Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Old Aug 2nd 2014, 10:59 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
I must be in the minority but I dont find the English to be miserable. Sure they like a good moan at times but then tell me a nationality that doesn't. If everyone was so miserable in the UK then why are they so much more friendly than I have experienced in other countries? Having a moan doesn't mean they are miserable.
No definitely not miserable or certainly no moreso than other nationalities. There is a tendency to assume somwhere else in the world is better but that doesnt make them miserable at all. We dont come across anymore miserable people here than we did in Australia.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 11:05 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
You hit the nail on the head! Its so true! This was definitely my experience when I lived in the US, no one talks feely about the crap its all glossed over and made to seem better than it is. Its almost like americans are trained for the most part not to dis their country, whereas in the Uk we will dis our country but no one else is allowed to LOL.
Exactly like Australia, they are so incredibly sensitive and precious about any real or perceived criticism. Of course they are free to criticise quite literally anything and everything about another country especially England. Here in England you can criticise something legitimate and not feel as though someone will get offended and tell you to bugger off back to where you came from
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 3:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Exactly like Australia, they are so incredibly sensitive and precious about any real or perceived criticism. Of course they are free to criticise quite literally anything and everything about another country especially England. Here in England you can criticise something legitimate and not feel as though someone will get offended and tell you to bugger off back to where you came from
Oh - I dunno about that Chris. I think that someone originally from, say, a Eastern European country, would get an earful from some (but definitely not all) Brits if they complained about the UK. You might even be one of them.......

You're a bit of a conundrum to me. You make a lot of sense sometimes, and then you go and spoil it by making sweeping generalisations.

As I said before, I don't have a problem with people saying negative things about Australia, and I do my fair share of jumping up and down about issues. By the same token, there is much that I love about Australia.

I love Australia Day, and one of the reasons for that is that I always fly the Australian and Aboriginal flags on my car - for the first Australians and for those who came afterwards. Whilst I mostly get friendly toots and thumbs up from other motorists, I do occasionally get the one-fingered salute - which really makes my day

I will never, ever go down the 'my country is better than your country' path, it's utter bollocks.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I could fill a whole page with examples by my mum

I think that's true; I don't criticise the US to Americans unless they start it.
Oh really !
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chris955
Thanks very much, yes 2 years already, its amazing.
Its very weird being called annoyingly positive but it speaks volumes about those people lol
As you say if you wax lyrical about Australia or the US then that is perfectly acceptable. I'm certainly not going to start making up problems here to make others feel better about their decisions. As you say we have set ourselves up in a lovely place and have a great life, I wont be dragged down by a few overly negative people.
Great post
I know the innuendoes about negativity is pointing at me Chris955. I get really sick and tired of your pompous attitude. You may well be set in your idyllic little bubble where all is find and dandy. Anytime you post is all rosey, and that's fine for you, but people considering moving back to the UK need to know the pitfalls that they may be walking into.. I am now 67 years old and yes I can be cynical, and I can be cynical because I can see both sides of the coin. I have dealt with many middle management in America that have your attitude. Just let people make up their own minds and let them form their own opinion as what to expect returning to the UK. Just to remind you that I had lived in the UK until the age of 36 then the next 30 years in the US, and so I have lived both worlds and i know what I'm talking about.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

I am grateful that people are willing to post their experiences, whether positive or negative. If people are discouraged from posting negative opinions then we are not getting the whole range of views from people who are further ahead in their relocations. Being honest is not being negative.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
Oh really !
Yes really.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:11 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I could fill a whole page with examples by my mum

I think that's true; I don't criticise the US to Americans unless they start it.
I think you know that my mum could take yours on that front . I have my fortnightly call tomorrow, doubtless it will be a ray of sunshine as usual.

It's a shame really, I find so many Brits are so negative when, in reality, they are living in a land of milk and honey.

I might be moving back to the UK next year, I like the place and look forward to many parts of living back within my own culture, I don't look forward to the mediocre weather (compared to northern California) and negative attitudes though.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I think you know that my mum could take yours on that front . I have my fortnightly call tomorrow, doubtless it will be a ray of sunshine as usual.

It's a shame really, I find so many Brits are so negative when, in reality, they are living in a land of milk and honey.

I might be moving back to the UK next year, I like the place and look forward to many parts of living back within my own culture, I don't look forward to the mediocre weather (compared to northern California) and negative attitudes though.
Oh that would be a fun contest!

Some seem to have got rather dependent, 'they' are never doing enough for them (council, government, doctor, BBC or candlestick maker).

How interesting that you are thinking of moving back! Look forward to hearing about it.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:29 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that would be a fun contest!

Some seem to have got rather dependent, 'they' are never doing enough for them (council, government, doctor, BBC or candlestick maker).

How interesting that you are thinking of moving back! Look forward to hearing about it.
I wonder if that's something you notice more after living in a place where the culture is more focused on self-reliance? (I agree by the way).
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wonder if that's something you notice more after living in a place where the culture is more focused on self-reliance? (I agree by the way).
Oh, absolutely.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Hi Cape Blue,
Of course this a land of milk and honey !! The only people that have the milk and honey as you put it are those people that PLAY the benefit's system. This has become a blight on this country. People that are working are paying taxes on their earnings and being given to those people that have no intention of finding work at all. Here is something that is very prevalent here. A young girl let's say between 14-16 year's old and wants to get out of their parent's house is to become pregnant, to which she will be entitled to the full benefit system. She will get free housing provided, she will get free rent, she will get her council tax paid, she will get unemployment paid, she will get child benefit, in fact every benefit paid.... She will get more money than a hard working couple. The Father of the child is more than likely out of the picture as he is either still at school or on benefit's himself.

Yes it is a land of milk and honey, but not for the working tax payer's.
So how about that for a negative attitude.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 12:25 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cape Blue,
Of course this a land of milk and honey !! The only people that have the milk and honey as you put it are those people that PLAY the benefit's system. This has become a blight on this country. People that are working are paying taxes on their earnings and being given to those people that have no intention of finding work at all. Here is something that is very prevalent here. A young girl let's say between 14-16 year's old and wants to get out of their parent's house is to become pregnant, to which she will be entitled to the full benefit system. She will get free housing provided, she will get free rent, she will get her council tax paid, she will get unemployment paid, she will get child benefit, in fact every benefit paid.... She will get more money than a hard working couple. The Father of the child is more than likely out of the picture as he is either still at school or on benefit's himself.

If that was your daughter, would you rather see her out on the street? Then both the young parent and her child would have even less chance of ever contributing anything. Not that I agree with a free ride, but it is the nature of the system and at least there is a safety net. You don't actually think that 14-16 year old girls get pregnant for these reasons do you..

There is something to be said for a decent welfare system, the same one that would look after any of us if we found ourselves in dire straights I would imagine.

I say this having worked and paid taxes in two countries for 24 years. Civilized societies provide for the less fortunate, however they found themselves there.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:13 pm
Democracy advocate

Hi Cape Blue,

You need to get over it mate, she left, it's difficult/depressing/lonely, it happens to many of us. Don't let it drag you down into a morass of negativity and Daily Mail bile.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cape Blue,

That's not new. When my daughter was born 29 years ago...the girl in the next bed was 16. She had been in the maternity ward for several months because she had nowhere to go. Boy did this girl know how to work the system. Once a week social services took her to see several council homes...but she turned them all down. She wouldn't accept vouchers etc for furniture...she wanted money. Until they agreed to give her money she had no intention of leaving hospital. During the 5 days I was in hospital...I never once saw her hold or feed her baby...she spent all her time in the smoking room leaving the nurses to look after her son.

I often wonder how that poor little boy turned out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.