Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:35 am
Just Joined

lizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to alllizajeanoz is a name known to all
Default Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Hello (new here)
I'm an American, who has been living in Australia for the last 5 years. I'm in the process of moving back to the U.S., (following a marriage ending - and family there, blah, blah), but having a very difficult time coming to terms with going back to the U.S. I have always had a desire/dream/fascination with living in the countryside of England, and keep thinking maybe I should head there instead. I have a daughter, 8, who's coming with me. There's a lot a like about Australia, but after 5 years, just tired of living so far away from everywhere else I'ld like to experience. I have grown sons that live on the east coast of the U.S., so the U.K., is pretty convenient.

Is it recommended/difficult/impossible/mad for a single mother in her (late) 40's to live happily, educate her child well, and get the occasional date in the english countryside is the question I am asking?

Thank you for your input and honesty!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Originally Posted by lizajeanoz
Hello (new here)
I'm an American, who has been living in Australia for the last 5 years. I'm in the process of moving back to the U.S., (following a marriage ending - and family there, blah, blah), but having a very difficult time coming to terms with going back to the U.S. I have always had a desire/dream/fascination with living in the countryside of England, and keep thinking maybe I should head there instead. I have a daughter, 8, who's coming with me. There's a lot a like about Australia, but after 5 years, just tired of living so far away from everywhere else I'ld like to experience. I have grown sons that live on the east coast of the U.S., so the U.K., is pretty convenient.

Is it recommended/difficult/impossible/mad for a single mother in her (late) 40's to live happily, educate her child well, and get the occasional date in the english countryside is the question I am asking?

I have no idea how easy or hard it would be for you to get a visa to live in the UK. If you repost this on the "moving back to the UK" forum, there are loads of Americans living in the Uk who post there who can probably help more.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello (new here)

Not sure what advice i could give, even though i am in a similiar postion to you, (single mother mid 40's) but hey just think of it as an adventure. As for what England is like its really a matter of opinion and you'll find lots of posters on here with varying views. Just wish you luck in what ever you decide.

regards

lolly
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

Yes, you are mad. It sounds like a romantic idea. Unless you have a fair amount of cash, you are not likely to be able to afford a nice (expensive) cottage in the countryside, and the cities are dismal. If your 8 year old daughter goes to one of the many state schools in the suburbs, she is likely to be bullied and teased about her accent after the initial fascination wears off. The English are not as accepting of foreigners as the Aussies and kids can be cruel. Sorry if I have offended anyone, this is what I have experienced to be true, but maybe you will be one of the lucky few. The reality of living in the UK is very different to the romantic view portrayed in story books.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lollyno1
Not sure what advice i could give, even though i am in a similiar postion to you, (single mother mid 40's) but hey just think of it as an adventure. As for what England is like its really a matter of opinion and you'll find lots of posters on here with varying views. Just wish you luck in what ever you decide.

regards

lolly
I don't think your mad to want to go and give it ago.My son is an Aussie and prefers uk to here.Like everywhere it will depend on where you live and your expectations.All of my Aussie children were the better for it. Good luck with it all
by the sea side
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mackinnon
What a pile of sh*t.
I knew I'd push someones buttons. Too easy.

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 31st 2006 at 9:24 am.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:35 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello (new here)

Hello there,

Have you read any of Billy Bryson's books? It would be good to read about another American's views on Britain, why he moved back to the U.S., and then back to the U.K. again, to the Yorkshire countryside.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:38 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossfive5
I knew I'd push someones buttons. Too easy.
Nothing to do with pushing buttons mate, for a long time on this forum I've pussy-footed round a lot of posts, but bored with that now. I expect that's what you are doing too.

Besides, when I saw the location under your avatar, I knew you had to be jesting about the U.K. being sh*t

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 31st 2006 at 9:25 am. Reason: language
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Hello (new here)

No you're not mad. I think the UK is a pretty good place to live. We didn't leave it because we thought it was rubbish. We fancied a new experience of living elsewhere for a while.

Have you got any area's in mind yet?
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Hello (new here)

You need serious money behind you. If you have a nice home here you will be shocked at how little those dollars will buy you in the UK. Then there is that minor detail of the weather.

It completely depends on your circumstances, how much capital you will have to take with you, what you do for a living, where you plan on living in the UK and so on. There are advantages and disadvantages to everywhere.

Get some good advice, do lots of research and if at all possible do a reccie before committing. There are an awful lot of us that are going to or have gone to great lengths to get to Oz. Speaks for itself really.

Sue
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Nothing to do with pushing buttons mate, for a long time on this forum I've pussy-footed round a lot of posts, but bored with that now. I expect that's what you are doing too.

Besides, when I saw the location under your avatar, I knew you had to be jesting about the U.K. being shit
Yes, I'm having one of those days too. Fed up of only saying the nice things. Actually I don't hate the UK. I happen to think the countryside is stunningly beautiful. But why live there? My advice is to go there for a nice long holiday, maybe a working holiday, even better, working from home. I would say go for it if it did not include the kid.

Last edited by rossfive5; Aug 31st 2006 at 7:54 am.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:08 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Hey 600,000 eastern europeans cant be wrong
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suebrennan
You need serious money behind you. If you have a nice home here you will be shocked at how little those dollars will buy you in the UK. Then there is that minor detail of the weather.

It completely depends on your circumstances, how much capital you will have to take with you, what you do for a living, where you plan on living in the UK and so on. There are advantages and disadvantages to everywhere.

Get some good advice, do lots of research and if at all possible do a reccie before committing. There are an awful lot of us that are going to or have gone to great lengths to get to Oz. Speaks for itself really.

Sue
That's how I meant to word it. Don't rush into it, especialy as it also involves your child.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

Ive lived in London for the past 14 years -irish born. The english countryside would be a lovely place to live but with a drawback - the english themselves. They are the most withdrawn, judgmental, strange group of people I have ever met - after the lovely happy friendly Australians you are used to I think you would find it hard settling in England.
Louise
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Ive lived in London for the past 14 years -irish born. The english countryside would be a lovely place to live but with a drawback - the english themselves. They are the most withdrawn, judgmental, strange group of people I have ever met - after the lovely happy friendly Australians you are used to I think you would find it hard settling in England.
Louise

If i was from the USA and wanting to live in the UK to experience country cottages etc I'd head for wales..... rather than England.
You can get much closer to the romantic ideal there than you can in the British countryside (too expensive!) and you'll have more of a chance of being near the beach and the mountains... Try North Wales.

The locals can be a little "anti-English" but it's mostly harmless fun rather than bullying. I'm not sure how they (oh generalisation crazy) feel about Americans!

As for immigration... I've no idea... Sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.