Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Old Oct 19th 2015, 2:36 am
Just Joined

ScotInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Hi all,

We have lived in Australia for 14 years. My wife and I are from Scotland and have two girls born here in Australia. We have really enjoyed a lot of our time in Australia and have made a life here way beyond what I ever imagined possible. Hard work and more education has payed off.

With all that, we miss family more every year. When it was just my wife and I it was all about travel, eating out, holidays and fun with friends. Once the kids came along, our friends changed as they do when your life changes like that.

We want for nothing materialistically but all that added up doesn't replace your family or feeling like you belong. Sometimes it would be nice not to be the people from somewhere else.

We have spent a long time thinking, researching and speaking to others that have returned to the UK. We have come to the conclusion that this decision is not one you can make up front with certainty of the outcome. Our plan is to go for 3 months and have someone house sit for us for 3 months. In that time we don't expect to experience the true feel of living there again. We can however possibly determine if the next bigger step of relocation is worth it.

Not everything can be theorised to a conclusion. Some things need to be experienced, felt and decisions made on that basis. We either will learn to hate it our love it. I see this as an investment into getting the "what if" out of our life. I believe the "what if" is stopping us settling down (which we want to do).

I think a lot of people hold themselves accountable up front for trying to determine what the right thing is to do. With most things, you plan it but other things happen you cannot be aware of or control. I don't think this is any different.

For me 80% of success is trying and the other 20% is having the courage to know when to give up an try something else.

Al

Last edited by ScotInOz; Oct 19th 2015 at 2:40 am.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 4:35 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotInOz
Hi all,

We have lived in Australia for 14 years. My wife and I are from Scotland and have two girls born here in Australia. We have really enjoyed a lot of our time in Australia and have made a life here way beyond what I ever imagined possible. Hard work and more education has payed off.

With all that, we miss family more every year. When it was just my wife and I it was all about travel, eating out, holidays and fun with friends. Once the kids came along, our friends changed as they do when your life changes like that.

We want for nothing materialistically but all that added up doesn't replace your family or feeling like you belong. Sometimes it would be nice not to be the people from somewhere else.

We have spent a long time thinking, researching and speaking to others that have returned to the UK. We have come to the conclusion that this decision is not one you can make up front with certainty of the outcome. Our plan is to go for 3 months and have someone house sit for us for 3 months. In that time we don't expect to experience the true feel of living there again. We can however possibly determine if the next bigger step of relocation is worth it.

Not everything can be theorised to a conclusion. Some things need to be experienced, felt and decisions made on that basis. We either will learn to hate it our love it. I see this as an investment into getting the "what if" out of our life. I believe the "what if" is stopping us settling down (which we want to do).

I think a lot of people hold themselves accountable up front for trying to determine what the right thing is to do. With most things, you plan it but other things happen you cannot be aware of or control. I don't think this is any different.

For me 80% of success is trying and the other 20% is having the courage to know when to give up an try something else.

Al
What a fantastic post. I think that you and your wife have a very happy future ahead of you, wherever it is you choose to hang your hats. Best of luck!
Old Oct 19th 2015, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotInOz
Hi all,

Al
Old Oct 21st 2015, 4:35 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

We returned home to the UK just over a year ago. We made the right decision for us at that time. I do love the UK but I am finding myself getting itchy feet again! Maybe Europe next time!
Old Oct 21st 2015, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
We returned home to the UK just over a year ago. We made the right decision for us at that time. I do love the UK but I am finding myself getting itchy feet again! Maybe Europe next time!

Thats what kept happening to us. Now settled in Cyprus BUT we keep exploring other places and return here.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You are lucky to have the options. I have been reading the threads on "Desperate to Migrate to the USA" and similar threads posted by people who do not have the necessary skills or capital to move abroad.