Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all
Default re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Must check to see if Scouse's vasectomy can be reversed
That is so funny really gave me a chuckle this morning..
Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
That is so funny really gave me a chuckle this morning..
If I've made someone smile London, then I feel like I've had a good day
Old Aug 4th 2014, 2:28 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Fortunately those people are in the minority, they are vocal about it but yes the minority. Some Brits, the same as some Aussies, Americans etc are just negative. When we spoke to friends here and told them about our plans they were incredibly positive and supportive. I wouldnt base your decision on the ranting of one person to be fair.
Actually the more and more time I spend in the UK, and the more and more people I speak to I would say it's not the minority that feel that way. To explain what I mean by that is this: The people who share such negative sentiments about the UK are (in the main) people who have never lived or worked abroad. Eg They go on holiday over all the world, and so look upon other countries with rose tinted glasses on. They don't understand that no matter where you live in the world there are issues with unemployment/immigration/health/politics/<insert issues here> etc etc. However to generalize, us Brits like to moan, and as such I'm sure many of us who have family and friends in the UK, and when we visit, hear a lot of negative comments about the UK.

All that to say, we should try and not let a person's negative view of a country (any country) cloud our own. We should look at our wants and needs and figure out where we can best meet those needs. For some that's the Cotswolds, or London, or Cornwall, or Scotland, or indeed abroad ... you get the idea.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point

To sum it up this is how I feel after 15 yrs out of the Uk......Remember the film Forrest Gump, when he runs and runs all around the Usa and then suddenly stops, turns around and goes home?
Thats me. Thats how I feel. I just want to stop. Turn around and go home.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Regrets? None. This was brought home to me last week, sitting under an umbrella in the rain at the local "proms" concert, in a stunning garden. So classically, quintessentially british, no screaming "We love you [insert country here]", just solid calm pride. Lovely.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LostBrit99
To sum it up this is how I feel after 15 yrs out of the Uk......Remember the film Forrest Gump, when he runs and runs all around the Usa and then suddenly stops, turns around and goes home?
Thats me. Thats how I feel. I just want to stop. Turn around and go home.
Yes, I to have watched that film many times and yes your home country will always have that pull. All I can say is, and you would see this sign at railway crossing "Stop look and listen"... For some it's the right move if you have family to help you and plenty of money and hopefully get employment ASAP. I have often been accused of posting negative comments, but anyone that's thinking of making a huge undertaking need to know it's no always a bed of roses. Whatever your decision I wish you the best of luck. You will get a lot of opinions on here, but only you can make the decision.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh - I dunno about that Chris. I think that someone originally from, say, a Eastern European country, would get an earful from some (but definitely not all) Brits if they complained about the UK. You might even be one of them.......

You're a bit of a conundrum to me. You make a lot of sense sometimes, and then you go and spoil it by making sweeping generalisations.

As I said before, I don't have a problem with people saying negative things about Australia, and I do my fair share of jumping up and down about issues. By the same token, there is much that I love about Australia.

I love Australia Day, and one of the reasons for that is that I always fly the Australian and Aboriginal flags on my car - for the first Australians and for those who came afterwards. Whilst I mostly get friendly toots and thumbs up from other motorists, I do occasionally get the one-fingered salute - which really makes my day

I will never, ever go down the 'my country is better than your country' path, it's utter bollocks.
Wonderful post. You are right in many way's. Like you I have seen both sides of the coin. Most people live in the real world whereas some have the means to make a better life for themselves and therefor adjust easier.

Ps still chuckling from the "reverse the snip comment" see I used the word snip because like you I have a problem spelling the other word lol....
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:03 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
Regrets? None. This was brought home to me last week, sitting under an umbrella in the rain at the local "proms" concert, in a stunning garden. So classically, quintessentially british, no screaming "We love you [insert country here]", just solid calm pride. Lovely.
Exactly, quiet patriotism as opposed to the chest beating flag waving we see in America and Australia.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sue
Actually the more and more time I spend in the UK, and the more and more people I speak to I would say it's not the minority that feel that way. To explain what I mean by that is this: The people who share such negative sentiments about the UK are (in the main) people who have never lived or worked abroad. Eg They go on holiday over all the world, and so look upon other countries with rose tinted glasses on. They don't understand that no matter where you live in the world there are issues with unemployment/immigration/health/politics/<insert issues here> etc etc. However to generalize, us Brits like to moan, and as such I'm sure many of us who have family and friends in the UK, and when we visit, here a lot of negative comments about the UK.

All that to say, we should try and not let a person's negative view of a country (any country) cloud our own. We should look at our wants and needs and figure out where we can best meet those needs. For some that's the Cotswolds, or London, or Cornwall, or Scotland, or indeed abroad ... you get the idea.

That's exactly it!!
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, quiet patriotism as opposed to the chest beating flag waving we see in America and Australia.
Which parts of America have you lived in?
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:51 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Which parts of America have you lived in?
I havent lived in any parts of America, have you?
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:53 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I havent lived in any parts of America, have you?
Nope - visited a few times but never lived there. I also never made a sweeping statement about Americans
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:56 am
Banned

Nope - visited a few times but never lived there. I also never made a sweeping statement about Americans
OK.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for making that statement about Americans. I have never lived in Australia, America yes, so I do not make comments on people that have lived in Australia. Sometimes I feel that when someone has had made a success in their adopted country and had the opportunity with a good job they have the means to adjust to their new home in the UK.

Regards
John
Old Aug 5th 2014, 11:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
Wonderful post. You are right in many way's. Like you I have seen both sides of the coin. Most people live in the real world whereas some have the means to make a better life for themselves and therefor adjust easier.

Ps still chuckling from the "reverse the snip comment" see I used the word snip because like you I have a problem spelling the other word lol....
You sound like a lovely person, John. I'm sorry that things aren't the best for you right now and will keep my fingers crossed that life improves for you very soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.