Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:28 am
Just Joined

decca will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Originally Posted by London7
Ignore this, absolute rubbish.
Try Yorkshire, fantastic friendly, down to earth people,housing is reasonable too, and there is lovely countryside, and of course York and Harrogate which are beautiful.
English judgemental? Dont know what planet you are from, but since living in Canada i have never been prouder to be British, we are the fairest , most non judgemental country in the world, with great humour and great depth of charcater, so up yours! Interesting that you stayed 14 years in a place you didnt like??
ps and we love americans, so go for it!
Totally agree with you, why has she lived for 14 years in a country she hates, I too am proud to br British and think they have the best armed services in the world, they have the best tradesmen, they are taught properly there, Harrogate is one of my favourite places, who can beat Betty's tea rooms
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by decca
Totally agree with you, why has she lived for 14 years in a country she hates, I too am proud to br British and think they have the best armed services in the world, they have the best tradesmen, they are taught properly there, Harrogate is one of my favourite places, who can beat Betty's tea rooms
Not everyone's reasons are transparent - for instance I know I am likely to spend the rest of my life in Queensland - I don't particularly like it, but I love my husband, and its his home. So I will stay here.
I am however proud to be Brisitsh, while living in exile.

BTW - Harrogate is fab; home of my ex, and I spent very happy times there. Betty's was one of the place he took me to - stunning cakes!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 10:06 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Polly...did you ban iamthecreaturefromuranus? i love that name...wonder why he called himself that...does he think he is poo!!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 10:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Polly...did you ban iamthecreaturefromuranus? i love that name...wonder why he called himself that...does he think he is poo!!
He received a temporary ban, which has now expired, for repeated abusive comments.
He has apologised, and the matter is now closed, so can we let it drop please
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

susiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the rough

hi

as someone that grew up in devon i can safley say how horrible it is there when you are young (really youung kids oits perfect, but as you get older its a hell hole). also work is quite hard to get there. there is just nothing to do in the countryside.

mind, my goal is to move to wales lol.

the uk is now rediculasly expensive and its hard to afford to get a foot on the ladder there. loan rates are huge also, and difficult to get if you have just moved to a country.

also, i know (wen i breifly looked into moving to usa that being a single parent its near imposible to get a green card even if you have the qualifications etc.). i don('t know if its the same vis versa.

good luck, you don't know if you don't ttry. and if it didn't work, then you could always move back to the usa. you many regret it if you don't

susi
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by krizzy
The Cape is a lovely place very quiet... thats why I also love central Florida its not quiet so I have the best of both worlds...I don't know a lot about Oz....just what my best mate tells me...he's lived there 20 years or so....

Road trips are great in the US...we also went to Canada on one road trip ...it give me the idea to live there for a while...but after looking into it...it was really not for us... I have family in Canada so we can pop up there if we want too..
I think you have settled now it does take some time.I do know where I want to be but it will take time to go back.I have 2 sons that woudn't live in the uk and 2 others that would so we havea divided family and I think this can happen to anyone,Come the end of the day your children will move on and live there lives,and I honestly think I should live mine.
is Canada very diferent from the US?I know someone that lived in Canada for16 years she went back to UK and although she never said anything bad about Canada she said she would never live there again she prefared UK.She also left behind her daughter and granddaughter.I wonder how many people rnd up doing something like this after emigrating in the first place.
I also haven't been on the net for a while we had some connection problems
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:43 pm
Banned

Bossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
Twoddle !!! We aren't allowed to shout about it or complain anymore. PC gone made here in the UK, and we have to watch everything we say in case someone overhears and is offended.

I don't hate the UK. I disagree with a lot of things, as there is in every Country, but I think after reading many, many threads about the same thing, it seems a lot of comments regarding foreigners and immigrants comes down to an overall feeling of................."When in Rome, do as the Romans Do". In most Countries this applies, yet in the UK, we have to change our rules and laws to fit around those coming here to make them feel more comfortable. People WILL argue my point about this but I have felt it personally.

My son (6 at the time) was playing at school with his best friend who was south African. They were chatting on the bench after lunchtime about chocolate they liked, milk chocolate, white chocolate, dark etc. The following day myself and husband were called in for a 'Meeting' with the Headmaster, the Deputy Head, the Secretary and someone from the Education Authority complaints department. We were told my son would be suspended from school pending an investigation into his "RACIST COMMENTS". :scared: It turned out in the end (by witness of a Dinner lady on duty in the playground), that a Somali girl who was 3 years older, overheard my son's conversation with his friend and complained that they were talking about colours of people and what they did and didn't like Of course my son and his friend being only 6 were not believed and the 9 year old Somali girl, who spoke NO English and relayed this complaint through her father, WAS believed and hence my son has that complaint on his school record for good, even though it was resolved and he was not suspended. Now whatever school he goes to (we changed a few months ago) I was asked if my son had racial issues ????? :scared:

My daughter had a similar incident, where she asked her classmate why she was 'brown' and her mum was white (a reasonable question in the eyes of a child), which threw up confusion for the little black girl who asked her mum, who in turn complained to the school. Again, same procedure for her too (and she was only 5). These incidents legally now, have to be investigated and recorded.

My kids didn't know what racist meant, and now I've had to explain to them that they are not allowed to talk about people's colours.

I'm not racist and I just think that if some of the immigrants here were willing to take on a bit more of OUR culture, instead of forcing theirs on us, Brits might be a little more accepting of them and the controversies they cause. PC gone demented from our Government means we can no longer be truly free with our speech. We are no longer allowed to advertise Pork on TV for offending Muslims ! (Just an example) (See Roman quote above) For anyone who says this doesn't happen, live in a major multi-cultural UK city with children and see what it throws up

All Countries have their problems, whether it be saying 'hello Love' or 'have a nice day', whatever it is someone will have a problem with it. I personally find being called 'love' by a 17 yr old in the supermarket very patronising.

I love parts of the UK and I love parts of Australia. I found generally Australians to be very polite and helpful. I have come accross the odd one or two that were not, but that's to be expected. When we lived in Australia we lived as an Australian would and never expected anything else. It so annoys me when people want to emmigrate from their 'Crap' Country then try to change their 'new' Country to match their old one (Se Roman Quote above)

superb post
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
That's absolutely awful. Whereabouts in Oz was it?
Rockhampton QLD. sorry it took so long to reply internet playing up again