the nearness to continental Europe!

As I am always saying, you have to think about what it is you personally miss about the UK. I know expats in the US who don't miss eg the history and landscape in the same way I do, and don't have the same pull to go back.

And are the things you yourself miss enough to sustain you when things are tough, money tight, job hunt frustrating etc? Also when the winter days are long and dark...

I love the post by --I can't remember who by or even on which thread!--perhaps this one, a person who with OH felt during the depths of the first winter that they had made a mistake to come back, but when friends visited and they took them around and saw it all through the visitors' eyes, they realised that they loved it really and had no regrets after all. This shows how returnees' emotions can fluctuate so much, as they go through the period of adjustment.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 6:00 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately those people are in the minority, they are vocal about it but yes the minority. Some Brits, the same as some Aussies, Americans etc are just negative. When we spoke to friends here and told them about our plans they were incredibly positive and supportive. I wouldnt base your decision on the ranting of one person to be fair.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SDDep
If that was your daughter, would you rather see her out on the street? Then both the young parent and her child would have even less chance of ever contributing anything. Not that I agree with a free ride, but it is the nature of the system and at least there is a safety net. You don't actually think that 14-16 year old girls get pregnant for these reasons do you..

There is something to be said for a decent welfare system, the same one that would look after any of us if we found ourselves in dire straights I would imagine.

I say this having worked and paid taxes in two countries for 24 years. Civilized societies provide for the less fortunate, however they found themselves there.
I think you have missed the point.... Yes the system is there as a safety net, but would you say that being given 40-60 Thousand per year is more than a safety net. I think you may have to re-read my post.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 6:03 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh - I dunno about that Chris. I think that someone originally from, say, a Eastern European country, would get an earful from some (but definitely not all) Brits if they complained about the UK. You might even be one of them.......

You're a bit of a conundrum to me. You make a lot of sense sometimes, and then you go and spoil it by making sweeping generalisations.

As I said before, I don't have a problem with people saying negative things about Australia, and I do my fair share of jumping up and down about issues. By the same token, there is much that I love about Australia.

I love Australia Day, and one of the reasons for that is that I always fly the Australian and Aboriginal flags on my car - for the first Australians and for those who came afterwards. Whilst I mostly get friendly toots and thumbs up from other motorists, I do occasionally get the one-fingered salute - which really makes my day

I will never, ever go down the 'my country is better than your country' path, it's utter bollocks.
I dont mind being a conundrum, that suits me fine
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

No, she has always lived a priveliged life in the Cotswolds. Not even travelled long haul either. Shes holidayed in Europe but thats it.

She may not sound like a decent person but I have known her most of my life and always been a little envious of her actually, she has a wonderful nature, a great mum, she cant be faulted really, so I was very suprised that she went on a rant and told me they were going to leave the Uk as soon as they could sell their house and escape.
See what I'm getting at now. Some folks have it good whether it be from hard work, or old money. Those that have worked hard all their live's have a right to say what they like but don't make the UK out to be a bed of roses for most of the population. Some have to live in the real world....
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 6:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Haha...just as I thought.

She really hasn't got any idea at all has she?
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 6:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Haha...just as I thought.

She really hasn't got any idea at all has she?
The few people I have had question our move have also never lived anywhere else and seem to base their opinion on 2 weeks in Spain but will still say 'it must be better in Australia?'. When I ask why it is almost invariably the fact that the weather is better
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sheliaa
Hi....no but I`m in the same boat as you.Nearly 15 years in Australia,and torn really.Also don`t have any family in U.K,Will be interested to know,what others think.I suppose it boils down to how much you want to be home.After all,home is where the heart is... I do know from some friends there that it is a more difficult place to live since I left.
It's not where your heart is, it's where your memories are. Someone once told me that you can never go home, and for some of us that is the case.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 10:17 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
I think you have missed the point.... Yes the system is there as a safety net, but would you say that being given 40-60 Thousand per year is more than a safety net. I think you may have to re-read my post.
40-60K per year eh?
Old Aug 4th 2014, 5:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
40-60K per year eh?
yeah, minimum.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
40-60K per year eh?

Must check to see if Scouse's vasectomy can be reversed
Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I dont mind being a conundrum, that suits me fine

Took me ages to find the right spelling for that word

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.