Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Old Aug 26th 2014, 4:17 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by magpie62
thats how i feel and have felt for years but everything i read in the British press is so negative and so are my relative.They say what do you want to come back here for. Then I visit and they are all laughing and enjoying life on the most part. I long come back home after 25 years and just be "home" should I do it.
Firstly ignore the press, some sectors of it would put a negative spin on a lottery win. The English tend to be pretty negative about their country but when pushed most wouldnt leave. Its just an automatic thing for some. We have absolutely no regrets.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

magpie62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you chris955, you are probably right about the English being pretty negative. Glad you have no regrets. I guess you just have to listen to your heart.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:12 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

No regrets at all for our family. I'm off that roller coaster of emotions and feel really settled.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

We did a trip to Scotland this past weekend - went up via the A66 and back via the A1 and the scenery was fantastic. Was driving with a big grin on my face. I can't describe it but it felt right, like this was where I was meant to be. Even the colder weather has a silver lining - how nice to be able to go outside and do things, without breaking out into rivers of sweat or getting bitten to death. My metabolism is definitely built for a Northern European climate.

Returning to the UK does take a bit of mental re-adjustment to "moaning is the national pastime" mindset, but once you're past that, and can chuck in a couple of "think yourself lucky" anecdotes from the country you've been living in to shut up the worst whingers, then the quality of life is fine. Good bits and bad bits like there has always been. The worst thing is probably the cost of buying a property, but that is the same for people who've always lived here, not just returnees.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Firstly ignore the press, some sectors of it would put a negative spin on a lottery win. The English tend to be pretty negative about their country but when pushed most wouldnt leave. Its just an automatic thing for some. We have absolutely no regrets.
Have to agree and the Irish are the same:-) Seems to be the Island mentality and the constant moaning about the weather also get's on my nerves. Lived in Kent and you get just as many sunshine hours as Paris, but you never hear them complain like we do. Even Dublin has more sunshine hours than Cologne in Germany, but when you go to Germany they ask how it is never seeing the sun
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
We did a trip to Scotland this past weekend - went up via the A66 and back via the A1 and the scenery was fantastic. Was driving with a big grin on my face. I can't describe it but it felt right, like this was where I was meant to be. Even the colder weather has a silver lining - how nice to be able to go outside and do things, without breaking out into rivers of sweat or getting bitten to death. My metabolism is definitely built for a Northern European climate.

Returning to the UK does take a bit of mental re-adjustment to "moaning is the national pastime" mindset, but once you're past that, and can chuck in a couple of "think yourself lucky" anecdotes from the country you've been living in to shut up the worst whingers, then the quality of life is fine. Good bits and bad bits like there has always been. The worst thing is probably the cost of buying a property, but that is the same for people who've always lived here, not just returnees.
That's how it is for me - it feels right, that is worth more than anything.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Like wearing an old pair of slippers...comfortable.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Old Aug 28th 2014, 3:37 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magpie62
thats how i feel and have felt for years but everything i read in the British press is so negative and so are my relative.They say what do you want to come back here for. Then I visit and they are all laughing and enjoying life on the most part. I long come back home after 25 years and just be "home" should I do it.
It's in our blood to think the grass is always greener. That's why so many Brits think of emigrating to warmer climes, and half of them return when they realise life wasn't actually that bad!
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

In preparation listed to You and Yours on Radio 4. Lots of moaning. I could also suggest reading The Daily Mail, but that is going too far!
Old Aug 29th 2014, 1:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It does me a lot of good reading comments like this, Sally. Although I think I have a good understanding of the pull the UK has on Scouse, reading how comfortable and right it feel for you makes me happy. I know that Scouse will be like a pig in mud He deserves that happiness.

It also helps me in a kind of reverse way. I've been so busy with the practicalities of the move (visas, flat etc) that I haven't given a lot of thought to how I'll feel about leaving Australia. My Mum's 81, my sister has breast cancer - I've started to feel a bit selfish, like I'm deserting them.

Being a practical type, I talked about it with each member of my immediate family. All are supportive (although one sister cries every time I mention it, so I tend to avoid the subject now with her), but the greatest support is from Mum and my sister with cancer. I think I understand a bit better now, how people feel when they emigrate.

So thanks to all the posters who talk about this, no matter what your experiences are, you help other people by talking about them.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It does me a lot of good reading comments like this, Sally. Although I think I have a good understanding of the pull the UK has on Scouse, reading how comfortable and right it feel for you makes me happy. I know that Scouse will be like a pig in mud He deserves that happiness.

It also helps me in a kind of reverse way. I've been so busy with the practicalities of the move (visas, flat etc) that I haven't given a lot of thought to how I'll feel about leaving Australia. My Mum's 81, my sister has breast cancer - I've started to feel a bit selfish, like I'm deserting them.

Being a practical type, I talked about it with each member of my immediate family. All are supportive (although one sister cries every time I mention it, so I tend to avoid the subject now with her), but the greatest support is from Mum and my sister with cancer. I think I understand a bit better now, how people feel when they emigrate.

So thanks to all the posters who talk about this, no matter what your experiences are, you help other people by talking about them.
I hope you will feel OK Spouse It's something that just seems to descend upon you one way or the other.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yellowroom

Funny you mention the cold weather having its benefits, thats what we look forward to the most in the Uk, is the cold weather and being able to walk outside without suffocating
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

I feel for you, my family were very supportive when I left, quite excited for me, it was me that did not expect to feel homesick and miss them so much especially when we moved on to Canada and I was half way around the world from them then!
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:21 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello! You're going to have to change your name to TorontoGirl!
How's life in Canada? Do you miss NJ?
I've just come back from 2 months in England.
If I could I'd get back on a plane tomorrow. Homesickness suckssssss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.