Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

solanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

I avoided replying to this post for a while, for fear of appearing too much like an angry old man.... but, what the heck, here goes........
Returned to the UK last year after 35+ years away; lived and worked in several countries (professional expat; last 10+ years in the USA - Virginia (I hated the USA and am ashamed to have stayed so long).
Returned to the UK solely for family reasons - absolutely NO nostalgia and ABSOLUTELY NO - repeat NO - nationalist "sentiment" (I was educated in the 60's - when "nationalism" was, quite rightly, a joke.)
Overall, extremely pleased and relieved with the practicalities of return. e.g. smooth integration into the NHS system (have been lucky, no new medical issues, and ongoing issues have been dealt with in an exemplary manner). I understand the NHS is pretty much a post code lottery - we are in a solid middle class area in the north of Nottingham city - and, believe me, "class" matters more in contemporary Britain than it did in the 70's when we left. ). Like everyone else, I love rediscovering the British countryside, pubs, conversation (with intelligent people).......lots of positives.
With respect to leaving the USA, for me personally, I have to say I have not given the place a single second's thought since the plane took off from JFK. Not a single thought.
Negatives/regrets about returning to the UK....just a few.
1) Brits are drunks. No matter what age, what class, what sex, what location. Television "personalities", journalists, sportsmen, every idiot on "Twitter" - they all boast of "getting wasted" and the intensity of their latest hangover. As the Spanish know all too painfully well, a "traditional English breakfast" is many pints of lager. Avoid any British city centre after 11 at night (when the "youth" are vomiting and pis*ing in the street) - and even after 7 pm, when the middle-aged drunks are getting tanked up, and blundering around, loudly, usually in fancy dress costume. Never ever stay in a British hotel on a Friday or Saturday night - they pollute many European cities too on their obscene Stag/Hen nights.
2) British culture is truly an intellectual and cultural wasteland. Everything - everything - is pitched at the level of the lowest common denominator. TV is abysmal - BBC included - endless, endless repeats of brainless pap. The dumbest programs (e.g.Top Gear, Big Brother, Strictly Come Dancing, Britain has Talent) are wildly popular - makes professional wresting look tasteful.
3) British educational has fallen off the scale - nearly as bad as the USA. "University" education is a sick and costly joke. There are British University Arts graduates who have never heard of Jane Austin. There are "science" graduates who can't do basic Maths. Being intelligent in modern Britain is mostly considered an anachronistic joke (as opposed to many places in the USA, where being intelligent is considered a mortal sin).
4) British politics is utterly dreadful - all the political parties are completely clueless. Most are professional politicians who have never done a proper job of work in their lives. The idea that, in the 21st century, Britain would be "governed" by Bullendon Club lowlifes, is truly shameful.
5) The British press is a national disgrace. The likes of "The Daily Mail" and "The Sun" are shockingly horrible. For a true picture of modern Britain, try Googling "ownership of the British Press" - Jesus wept.
However, on a positive note, if you enjoy Facebook or Twitter, or texting while driving, or Tattoos, or Earrings, but especially, getting "rat assed", then Britain is for you.
I hope I haven't put you off.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

JRuss87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by solanocasa
I avoided replying to this post for a while, for fear of appearing too much like an angry old man.... but, what the heck, here goes........
Returned to the UK last year after 35+ years away; lived and worked in several countries (professional expat; last 10+ years in the USA - Virginia (I hated the USA and am ashamed to have stayed so long).
Returned to the UK solely for family reasons - absolutely NO nostalgia and ABSOLUTELY NO - repeat NO - nationalist "sentiment" (I was educated in the 60's - when "nationalism" was, quite rightly, a joke.)
Overall, extremely pleased and relieved with the practicalities of return. e.g. smooth integration into the NHS system (have been lucky, no new medical issues, and ongoing issues have been dealt with in an exemplary manner). I understand the NHS is pretty much a post code lottery - we are in a solid middle class area in the north of Nottingham city - and, believe me, "class" matters more in contemporary Britain than it did in the 70's when we left. ). Like everyone else, I love rediscovering the British countryside, pubs, conversation (with intelligent people).......lots of positives.
With respect to leaving the USA, for me personally, I have to say I have not given the place a single second's thought since the plane took off from JFK. Not a single thought.
1) Brits are drunks. No matter what age, what class, what sex, what location. Television "personalities", journalists, sportsmen, every idiot on "Twitter" - they all boast of "getting wasted" and the intensity of their latest hangover. As the Spanish know all too painfully well, a "traditional English breakfast" is many pints of lager. Avoid any British city centre after 11 at night (when the "youth" are vomiting and pis*ing in the street) - and even after 7 pm, when the middle-aged drunks are getting tanked up, and blundering around, loudly, usually in fancy dress costume. Never ever stay in a British hotel on a Friday or Saturday night - they pollute many European cities too on their obscene Stag/Hen nights.
2) British culture is truly an intellectual and cultural wasteland. Everything - everything - is pitched at the level of the lowest common denominator. TV is abysmal - BBC included - endless, endless repeats of brainless pap. The dumbest programs (e.g.Top Gear, Big Brother, Strictly Come Dancing, Britain has Talent) are wildly popular - makes professional wresting look tasteful.
3) British educational has fallen off the scale - nearly as bad as the USA. "University" education is a sick and costly joke. There are British University Arts graduates who have never heard of Jane Austin. There are "science" graduates who can't do basic Maths. Being intelligent in modern Britain is mostly considered an anachronistic joke (as opposed to many places in the USA, where being intelligent is considered a mortal sin).
4) British politics is utterly dreadful - all the political parties are completely clueless. Most are professional politicians who have never done a proper job of work in their lives. The idea that, in the 21st century, Britain would be "governed" by Bullendon Club lowlifes, is truly shameful.
5) The British press is a national disgrace. The likes of "The Daily Mail" and "The Sun" are shockingly horrible. For a true picture of modern Britain, try Googling "ownership of the British Press" - Jesus wept.
However, on a positive note, if you enjoy Facebook or Twitter, or texting while driving, or Tattoos, or Earrings, but especially, getting "rat assed", then Britain is for you.
Sounds like how Canada is getting
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

solanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond reputesolanocasa has a reputation beyond repute

To JRuss87

Only know Canada (Calgary) from the late 80's (when the Flames won the Stanley Cup) and loved it - the whole family did. If only we could go back in time......
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point

SOLANOCASA,
I want to laugh and cry at your post. You speak how I imagine it to be HOWEVER, are you glad to be back? Will you be staying for the moment?
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

JRuss87 is an unknown quantity at this point

To JRuss87

Only know Canada (Calgary) from the late 80's (when the Flames won the Stanley Cup) and loved it - the whole family did. If only we could go back in time......
I'm in Southern Ontario (St Catharines), it hasn't been a good place to live since the mid 1990's, I live in a city that is marred by unemployment and extremely high cost of living. Plus its a s*** hole, the only nice area around here is the GTA which is 45 minutes up the road and the tourist traps in Niagara Falls which is about 15 minutes away.

For example, recently the local news indicated that there are over 1000 applicants for every one job vacancy in St Catharines and the average rent is $800 per month for a one bedroom apartment. Almost seems like the tables have turned, Glasgow where my mum immigrated from to this area in the 1970's was having serious unemployment issues and high cost of living while Canada was enjoying high employment rates and relatively low cost of living.

Now I'm reading that the UK is experiencing an economic upswing with many job opportunities, cost of living is another thing however. Calgary on the other hand is supposed to be beautiful, but I've never been out that way, the flights are very expensive.

Last edited by JRuss87; Jul 22nd 2014 at 6:30 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

To LostBrit99

Overall (honest!) I don't regret returning. Whatever the negatives (which I expected, but not to the degree actually experienced), it was the right thing to do - I think, usually, we (many of we soft-backboned specimens anyway ) know only too clearly what is the right thing to do, but will delay as long as we can, and seek every excuse, to avoid the truth. If you are (or expect to become) a miserable old git like me, there's a huge amount of amusement to be had in contemporary Britain - (e.g. Ukip out-Pythons the old Monty Python's Circus every time !). You couldn't make most of this up. And, if you are happy (and have a reasonable amount of income - it's honestly not too expensive) to set up a comfortable life for yourself, to your own standards, then you can certainly do that back here. Good luck.
And I will stay as long as my immediate family need me. Should that change, I will move back to Southern Europe in a heartbeat. (As an aside, I can never work out why the heck Europe would want Britain (other than for our money) in Europe. If you have seen how Bullendon-club types act in Britain, imagine how much worse it is in Europe !).
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Jane Austin is more often called "Jane Austen" and I imagine you are trying to refer to the "Bullingdon" Club.

I too have spent thirty years all over the world, The UK has its problems but what you describe is a travesty of the truth.
Drink - yes, but that has been the case in Britain for centuries. Hogarths Gin Lane was no invention
The NHS is not all it could be it is true, but free access to those in need is a concept that quite simply makes me proud to be British. And always will. Of course it is unaffordable, of course we cannot treat the whole world, but to me it is simply unacceptable to imagine that someone might go to hospital and not be treated because they cannot afford it.
Education has it is true been appalling over the last quarter century or so, But the establishment IS now being rolled back. Anyway you have established unequivocally that it was not as great in the 60s as you fondly remember.
The Press in the UK has always been robust. The Mail and the Guardian are however just two ends of a spectrum. Most sit comfortably in between. Many countries would envy that range of views.
Nobody forces you to watch TV and to define British culture by the idiot box is an act of breathtaking ....I don't know what. Some of the stuff I have seen at the National and the Royal Ballet has been breathtaking and thought provoking.
Perhaps you should just get out more.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

To JRuss87

Sorry to hear about your local conditions. I hear things have gotten much more expensive across Canada, Calgary included) over the years - my old experience is completely irrelevant to your present day situation (for example, I was paid essentially in US dollars, and the exchange rate was much more favorable then).
As to back here (UK), we have found it, overall, much less expensive than we thought it would be - on similar income we are at least as well off here as we were in the USA (retired in both places, for the last 5+ years). Tax admin is a nightmare, but there may just be light at the end of the tunnel).
My wife is from Glasgow - which seems to be enjoying a relative boom these days - at least until the Tories find a way to tear the heart out of it.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I did remember you had suffered a divorce. That can be so, so very debilitating sometimes.

I guess when I have read your posts, I've wondered if it's really the UK you are unhappy with. Or if you are just generally unhappy due to all the bad stuff that has happened to you. (I wouldn't blame you one bit for being unsatisfied).

And I only bring that up because these advice threads can be so emotionally wrenching. It's hard enough to cipher out what makes a person happy. When we ask someone else "did something work out for you" - well that's such a loaded question.
I suppose it may be some of both. Of course it is a loaded question, but what I find on most, if not all of the post's on here they are for the most part positive rather than negative. I on the other hand tell it like it is. I thank you for your reply.
Regards
John
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

To Bigglesworth

Thanks for your spelling corrections - I stand unequivocally corrected, and am very red faced. (And I never could spell - I had to look up "unequivocally" from your post.)

I thought I was in fact praising the NHS ( and agree fully with your pride in it) - I'm sorry if I gave a contrary impression.

I too have read about the historical roots of British drunkenness - not sure how that excuses the current excesses, though.

On other matters, it sounds as if you (somewhat reluctantly) agree with much I have said - it's perhaps my clumsy and somewhat belligerent tone you are reacting against... ?

And I am happy to hear that you are able to enjoy ( and can afford to attend) the National and the Royal Ballet. I can only manage to get to the local Playhouse on an OAP discount.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like anywhere in the world to me where you are near large cities! To be honest if we were returning to the area of Essex (Borough of Havering London) where my OH kids are, I would slit my wrists! Then Vancouver Island would be paradise! I think like anywhere it is where you live that makes your life what it is and how much money you have as well! If on the bones of your arse in a socially deprived area, then there can be nothing worse than that to return to. Then again that can be anywhere in the world too! Where are you?

Our friends who are retired gave us a "heads up" go shopping after the school run around 9am and return before 3pm; meet friends during the week for lunch;stay home on weekends in your own garden; take the A and B Roads, avoid motorways; take lots of mini breaks to areas where you get mid week off season specials at hotels; watch BBC news once during the day to just keep up; read your local newspaper which comes twice a week free; go to library for books; join in clubs at your community to meet people, they joined the local sailing club and got to be the bartenders and made lots of friends.

I know my OH is going to also have problems that you have mentioned above with the people living in UK, then he is also teased about being like Victor Meldrew!
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by feelbritish

I know my OH is going to also have problems that you have mentioned above with the people living in UK, then he is also teased about being like Victor Meldrew!
I'm sorry but
>
>
>
"I don't believe it"
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moggi1964
I'm sorry but
>
>
>
"I don't believe it"
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

To feelbritish

Sounds like Victor, your husband and I might be long lost triplets.........

I think your retired friends gave you excellent advice - and of course a lot more measured and helpful than my original polemic. It certainly is possible to take small positive steps to enjoy the best and avoid the worst of your local surroundings - ours are in north Nottingham, by the way, very close to some lovely and almost empty countryside and easy travel to Derbyshire, Yorkshire, the east coast etc. We have also rented some lovely cottages in several attractive areas, for a week or so at a time, and always in school holidays.

And I was always under the impression that Vancouver Island was indeed Paradise.......
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRuss87
I'm in Southern Ontario (St Catharines), it hasn't been a good place to live since the mid 1990's, I live in a city that is marred by unemployment and extremely high cost of living. Plus its a s*** hole, the only nice area around here is the GTA which is 45 minutes up the road and the tourist traps in Niagara Falls which is about 15 minutes away.

What about Niagara On The Lake?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.