Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:13 pm
  #46  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,009
colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Nobody forces you to watch TV and to define British culture by the idiot box is an act of breathtaking ....I don't know what.

But isn't that the problem though - that for a great many people (not just in Britain) television is the height of their cultural experience? And with these trashy "reality" shows that are everywhere these days it is just sinking lower and lower, especially as the so-called "stars" of these shows are becoming celebrities.
colchar is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:14 pm
  #47  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,009
colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by solanocasa
My wife is from Glasgow - which seems to be enjoying a relative boom these days - at least until the Tories find a way to tear the heart out of it.


Yeah, because Labour did so much for Glasgow eh?
colchar is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:24 pm
  #48  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Niagara Falls, ON
Posts: 30
JRuss87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by colchar
What about Niagara On The Lake?
I was waiting for someone to mention Niagara-On-The-Lake . It really is the gem of this area, but its not a realistic place to live as it has a tourism based economy and the housing prices are extremely high (one the other hand its extremely safe, and very family oriented). Its nice to go visit on a Sunday for a walk down Queen Street during the summer. Also Fort George in the Fall for its ghost walks are a must-do.

The problem I find with Niagara is that there are more negatives around here than positives. I honestly believe that is what is deterring investment in the area, which is causing the local economy to stagnate.

Last edited by JRuss87; Jul 23rd 2014 at 6:28 pm.
JRuss87 is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:59 am
  #49  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Jane Austin is more often called "Jane Austen" and I imagine you are trying to refer to the "Bullingdon" Club.

I too have spent thirty years all over the world, The UK has its problems but what you describe is a travesty of the truth.
Drink - yes, but that has been the case in Britain for centuries. Hogarths Gin Lane was no invention
The NHS is not all it could be it is true, but free access to those in need is a concept that quite simply makes me proud to be British. And always will. Of course it is unaffordable, of course we cannot treat the whole world, but to me it is simply unacceptable to imagine that someone might go to hospital and not be treated because they cannot afford it.
Education has it is true been appalling over the last quarter century or so, But the establishment IS now being rolled back. Anyway you have established unequivocally that it was not as great in the 60s as you fondly remember.
The Press in the UK has always been robust. The Mail and the Guardian are however just two ends of a spectrum. Most sit comfortably in between. Many countries would envy that range of views.
Nobody forces you to watch TV and to define British culture by the idiot box is an act of breathtaking ....I don't know what. Some of the stuff I have seen at the National and the Royal Ballet has been breathtaking and thought provoking.
Perhaps you should just get out more.
Agreed and what's wrong with British universities? They perform pretty well.
Sally Redux is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:21 pm
  #50  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 67
LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Everywhere has its ups and downs, its just sorting out which downs you can deal with....my concern most as a mum thinking about returning to the Uk is the crime? agression of teenagers? bullying? safety for my kids?
These are my major concerns and I think thats what is holding me back from returning to the country I love.
Perhaps I am worrying too much but I wont know until I get there and then it could be too late....
LostBrit99 is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2014, 6:37 pm
  #51  
BE Enthusiast
 
Spacecake799's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Was Torbay, NZ now North Yorkshire UK
Posts: 813
Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by LostBrit99
Everywhere has its ups and downs, its just sorting out which downs you can deal with....my concern most as a mum thinking about returning to the Uk is the crime? agression of teenagers? bullying? safety for my kids?
These are my major concerns and I think thats what is holding me back from returning to the country I love.
Perhaps I am worrying too much but I wont know until I get there and then it could be too late....
I think you need to realize that all of those things can happen in any country depending on where you are and if you look for it.
We lived in the Midlands our whole lives before moving to New Zealand, we returned to North Yorkshire a place picked off a map having never been. We are in a small town with a high school of around 700 pupils.
We returned for the education and we picked somewhere perfect for us. Well mannered teens, not seen bullying, happy to walk around at night.
I hope that puts your mind at rest a bit.
Spacecake799 is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2014, 7:20 pm
  #52  
The Brit is back
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: NS, Canada 2007-2013. Now....England!
Posts: 2,211
Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Nope....not one!


Originally Posted by LostBrit99
Everywhere has its ups and downs, its just sorting out which downs you can deal with....my concern most as a mum thinking about returning to the Uk is the crime? agression of teenagers? bullying? safety for my kids?
These are my major concerns and I think thats what is holding me back from returning to the country I love.
Perhaps I am worrying too much but I wont know until I get there and then it could be too late....
LostBrit, Of course there are probably really bad housing estates where these things are a concern, but you shouldn't tar the whole of the UK with the same brush. I know papers like the 'Daily Fail' would have you believe that the UK is going to the dogs, but really, it is not.

I live in a small Berkshire town and really have no concerns at all. We had always lived within a 10 mile radius of where we are now too, before leaving for Canada, and never had any problems.

Crime is relatively low and similar to where we lived in Canada, and bullying is, in all its many forms, a thing that could happen in each and every school anywhere.

The teenagers here are relatively well behaved and keep to themselves. I walk my dog alone at all times of the day and there have been a few occasions where I have felt a bit uneasy as I have approached a group coming towards me, but then get a shock when they smile and say hello or they talk to my dog.
There was a group of older kids hanging around some shops one day who looked a bit un-desirable and I was a bit worried. Funny when one of the blokes turned and said "aww puppy". I just didn't expect that lol.

Unfortunately, teens are always given such bad press and are only put in the papers for the bad things that some of them do. They are not all evil and some of them are actually pretty nice

It really does depend on where you choose to live and as long as you do your research beforehand, you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck

Last edited by Lorry1; Jul 24th 2014 at 7:24 pm.
Lorry1 is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:27 am
  #53  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 67
LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
I think you need to realize that all of those things can happen in any country depending on where you are and if you look for it.
We lived in the Midlands our whole lives before moving to New Zealand, we returned to North Yorkshire a place picked off a map having never been. We are in a small town with a high school of around 700 pupils.
We returned for the education and we picked somewhere perfect for us. Well mannered teens, not seen bullying, happy to walk around at night.
I hope that puts your mind at rest a bit.
Spacecake799, I love your name to begin with
Which town are you in now? It sounds appealing. I dont think you said.
I am also from the Torbay area
LostBrit99 is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:32 am
  #54  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 67
LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Nope....not one!




LostBrit, Of course there are probably really bad housing estates where these things are a concern, but you shouldn't tar the whole of the UK with the same brush. I know papers like the 'Daily Fail' would have you believe that the UK is going to the dogs, but really, it is not.

I live in a small Berkshire town and really have no concerns at all. We had always lived within a 10 mile radius of where we are now too, before leaving for Canada, and never had any problems.

Crime is relatively low and similar to where we lived in Canada, and bullying is, in all its many forms, a thing that could happen in each and every school anywhere.

The teenagers here are relatively well behaved and keep to themselves. I walk my dog alone at all times of the day and there have been a few occasions where I have felt a bit uneasy as I have approached a group coming towards me, but then get a shock when they smile and say hello or they talk to my dog.
There was a group of older kids hanging around some shops one day who looked a bit un-desirable and I was a bit worried. Funny when one of the blokes turned and said "aww puppy". I just didn't expect that lol.

Unfortunately, teens are always given such bad press and are only put in the papers for the bad things that some of them do. They are not all evil and some of them are actually pretty nice

It really does depend on where you choose to live and as long as you do your research beforehand, you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck
Lorry1, thanks for the advice, I think I have thrown myself into a hell over the safety issue because of the papers that I have read.
Such a big jump but one that I know deep down I need to do for the kids future and I have to say I am scared. Older and scared. Age has got the better of me and I am not the brave young thing I used to be lol
LostBrit99 is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:36 am
  #55  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

My kids are still in touch with their old friends in Solihull and last time we visited they all met up and had a great time. They all seem pretty normal and not aggressive. A lot of towns can get a bit wild at night nowadays with the clubbers/drinkers. I don't think it's actually dangerous as such but not as nice an atmosphere as there used to be.

What kind of crime are you worried about?
Sally Redux is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:43 am
  #56  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 67
LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My kids are still in touch with their old friends in Solihull and last time we visited they all met up and had a great time. They all seem pretty normal and not aggressive. A lot of towns can get a bit wild at night nowadays with the clubbers/drinkers. I don't think it's actually dangerous as such but not as nice an atmosphere as there used to be.

What kind of crime are you worried about?
Sally Redux, I am worried about bullying and stabbings and those horror stories you see in the papers about kids minding their own business and them being picked on or beaten. Worried about abductors because I have a stunning looking daughter. I dont worry about me but I worry alot for the children. I know I am probably over the top but even in sleepy Devon my friends have complained and they are in exclusive areas of Devon, so it concerns me especially as my son is very quiet and keeps himself to himself.
LostBrit99 is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2014, 2:56 am
  #57  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by LostBrit99
Sally Redux, I am worried about bullying and stabbings and those horror stories you see in the papers about kids minding their own business and them being picked on or beaten. Worried about abductors because I have a stunning looking daughter. I dont worry about me but I worry alot for the children. I know I am probably over the top but even in sleepy Devon my friends have complained and they are in exclusive areas of Devon, so it concerns me especially as my son is very quiet and keeps himself to himself.
I think what you have to remember is that the British press tends to be very sensational. Therefore it can be difficult to work out what the true picture is. Obviously I am not living there myself yet either, but nothing I have heard from kids' friends and family members would lead me to be worried about these issues, especially in a quiet part of Devon. As I mentioned, drink can be an issue but even so, I am not personally aware of people I know there having these problems.

We all worry about our kids, wherever we are. How do they feel about the move?
Sally Redux is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:24 am
  #58  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 29,844
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by LostBrit99
Sally Redux, I am worried about bullying and stabbings and those horror stories you see in the papers about kids minding their own business and them being picked on or beaten. Worried about abductors because I have a stunning looking daughter. I dont worry about me but I worry alot for the children. I know I am probably over the top but even in sleepy Devon my friends have complained and they are in exclusive areas of Devon, so it concerns me especially as my son is very quiet and keeps himself to himself.
I'm sure this has come up before but you can search reported crimes in an area

Solihill - UKCrimeStats.com - Postcode District B92

Central Devon - UKCrimeStats.com - Central Devon

Thames Valley Police - UKCrimeStats.com - Thames Valley Police

There's a variety of ways of searching to cover small areas to larger areas, and lots of information to show not only stats but trends
old.sparkles is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2014, 4:02 am
  #59  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'm sure this has come up before but you can search reported crimes in an area

Solihill - UKCrimeStats.com - Postcode District B92

Central Devon - UKCrimeStats.com - Central Devon

Thames Valley Police - UKCrimeStats.com - Thames Valley Police

There's a variety of ways of searching to cover small areas to larger areas, and lots of information to show not only stats but trends
Oh yes that's useful.
Sally Redux is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2014, 7:11 am
  #60  
The Brit is back
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: NS, Canada 2007-2013. Now....England!
Posts: 2,211
Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by LostBrit99
Sally Redux, I am worried about bullying and stabbings and those horror stories you see in the papers about kids minding their own business and them being picked on or beaten. Worried about abductors because I have a stunning looking daughter. I dont worry about me but I worry alot for the children. I know I am probably over the top but even in sleepy Devon my friends have complained and they are in exclusive areas of Devon, so it concerns me especially as my son is very quiet and keeps himself to himself.
Hi LostBrit, You have to remember that the British papers love sensationalism! Thats why I never read them and never have!

Unfortunately other people do and then believe that stabbings and beatings go on everywhere, all the time. It's just not true!

The kids round here all play out. We have meadows behind our road with a brook running through it and all the kids go over there. I have 2 daughters so believe me, I know how difficult it is!

Kids being abducted is relatively rare and the numbers have gone down the last few years. It is no different from the 1970's its just reported now whereas it wouldn't be then, apart from big cases like Hindley & Brady for example!

Really, you shouldn't worry so much it is not good to live in fear you just have to get out and enjoy life!
Lorry1 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.