Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Just a quick note to say can we please get off the personal insults.

If I offended anyone with my posts, then I am sorry. It is a view, not aimed at any of you, but if that's the way its going to be I shall refrain from further posts on this thread.

Wherever you choose to live, I hope you are happy. I am not, so I am leaving. Everyone has their own decisions to make, and no one view is the right one.

Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

gasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
I know a lot about Australia having lived my child/youth years there before returning to the U.K. and I am fully aware of racial problems in Australia. I am not entering this with my eyes shut nor am I expecting paradise.
I have not been to Perth, yet I understand media blackouts of racial confrontation from my own town. I am not ignorant to what goes on and hope that the situation is sorted in the area you live. This is how the riots in my town began form escalation of incidents which went unreported by the local paper from fear of retribution from either sides.
We will be moving to Melbourne, joining my Dad and family and we have seen homelessness and drug abuse but compared to the tension of the waiting time bomb we are living with here, I am ready and prepared from recent visits to face the future there with my family.
J x
Ah, I see, you are moving from a room with a bomb in it with a short fuse, to another room with a bomb in it with a longer fuse as such. mmmm
Old Sep 1st 2006, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Beryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossfive5
Yes, you are mad. It sounds like a romantic idea. Unless you have a fair amount of cash, you are not likely to be able to afford a nice (expensive) cottage in the countryside, and the cities are dismal. If your 8 year old daughter goes to one of the many state schools in the suburbs, she is likely to be bullied and teased about her accent after the initial fascination wears off. The English are not as accepting of foreigners as the Aussies and kids can be cruel. Sorry if I have offended anyone, this is what I have experienced to be true, but maybe you will be one of the lucky few. The reality of living in the UK is very different to the romantic view portrayed in story books.
Fascinating that you believe the English are not as accepting of foreigners as the Aussies - I would say the complete opposite! My son had an horrendous beginning to his school out here - simply because he was a Pommy. He got the p*** taken out of him something rotten, and it went on and on. It's only now after a year and a half that it's settled down and he has some lovely friends who know him for the fab kid that he is. Mind you, almost all of them are from other countries! I have often sensed that Perth people can't stand the English! I find I have to be so careful what I say, and how I say it! As for cracking jokes..... forget it! It is so misunderstood. I think the English are possibly too accepting of foreigners - perhaps that's why so many Brits have left to make way for the massive influx of them over the years!
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imveryconfused
Britain is just another country. You cannot say that all countries are the same, but most developed countries all have the same problems. Parts of Britain are nice, and parts are horrid, but city living is always more expensive. However, just like in America, where there is white flight to the suburbs, in England there is flight to the countryside, so prices are going up there too. If you are moving to England to live this fantasy life in the countryside that you saw in a Jane Austen movie, then you need to come back to reality.
element of truth to this....not sure about the white flight though!! We caught Bridget Jones on Tv the other day, the village she lives in was covered in a kind of fake snow. I could imagine alot of people homesick for this sort of thing, but it was rather glammed up.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo

if this is the case then definitely head for one of the villages - you'll find more friendly faces and more community spirit than is probably possible in a sprawling mass of skyscrapers and traffic. Someone else suggested the Cotwolds....excellent choice. We're just on the edge, and yes whilst some of it isn't what it used to be, there is still much to rave about.

What line of work are you in?
Until a few years ago, I went to the Cotswolds from London a fair bit over a 10 year time period. Considered living there for a while back in the late 90s/early 2000s. I reckon you'd have to live away from some of the main tracks to get a decent life and that might impact your line of work.

It does seem to have changed though. The town centres have head south. Even Hutchy seems to think parts of it are a bad area.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sue
The OP started a legitimate post asking for thoughts and instead of informative, constructive answers we are all having a go at each other. Can we please get back to the topic at hand ..... and show how kind and helpful we British are supposed to be by answering the OP's question.

why puLl us up for this, yet ignore the ever DISGUSTING RACISM ON THIS FORUM????
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lizajeanoz
Hello (new here)
I'm an American, who has been living in Australia for the last 5 years. I'm in the process of moving back to the U.S., (following a marriage ending - and family there, blah, blah), but having a very difficult time coming to terms with going back to the U.S. I have always had a desire/dream/fascination with living in the countryside of England, and keep thinking maybe I should head there instead. I have a daughter, 8, who's coming with me. There's a lot a like about Australia, but after 5 years, just tired of living so far away from everywhere else I'ld like to experience. I have grown sons that live on the east coast of the U.S., so the U.K., is pretty convenient.

Is it recommended/difficult/impossible/mad for a single mother in her (late) 40's to live happily, educate her child well, and get the occasional date in the english countryside is the question I am asking?

Thank you for your input and honesty!

CHECK this website out http://www.americanexpats.co.uk/,

its for american expats living in the UK. and there seem to a many of them! good luck and dont believe everything people say on here, life is what u make no matter where you live, for some people the UK is hell for others heaven, and the same goes for the US and just about anywhere else, just us british has a bad habit of moaning, take no notice of it!!
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:03 am
Just Joined

decca will become famous soon enough

Hello (new here)
I'm an American, who has been living in Australia for the last 5 years. I'm in the process of moving back to the U.S., (following a marriage ending - and family there, blah, blah), but having a very difficult time coming to terms with going back to the U.S. I have always had a desire/dream/fascination with living in the countryside of England, and keep thinking maybe I should head there instead. I have a daughter, 8, who's coming with me. There's a lot a like about Australia, but after 5 years, just tired of living so far away from everywhere else I'ld like to experience. I have grown sons that live on the east coast of the U.S., so the U.K., is pretty convenient.

Is it recommended/difficult/impossible/mad for a single mother in her (late) 40's to live happily, educate her child well, and get the occasional date in the english countryside is the question I am asking?

Hi, I have lived in Australia for two years, I am from the UK and I much prefer living in the UK, I find the Australian life not very good, the drivers here are not very courteous, I find the Brits a much friendlier bunch, good luck in the UK
Old Sep 5th 2006, 10:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London7
why puLl us up for this, yet ignore the ever DISGUSTING RACISM ON THIS FORUM????
Just because you do not see comments from Mods/Admin on the forum does not mean that the issue is not being addressed behind the scenes.

PS - no need to SHOUT!!

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 5th 2006 at 10:12 am.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:45 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello (new here)

It realy depends on your concept of the countryside and how much cash you have. We moved back from Sydney to a riverside village in south Hampshire with easy access to countryside (New Forest, South Downs) and cities (Southampton, Winchester, Portsmouth, Chichester, Portsmouth, Brighton, London even) and absolutely love it. IT is thebest of both worlds. Living in a stranded village may be inconvenient for some - many Londoners move straight back to London from slepy country villages.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beryl the Peril
Fascinating that you believe the English are not as accepting of foreigners as the Aussies - I would say the complete opposite! My son had an horrendous beginning to his school out here - simply because he was a Pommy. He got the p*** taken out of him something rotten, and it went on and on. It's only now after a year and a half that it's settled down and he has some lovely friends who know him for the fab kid that he is. Mind you, almost all of them are from other countries! I have often sensed that Perth people can't stand the English! I find I have to be so careful what I say, and how I say it! As for cracking jokes..... forget it! It is so misunderstood. I think the English are possibly too accepting of foreigners - perhaps that's why so many Brits have left to make way for the massive influx of them over the years!
Mates of ours are from singapore, their tiny eight year old had his glasses smashed into his face by fat aussie kid whos almost twice his size. All four of their children have been told to go back home go back to where they came from. I have heard it myself when picking the kids up, it was going on right by the full staff room. Not one teacher said a thing, when I marched in and complained the kids were just told to go play elsewhere.

Some aussies are fine, others are racist indeed, disturbing to see in children as one can only assume they get it from their parents
Old Sep 5th 2006, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by sinope
I think you need to think long and hard about the sort of education and influences you want your daughter exposed to. Britain is a wonderful country in many ways but IMO the education system sucks the big one and bullying is endemic even in better schools. As has been said already, if it was just you I would say go for it, but I don't think Britain is a good place to grow up right now. If you want more info on areas, house prices, schools etc, you are more than welcome to pm me (though I am no expert).
But the system in Australia is far worse - I should know as I worked in it. Australia excels in bullying in schools, and the standard of education is around 2 years behind the UK. One thing they do well in schools is more sport.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Just a quick note to say can we please get off the personal insults.

If I offended anyone with my posts, then I am sorry. It is a view, not aimed at any of you, but if that's the way its going to be I shall refrain from further posts on this thread.

Wherever you choose to live, I hope you are happy. I am not, so I am leaving. Everyone has their own decisions to make, and no one view is the right one.

If you dont wish to offend why the cesspit UK glorious Sydney logo under your name. Sydney has glorious areas, if you have a glorious wallet to go with them it also has some of the worst cesspit areas I have ever seen, drive through some at 2 am.

Same goes for UK, glorious areas and cesspits too.

After youve lived in both countries a substatial time you will probably see that too.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Mike, you need to swap round that last full-stop and apostrophe.
Maybe he's American, in which case it would be legitimate. The international use is also as per MikeStanton's post. But it's not British.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

hiya, a great location is sth west of london. our home is close to cobham surrey near the surrey hills. lots of american folk in cobham and surrounding villages due to the american school situated in cobham also an 'american women of surrey' branch operates in the surrounding villages. i'm a trubrit and my hubs is a usc and he lived for 18 yrs in the uk and loved it so much he looks forward to moving back there when finished with this ugly metropolis. the village we live in is on the waterloo guildford train line and so just 40mins from waterloo and great for the waterloo eurostar link to paris et all.... good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.