An American view.

Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An American view.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
By reading their earlier posts, the poster returned to the UK after nearly 30 years away. As they said "it is not the same country they left in 1982"
To which I would say "thank goodness for that". Admittedly, I haven't moved back, but I find England a far more interesting place than the one I left not long after.. 1982.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
To comment on one issue: Why do we have to pay for a licence to watch TV?

The licence is around 125 GBP per annum I believe and that's it apart from if you want premium sports channels.

I'm paying nearly a $100 per month for cable - try not paying for cable or Dish or Direct TV and see what you get. Why do some Brits think that they should not pay for the programs they watch?
I'd happily swap the license fee for the cost of broadband access the UK gets compared to the US. A recent study suggests it's over twice as expensive in the US for slower speed. Really, complaining about the TV license seems like not seeing the wood for the trees:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24528383

As to the OP, when I see a laundry list of negatives followed by a token positive - about any place - I smell an agenda rather than an attempt to have a rational discussion.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 16th 2014 at 5:37 am.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

As to the OP, when I see a laundry list of negatives followed by a token positive - about any place - I smell an agenda rather than an attempt to have a rational discussion.
Indeed......especially when the poster has plenty of 'previous' for this type of rant
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Ok so apart from Doctor Who, what 'quality' have the BBC given us (recently)
My weekly fix of Casualty
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:55 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have come to realise nothing the OP posts should be taken very seriously. Some (most) of the points made in the opening post are just nonsense and dont stand up to even basic scrutiny.
Lenient on crime, just literally read about an a bloke in America out on bail for murder then murdered his ex and ate her heart and lungs.
Everything takes 6-8 weeks, how absurd.
Quite frankly it is a waste of energy dissecting this kind of post, it is so inaccurate in so many ways.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:00 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My weekly fix of Casualty
You can't keep a good mod down!
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:04 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so apart from Doctor Who, what 'quality' have the BBC given us (recently)
The radio alone is worth the fee I'm not paying on I-player.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but that bit made me chuckle. The days of quality programming anywhere in the world are long gone. Imo obviously.
Really? I happily pay the licence fee for an uninterrupted hour of what I consider quality programming - for me that's usually dramas like The Fall, the White Queen, Luther, Line of Duty, Sherlock, Happy Valley, the Honourable Woman, and then lighter stuff like The Great British Bake Off, Top Gear, Have I Got News For You, etc. Not to mention the 24 news, great documentaries and stunning wildlife documentaries.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:21 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Really? I happily pay the licence fee for an uninterrupted hour of what I consider quality programming - for me that's usually dramas like The Fall, the White Queen, Luther, Line of Duty, Sherlock, Happy Valley, the Honourable Woman, and then lighter stuff like The Great British Bake Off, Top Gear, Have I Got News For You, etc. Not to mention the 24 news, great documentaries and stunning wildlife documentaries.
Absolutely, British programming and especially the BBC is light years ahead of what I see elsewhere.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:26 am
Not around much..

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm only an ordinary poster now, I might start telling it as it is, and be inflammatory threads shortly.

Ok, this kind of Mod then
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: An American view.

Originally Posted by chris955
I have come to realise nothing the OP posts should be taken very seriously. Some (most) of the points made in the opening post are just nonsense and dont stand up to even basic scrutiny.
Lenient on crime, just literally read about an a bloke in America out on bail for murder then murdered his ex and ate her heart and lungs.
Everything takes 6-8 weeks, how absurd.
Quite frankly it is a waste of energy dissecting this kind of post, it is so inaccurate in so many ways.
Agreed. Every young woman out with a baby is a single mum on benefits. It's the sort of thing my mum thinks, with no evidence at all.

Also agree with Giantaxe, the country has got miles better since 1982.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Sep 16th 2014 at 7:31 am.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Agreed. Every young woman out with a baby is a single mum on benefits. It's the sort of thing my mum thinks, with no evidence at all.

Its just Daily Mail nonsense which unfortunately some swallow hook line and sinker.

Yeah, the country isnt the same as it was in 1982, no sh** sherlock Agreed, in so many ways it is just so much better than it was back then.

We visited America back in the late 90's and while we had a good time it is the last place in the world I would want to live but that just shows we are all different.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Also the myth that a young girl having a baby will automatically get housed is a load of rubbish, yes they do get accomodation, only if where they are living is inadequate, and then often a poor quality apartment in a highrise, then they get to go on TV and complain about the accomodation they were given, when some of them set out delibratley to get prognant to get away from home.
I can honestly say I've seen no real problems in the streets, and have lived in one area that was renowned for the number of drug addicts, but apart from hearing about one house that burned down from a fire started by faulty electrics in the 'growhouse' in the attic and seeing a few people obviously on 'something' wandering the street, never had any problems, neither did I when living in Spain in a somewhat similar area.

As has been pointed out, education is now compulsory till 18, and vocational courses and apprenticeships are being set up everywhere. One of the problems the UK has had is that many people believe that getting a university degree is essential, so they study mickey mouse degrees, which qualify them nicely to work in McDonalds or behind the tills in a supermarket.

Maany of the kids seen around looking aimless are there because it's simpler to live of benefits of paretns than get a job, but this is changing, the qualifications for benefits are being tightened up, and the levels altered so yhat it's much less simple to livve the way they want on benefit money.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why the OP is living in the UK.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's list kind of makes me want to say 'don't sweat the small stuff'
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petrichor
I don't understand why the OP is living in the UK.
I have previously asked him that with no reply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.