Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Old Sep 26th 2015, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by bearfacts
If you don't mind me asking, what took you back 4 times to the UK before settling in Cyprus? That must've been a lot of upheaval for you. I'm sure Cyprus is a fine place, looks gorgeous.
Each time my contract for work was finished, so back to blighty. I have to admit we deplore the place and are sad to say so.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
I've lived all my life in the U.S. since moving from the UK as a child. I confirm what Chris955 says. Americans are by and large flag-waving patriotic nut cases. I've endured a life of "love it or leave it", "we're the best country in the world", and the sense that American exceptionalism is assumed. Every other house in my neighborhood has the stars and stripes fluttering obnoxiously in the wind.

Yet they know nothing about the rest of the world.

I'm ready for some quiet civilized modesty when I move back. No more rednecks, guns, and flags for me. How's that for a sweeping statement (with respect).
Old Sep 27th 2015, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
I've lived all my life in the U.S. since moving from the UK as a child. I confirm what Chris955 says. Americans are by and large flag-waving patriotic nut cases. I've endured a life of "love it or leave it", "we're the best country in the world", and the sense that American exceptionalism is assumed. Every other house in my neighborhood has the stars and stripes fluttering obnoxiously in the wind.

Yet they know nothing about the rest of the world.

I'm ready for some quiet civilized modesty when I move back. No more rednecks, guns, and flags for me. How's that for a sweeping statement (with respect).
You've lived in the U.S. almost your entire life and you think all Americans are "patriotic nut cases"? That's quite a statement, I must say.

What's wrong with being patriotic? Does having a flag make one a "nut-case"? Wow.

I imagine you are also a U.S. citizen.

You've endured living in the U.S????????? Why haven't you left if it's just so awful?

I don't understand anyone saying such offensive things about an entire group of people, many of whom, I would imagine in your case, have been positive, integral parts of your life, yet you choose to say nasty things...but, I guess it just makes you feel good somehow, eh? Do you consider that some people that read those things might be Americans?

Last edited by Downton Gabby; Sep 27th 2015 at 5:00 am.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

bearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by themajor
Each time my contract for work was finished, so back to blighty. I have to admit we deplore the place and are sad to say so.
No Worries. As for UK life, I think it all depends on your circumstances and location. I have relatives and friends in Edinburgh and Manchester. They really enjoy those cities, good lifestyle and friends. Their kids are doing well. Then again know people in London who dislike the commute, pressure at work etc. Not to say London is bad as such, but yeah just depends on your situation. I've spent time up around the North West recently, Chester, North Wales, really nice, and friendly people. Of course you simply don't get the fine Med. climate you enjoy in Cyprus. But there's always easyjet for those quick holiday breaks...

Cheers.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
You've lived in the U.S. almost your entire life and you think all Americans are "patriotic nut cases"? That's quite a statement, I must say.

What's wrong with being patriotic? Does having a flag make one a "nut-case"? Wow.

I imagine you are also a U.S. citizen.

You've endured living in the U.S????????? Why haven't you left if it's just so awful?

I don't understand anyone saying such offensive things about an entire group of people, many of whom, I would imagine in your case, have been positive, integral parts of your life, yet you choose to say nasty things...but, I guess it just makes you feel good somehow, eh? Do you consider that some people that read those things might be Americans?
Well, what an arrogant post. Sounds like "love it or leave it" has returned from the super patriotic rightwing. Freedom to express thoughts and opinions along with self-criticism is something they don't accept or understand.

I served in the military for 4 years putting my life on the line, followed by 25 years in the federal government. What did you do for your country besides sitting in your suburb, paying taxes, and waving your flag? What are you doing lurking at an expat forum and criticising those who don't meet your patriotic standards?

Old Sep 28th 2015, 12:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Downton Gabby and Richard8655 please take your differences to PM...they have no place in this thread. Thank you.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearfacts
No Worries. As for UK life, I think it all depends on your circumstances and location. I have relatives and friends in Edinburgh and Manchester. They really enjoy those cities, good lifestyle and friends. Their kids are doing well. Then again know people in London who dislike the commute, pressure at work etc. Not to say London is bad as such, but yeah just depends on your situation. I've spent time up around the North West recently, Chester, North Wales, really nice, and friendly people. Of course you simply don't get the fine Med. climate you enjoy in Cyprus. But there's always easyjet for those quick holiday breaks...

Cheers.
Yes of course you are so right. There are parts of the UK that we love. It is just that living there as we did each time we returned ...Well we just could get into the UK way of life.

We have bee back for a five week holiday-that was a bit too long though. We loved the Yorkshire dales and the Lincolnshire wolds. As you say parts of the country are great. For us it is a NO NO.

Good luck
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by katie97
6 years in Calgary, nearly 3 years back home, only regret, we went to Canada in the first place !!!
Looks like we will be in the same boat....we move back in Jan 2016 and will have been in Calgary for nearly 6 yrs.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no regrets about retiring and coming to live on a Scottish island. I do sometimes wish that those around me were a bit more clued up on the wider world. Maybe I should not be surprised if those living on an "insula" can be insular !
Old Oct 6th 2015, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
You've lived in the U.S. almost your entire life and you think all Americans are "patriotic nut cases"? That's quite a statement, I must say. What's wrong with being patriotic? Does having a flag make one a "nut-case"? Wow. I imagine you are also a U.S. citizen. You've endured living in the U.S????????? Why haven't you left if it's just so awful? I don't understand anyone saying such offensive things about an entire group of people, many of whom, I would imagine in your case, have been positive, integral parts of your life, yet you choose to say nasty things...but, I guess it just makes you feel good somehow, eh? Do you consider that some people that read those things might be Americans?
The poster has every right to express their views. I thought Americans held that right highly? As for Americans may be reading what was written ...so what?
I find pretty much the same thing with Americans actually. Not the most favourable part of their DNA.
Old Oct 10th 2015, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

CitizenSmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by windsong
I have been back two months now and have no regrets. I am a bit frustrated because I am still waiting for a job. I got a bit stressed initially because there seemed to be a lot of bureaucracy to endure to get re-established but most of that is fine now.

The lifestyle is less materialistic here and I like that. I do miss the sun a bit but I can easily get around that one.

The food and supermarkets are wonderful.

After 30+ years in the USA, I honestly wonder where my life went because I can't remember very much of my time there. When I lived in the USA, I missed the UK every single day.

I am now where I belong.
This is exactly how I think (hope) it will be, as I'm in the process of hopefully planning a move back with my young family. Despite having done a number of moves in my life, moving back to the UK this time, with my wife, two youngish kids, and two dogs - plus having a whole house of 'stuff' to sell off/ship back, feels very overwhelming.

My wife and I miss the UK, but have to admit that we have quite a nice life here in the USA. However...life does as you say, just seem to pass you by, with one day rolling into the next, then into months, then into years....and you wonder....what have we actually experienced that makes things memorable?
Old Oct 11th 2015, 12:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I have no regrets about retiring and coming to live on a Scottish island. I do sometimes wish that those around me were a bit more clued up on the wider world. Maybe I should not be surprised if those living on an "insula" can be insular !
You could've compromised, moved to a peninsular!
Old Oct 11th 2015, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Edinburgh ? Ah, it must be nice to be surrounded by other English folk !
Old Oct 11th 2015, 5:13 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Edinburgh ? Ah, it must be nice to be surrounded by other English folk !
Scot47, was there any particular reason you chose Bute to settle, other than fewer English folks?
Old Oct 12th 2015, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bute has many residents from England. Popular destination for retirement and holidays. Bute has lots of suitable property - both for sale and for rental. That was a large factor in my choice. It is also quite feasible to live here without a car. In large parts of rural Scotland that is no longer the case. Mild climate in winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.