Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:32 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by PeppaPigA113
I think the UK is too expensive to move back to! When people ask me about the UK here like the price of gas and stuff. They wonder how on earth i afforded to live there.
Decent wages & not paying $500 each month in health insurance for starters. Oh, and re fuel costs, European cars do 50-70mpg, compared to 25-40mpg that US cars do.

There's also no property tax (an insanely expensive tax) in the UK. PT makes council tax look decidedly good value for money!
Old Aug 14th 2014, 4:57 am
Just Joined

CarltonCrabbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello HH, a lot of UK expats returning home will fall into the 40% tax bracket which starts at just 42,000. On top of that that you have National Insurance, VAT, council tax, fuel duty, road tax, stamp duty to buy a home if you haven't got one. This makes UK tax look very high and that's why i don't think many people will enjoy moving home, certainly for the taxes they will have to pay.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarltonCrabbe
Hello HH, a lot of UK expats returning home will fall into the 40% tax bracket which starts at just 42,000. On top of that that you have National Insurance, VAT, council tax, fuel duty, road tax, stamp duty to buy a home if you haven't got one. This makes UK tax look very high and that's why i don't think many people will enjoy moving home, certainly for the taxes they will have to pay.
Then let them stay in Dubai.
For other expats returning from USA; Canada; Western Europe; Australia; New Zealand etc they just exchange their previous taxes for the UK ones - simples.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 8:34 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Then let them stay in Dubai.
For other expats returning from USA; Canada; Western Europe; Australia; New Zealand etc they just exchange their previous taxes for the UK ones - simples.
Mmm, tough choice live in the UK or Dubai
Exactly as you say the vast majority of expats return from the countries you list and many find it cheaper back here now.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 8:36 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeppaPigA113
Also the UK is nothing at all like it was 50 years ago. the customer service has long gone from that country
No s*** sherlock, its nothing like it was 50 years ago, who'd of thought that?
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly...it looks high. Compared to the US...on the surface the US looks a much cheaper place to live...but it isn't IMO.

We moved there in 1996...our monthly utilities and car insurance were approx the same as we were paying annually in the UK. Annual property tax for our house in New Jersey was approx $20K...yes $20,000 per year.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Exactly...it looks high. Compared to the US...on the surface the US looks a much cheaper place to live...but it isn't IMO.

We moved there in 1996...our monthly utilities and car insurance were approx the same as we were paying annually in the UK. Annual property tax for our house in New Jersey was approx $20K...yes $20,000 per year.
Indeed, looks can be very deceptive
Old Aug 14th 2014, 1:47 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Hello HH, a lot of UK expats returning home will fall into the 40% tax bracket which starts at just 42,000.
I'm fully aware of that, and its scandalous that as tax banding that was only meant to catch the rich in society is now capturing lower middle income earners.

On top of that that you have National Insurance
Which pays for the NHS (apparently) and part of your retirement. The US has Social Security anyway, which is around 7% iirc.

VAT
The US has sales tax. Not close to 20% admittedly, but in some states it's 10%+.

council tax
Council tax is a rip off in England, BUT compared to Property Tax here it looks like exceptional value for money!

fuel duty
European cars should be getting around double the miles of a North American one, so whilst fuel duty is an outrage, it is manageable by the extreme mpg rates European cars are capable of now.

This makes UK tax look very high and that's why i don't think many people will enjoy moving home, certainly for the taxes they will have to pay.
'Looks high', but in reality you're getting FAR more for your money than you ever do in the US (apart from electrical / computer items, the US is leagues ahead of the UK in both availability and pricing of those).
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
...... Council tax is a rip off in England, BUT compared to Property Tax here it looks like exceptional value for money! .....
Well you choose to live in Boston, and aspire to move to the West Coast where property taxes can be even higher, but your experience is not typical. I pay almost exactly the same I did for a two bed 700sqft terraced house in London as I now do for a four bed 2,800 sqft house on 100x the land.
.... European cars should be getting around double the miles of a North American one, so whilst fuel duty is an outrage, it is manageable by the extreme mpg rates European cars are capable of now.
Yeah, but at the upper end of those MPG figures they are unpleasant tin boxes that I wouldn't want to drive across town in, much less commute every day in, or drive 100+ miles in. That supposes I could even fit into one, for reasons of my height, I must emphasise! ..... For the record most of the past 12 years I have commuted in a car capable of close to 40mpg (UK), but which is quite roomy, comfortable, and handles quite well. It also has a 2.4l engine, which does not make me a bad person.
'Looks high', but in reality you're getting FAR more for your money than you ever do in the US .....
Which may be a bunch of stuff that you neither need nor even want!
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well you choose to live in Boston, and aspire to move to the West Coast where property taxes can be even higher, but your experience is not typical. I pay almost exactly the same I did for a two bed 700sqft terraced house in London as I now do for a four bed 2,800 sqft house on 100x the land.
Comparing to London to anywhere other than NYC or SFO isn't really fair though. Whilst housing prices are less just outside of Boston than where I lived in the south east of England, when you add in property taxes and other associated costs, I actually end up paying MORE for my mortgage than I would in the UK. How does that make sense??

Sure, if I moved down south costs would be drastically reduced, but I don't want to live down south. I want to live in a place that has an equivalent standard of living as where I lived in England. With that comes living costs that are in line (and often exceed) England's.

Yeah, but at the upper end of those MPG figures they are unpleasant tin boxes that I wouldn't want to drive across town in, much less commute every day in, or drive 100+ miles in.
I strongly disagree. A diesel BMW 3 gets 50+ mpg now. A Ford Focus gets 62mpg, and a VW Golf Bluemotion gets 88mpg (apparently). These are not tin box cars but everyday cars used by millions.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I also find that home improvements...new kitchen or bathroom...cost an arm and a leg in the US. Also the stick houses cost far more to upkeep...new roof, AC and heating units...bugs eating the wooden houses away.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Mexico, have done for seven years and there are masses of Americans and Canadians moving down here. They cant get away quick enough. All they do is complain about the price of things, high taxes and healthcare.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by LostBrit99
I live in Mexico, have done for seven years and there are masses of Americans and Canadians moving down here. They cant get away quick enough. All they do is complain about the price of things, high taxes and healthcare.
And they move to Mexico (a state rampant with criminal activity and lawlessness) for a better life?
Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol, H.H how incorrect you are. Firstly Mexico is a country not a state. We have been here seven years, leave car door windows open, leave our front doors open, no problems. It may be bad in the North but not where we are. The only criminal activity in Mexico is for the routes into the Usa because they like to stuff so much cocaine up their noses. No drug problems in schools here like the Usa or shootings in schools either.
Like I said, seven years here now and I know. I live here!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
.... These are not tin box cars but everyday cars used by millions.
Millions eat every day at McDonalds, but that doesn't make their burgers equivalent to steaks.

FWIW I've been a passenger in a 3 Series and it was impossibly cramped, such that I would not choose to drive one, and if I did (assuming I even could) the back seat would be useless. The same is true IME of all small "urban" cars.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 14th 2014 at 3:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.