Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Old Jul 29th 2014, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by chris955
I was thinking the same thing, what UK are they talking about, not the one we are living in
Sorry, which county are you in? I am abit behind the times lol
Old Jul 29th 2014, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking the same thing, what UK are they talking about, not the one we are living in
It is all down to opinion and personal experiences and if someone has different experiences then that is their reality.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:13 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

More than 2 years back in the UK after spending the last 12 years in Brisbane and I can say hand on heart absolutely no regrets whatsoever. We are fortunate that we live in the most sparcely populated county in England, we have plenty of space, great neighbours in a beautiful village. There is absolutely no reason at all why you have to live on top of others in this country, you just have to to live away from the cities which is the same anywhere.
We have had brilliant medical care when we have needed it, including a broken arm my son suffered, no complaints at all, just the opposite in fact. Only yesterday afternoon I had a minor surgery on my leg at a local clinic, the service and care was brilliant. I noticed a post earlier comparing a hospital visit to the third world, then I looked at who made the post
I miss family and friends but quite honestly dont miss too much about Australia, this country gives us everything we want and more.
Some call me overly positive, weird I know, but I say it as I see it. Is it perfect here? No way but nowhere is.
WOW I cant believe its been 2 years already, congratulations!

Originally Posted by London1947
Ok Chris, I got your little comment. I was wondering when you was going to appear. You obviously are in a better situation than most on this site, and yes, you are annoyingly overly positive......
That's a little rude, I think. A person is positive about the UK and he is put down. A person speaks the same about OZ or USA and everyone is happy for him. If you have a good life here in the UK, why shouldn't you be able to be positive and shout out about it!?

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
It is all down to opinion and personal experiences and if someone has different experiences then that is their reality.
Exactly! Chris' personal experiences are obviously very good ones. He seems to have set himself and his family up in a lovely area away from a city and loves it there.
I am very happy where I am and *GASP HORROR* actually have no negatives at all. Does that make me annoying too?

I think if you do your research well and move out of a city, into a village or small town, you will find friendly, welcoming people like we have. I know it does depend on finances, job location, etc too as my husband travels an hour and a half each way by train to London every day and finds it tough, but it's worth it for a nice place to live.

You shouldn't judge and criticize people for being happy!
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Well I am fustrated at all the rules so far regarding renting a house and I havent even got there yet.....no dogs, no cats, no dss, no smokers, no children, only employed, only kids over 18........I have teens and two very small dogs and I am not employed until I get there and look around but I would have money to rent, even so, I am worried about how hard it would be for me to find a house. I am having enough trouble finding a plane that will carry two dogs in the cabin to the Uk. Otherwise they have to go as cargo or in the hold. I didnt have this trouble when we came out here, they were quietly under the seat in the plane, now it seems there are rules rules rules for everything for Ireland and the Uk.........sorry having a bad day trying to find a flight and a house.....dont have any family to stay with when we get there, fustrated already
Old Jul 29th 2014, 7:03 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LostBrit99
Well I am fustrated at all the rules so far regarding renting a house and I havent even got there yet.....no dogs, no cats, no dss, no smokers, no children, only employed, only kids over 18........I have teens and two very small dogs and I am not employed until I get there and look around but I would have money to rent, even so, I am worried about how hard it would be for me to find a house. I am having enough trouble finding a plane that will carry two dogs in the cabin to the Uk. Otherwise they have to go as cargo or in the hold. I didnt have this trouble when we came out here, they were quietly under the seat in the plane, now it seems there are rules rules rules for everything for Ireland and the Uk.........sorry having a bad day trying to find a flight and a house.....dont have any family to stay with when we get there, fustrated already
LostBrit, Keep searching for a rental - we have 2 kids and a large dog and had no trouble. Admittedly a few people did say no kids, no dogs etc but there are plenty that do.
We went on Rightmove, checked houses we liked, called the agency and told them the truth - that we have a well behaved 6 year old lab who didn't scratch, bite, was house trained, etc - the kids on the other hand!

Dogs coming into the UK have to be vaccinated against rabies etc so it is more difficult to bring them here. But hopefully it will all work out for you.

Landlords have to protect themselves so normally ask for 6 months advance if you are un-employed, otherwise they ask for deposit, plus 1 months advance.

As for a job, good luck! something will come up just keep trying.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Stick with it, many people will have bad days and roadblocks when planning the move back. Go with the flow and remember your objective is to move back, keep jumping through the hoops to reach your desired goal. Best of luck to you.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorry1
LostBrit, Keep searching for a rental - we have 2 kids and a large dog and had no trouble. Admittedly a few people did say no kids, no dogs etc but there are plenty that do.
We went on Rightmove, checked houses we liked, called the agency and told them the truth - that we have a well behaved 6 year old lab who didn't scratch, bite, was house trained, etc - the kids on the other hand!

Dogs coming into the UK have to be vaccinated against rabies etc so it is more difficult to bring them here. But hopefully it will all work out for you.

Landlords have to protect themselves so normally ask for 6 months advance if you are un-employed, otherwise they ask for deposit, plus 1 months advance.

As for a job, good luck! something will come up just keep trying.

Hi, Thanks for the encouragement.
Did you manage to find a rental while you were overseas? Or did you stay with people first?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:28 am
The Brit is back

Hi, Thanks for the encouragement.
Did you manage to find a rental while you were overseas? Or did you stay with people first?
We did email estate agents while in Canada to ask questions but no-one answered us! Seems they do not want to know until you are actively looking as houses go so quickly.
We stayed with friends for about a month which was longer than planned and really tough. 2 families (4 adults and 4 kids) in a small 4 bed house was pretty tight, and challenging...especially with a teen who did not want to be back!
Also, they did not like dogs so we had to put him with other friends and we had already been with another set of friends previous as he came over earlier than us.
So, so, SO glad when we moved into our own space!

Last edited by Lorry1; Jul 30th 2014 at 7:30 am.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 8:45 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
WOW I cant believe its been 2 years already, congratulations!

That's a little rude, I think. A person is positive about the UK and he is put down. A person speaks the same about OZ or USA and everyone is happy for him. If you have a good life here in the UK, why shouldn't you be able to be positive and shout out about it!?

Exactly! Chris' personal experiences are obviously very good ones. He seems to have set himself and his family up in a lovely area away from a city and loves it there.
I am very happy where I am and *GASP HORROR* actually have no negatives at all. Does that make me annoying too?

I think if you do your research well and move out of a city, into a village or small town, you will find friendly, welcoming people like we have. I know it does depend on finances, job location, etc too as my husband travels an hour and a half each way by train to London every day and finds it tough, but it's worth it for a nice place to live.

You shouldn't judge and criticize people for being happy!
Thanks very much, yes 2 years already, its amazing.
Its very weird being called annoyingly positive but it speaks volumes about those people lol
As you say if you wax lyrical about Australia or the US then that is perfectly acceptable. I'm certainly not going to start making up problems here to make others feel better about their decisions. As you say we have set ourselves up in a lovely place and have a great life, I wont be dragged down by a few overly negative people.
Great post
Old Jul 30th 2014, 8:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, which county are you in? I am abit behind the times lol
I am in Herefordshire, the county that time forgot.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that people who are not happy since they have moved back want everyone to feel the same. Some of us are very happy not just Chris955 and dont regret the move even though our circumstances might not be perfect. I moved back from the US about 2 1/2 months ago. Left my own house, nice car, very high paying job. Now staying with my parents, still looking for a job and back to driving a small economical car with no added extra's. Its definitely not the ideal situation for me and I am desperate to move into my own place however that being said I am happier than I have been in a long time. I love the beauty of England, how friendly the people are, how many things there are to do without driving for miles etc. I've connected with old friends and its like I have never been away. I never hated the US actually was pretty happy there but it doesn't care to the happiness I feel in the UK. Job search has now started and I remain optimistic that everything will fall in to place.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 8:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
It seems that people who are not happy since they have moved back want everyone to feel the same. Some of us are very happy not just Chris955 and dont regret the move even though our circumstances might not be perfect. I moved back from the US about 2 1/2 months ago. Left my own house, nice car, very high paying job. Now staying with my parents, still looking for a job and back to driving a small economical car with no added extra's. Its definitely not the ideal situation for me and I am desperate to move into my own place however that being said I am happier than I have been in a long time. I love the beauty of England, how friendly the people are, how many things there are to do without driving for miles etc. I've connected with old friends and its like I have never been away. I never hated the US actually was pretty happy there but it doesn't care to the happiness I feel in the UK. Job search has now started and I remain optimistic that everything will fall in to place.
That is exactly it, they want to try and pile their misery and negativity onto others, its rather sad. I feel very sorry for those people who try the move and it doesnt work out but accept that for many others it works out even better than we could have imagined.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 10:06 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Why do threads that are just asking for people's personal experiences have to turn into snidey bunfights?

("He/she started it" is a pathetic excuse, BTW).

In response to the OP, I think regrets are unavoidable for a lot of people, even if overall moving back to the UK works out. Whether or not the regrets are problematic depends a lot on your mindset and how you respond.

For me, it was difficult to ignore the considerable financial implications of moving back. UK house prices almost tripled in the time I'd been away while US house prices hardly moved (where I was, the Southeast). Taking on a large mortgage in middle age was a consequence of moving back.

Professionally, the difference between the US and UK is night and day. Regular trips back remind me of this.

For others, the move back coincides with the opposite - cashing in on favorable exchange rates or soaring house prices wherever they were, coming back to a better professional situation. Being closer to family, happier kids.

The facts of the situation are often disconnected to anything to do with the UK per se, or to wherever you moved back from per se. People who are wonderfully happy back in the UK or who have been pretty miserable since moving back home don't need to get into silly arguments about who is right - they both are "right".

Personally I have many regrets about moving back but have worked very hard at overcoming the practicalities of the situation in the UK. I am pretty content as a result of focussing on the positives and not letting the negatives get me down.

Last edited by dunroving; Jul 30th 2014 at 10:08 am. Reason: faulty keyboard
Old Jul 30th 2014, 2:46 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Why do threads that are just asking for people's personal experiences have to turn into snidey bunfights?

("He/she started it" is a pathetic excuse, BTW).

In response to the OP, I think regrets are unavoidable for a lot of people, even if overall moving back to the UK works out. Whether or not the regrets are problematic depends a lot on your mindset and how you respond.

For me, it was difficult to ignore the considerable financial implications of moving back. UK house prices almost tripled in the time I'd been away while US house prices hardly moved (where I was, the Southeast). Taking on a large mortgage in middle age was a consequence of moving back.

Professionally, the difference between the US and UK is night and day. Regular trips back remind me of this.

For others, the move back coincides with the opposite - cashing in on favorable exchange rates or soaring house prices wherever they were, coming back to a better professional situation. Being closer to family, happier kids.

The facts of the situation are often disconnected to anything to do with the UK per se, or to wherever you moved back from per se. People who are wonderfully happy back in the UK or who have been pretty miserable since moving back home don't need to get into silly arguments about who is right - they both are "right".

Personally I have many regrets about moving back but have worked very hard at overcoming the practicalities of the situation in the UK. I am pretty content as a result of focussing on the positives and not letting the negatives get me down.
Dunroving, that's the nicest thing I've read in a long time
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

People who are wonderfully happy back in the UK or who have been pretty miserable since moving back home don't need to get into silly arguments about who is right - they both are "right".
Dunroving is right. I have had a few miserable moments but I am hoping for happier days ahead as we adapt to life back in the UK. If we're having a bunfight, I will be in the middle getting bunned from both sides. Buns away!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.