Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Who rattled your cage ?

Sticks and stones......

If you've got nothing better than name calling, I suggest you just keep a lid on it.

Look who's talking!

Your profile shows you calling one of the greatest cities on earth a 'cesspit'...
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Ive lived in London for the past 14 years -irish born. The english countryside would be a lovely place to live but with a drawback - the english themselves. They are the most withdrawn, judgmental, strange group of people I have ever met - after the lovely happy friendly Australians you are used to I think you would find it hard settling in England.
Louise

Ignore this, absolute rubbish.
Try Yorkshire, fantastic friendly, down to earth people,housing is reasonable too, and there is lovely countryside, and of course York and Harrogate which are beautiful.
English judgemental? Dont know what planet you are from, but since living in Canada i have never been prouder to be British, we are the fairest , most non judgemental country in the world, with great humour and great depth of charcater, so up yours! Interesting that you stayed 14 years in a place you didnt like??
ps and we love americans, so go for it!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:17 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
....Most of Sydney qualifies it as the second most ugly, superficial, boring city in the world, losing out narrowly to the mighty paradise of Perth......
hey, that's not fair......Melbourne didn't get a mention!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

wallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant future

Personally speaking I think the British are very accepting of immigrants. I was on Oxford street yesterday and London has to be one of the most multicultural cities in the world. People of all different nationalities going about their day without any worries of racial hatred.
England is a fantastic country and most of the people are very friendly. O.K. we don't bid everyone to 'Hve a nice day' because lets be honest, it sounds so false and unBritish to say such things. If you are concerned about being 40 something with a daughter I would not worry. There are so many different kinds of family in this world today that if anyone did batter an eyelid, they would probably have just come out of a coma from 1959!
I say try it, you really don;t have anything to lose. after all, look at Madonna!!! There is a prime example of a 40 something single mum who has settled well into the country and even bagged herself a nice chap!!!
Whatever you decide, I really think Britain is a fantastic country!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:14 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wallabyWannabe
I say try it, you really don;t have anything to lose. after all, look at Madonna!!! There is a prime example of a 40 something single mum who has settled well into the country and even bagged herself a nice chap!!!
Whatever you decide, I really think Britain is a fantastic country!
She still keeps a place in the US though, and spends plenty of time there also...not really a good example being as how she's a multi-millionaress with very few of the worries of us common folk.....
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:24 pm
Banned

Imveryconfused is an unknown quantity at this point

Britain is just another country. You cannot say that all countries are the same, but most developed countries all have the same problems. Parts of Britain are nice, and parts are horrid, but city living is always more expensive. However, just like in America, where there is white flight to the suburbs, in England there is flight to the countryside, so prices are going up there too. If you are moving to England to live this fantasy life in the countryside that you saw in a Jane Austen movie, then you need to come back to reality.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I have always enjoyed about this forum and the USA forum is the sensible, intelligent and well balanced approach by users of the forum. Calling a spade a spade and not just saying a negative because you dont no better, but you think you do. There are some who have joined this forum that should be ashamed of themselves, Britain for all its faults is our homeland. It it precisely because of the upbringing we have enjoyed that we have the freedom of speech and movement that we have. That comes with it a responsibility which it seems some abuse. For those that have nothing but negative to say I ask are you proud of your comments? How does it make you feel that an American lady who is asking about living in your homeland seems more proud of the chance of living there than you. I ask why do you feel a need to p*ss on someone elses parade. If you dont like the UK either make yourself proactive in the change or move out. You all seem to like moaning about immigrants and yet you want to live somewhere else as an immigrant and hope everyones nice to you! I am normally someone that shy's away from any type of argument on these forums however I feel enough of you. I cant stand the stupidness. It comes to something when I have to log on to the Yankee forum to hear people being nice about my homeland.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Brilliant post.
the post is a disgrace.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:52 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Am I MAD To Want to Move To The U.K.?

Originally Posted by banjo
hey, that's not fair......Melbourne didn't get a mention!
Sorry dude. Melbourne takes the bronze. I went there for a 4 day visit. Another Aussie city full of skyscrapers and coffee bars. They're so interesting aren't they?

I would have had more fun being stuck in a lift.

Last edited by Eric Hitchmo; Aug 31st 2006 at 8:59 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
Just what I would expect from the rudest and most bitter man on BE.
I take that as a compliment from one so ill-informed. I see what you mean about English education; please try and remember that it's 'bitterest', not 'most bitter.'

Tut, tut...
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
I take that as a compliment from one so ill-informed. I see what you mean about English education; please try and remember that it's 'bitterest', not 'most bitter.'

Tut, tut...
Mike, you need to swap round that last full-stop and apostrophe.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:24 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

The OP started a legitimate post asking for thoughts and instead of informative, constructive answers we are all having a go at each other. Can we please get back to the topic at hand ..... and show how kind and helpful we British are supposed to be by answering the OP's question.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Mike, you need to swap round that last full-stop and apostrophe.
Whoops!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:53 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizajeanoz
Hello (new here)
I'm an American, who has been living in Australia for the last 5 years. I'm in the process of moving back to the U.S., (following a marriage ending - and family there, blah, blah), but having a very difficult time coming to terms with going back to the U.S. I have always had a desire/dream/fascination with living in the countryside of England, and keep thinking maybe I should head there instead. I have a daughter, 8, who's coming with me. There's a lot a like about Australia, but after 5 years, just tired of living so far away from everywhere else I'ld like to experience. I have grown sons that live on the east coast of the U.S., so the U.K., is pretty convenient.

Is it recommended/difficult/impossible/mad for a single mother in her (late) 40's to live happily, educate her child well, and get the occasional date in the english countryside is the question I am asking?

Thank you for your input and honesty!
Britain - the founder of modern democracy, invented just about everything of use in the modern era, awash with humour, creativity, history, tolerance, beautiful countryside, opportunity, close to the european mainland and a very desirable place to live.

Australia - Coffee bars, barbeques....errrm....

Seriously, give it a go. You won't regret it. Just come here with an open mind. The money situtation depends on what you do - you'd need to do some research into what you can expect to be paid. Personally I'm a lot better off financially here, but it depends on what you do I guess. All the best anyway.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:17 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Britain - the founder of modern democracy, invented just about everything of use in the modern era, awash with humour, creativity, history, tolerance, beautiful countryside, opportunity, close to the european mainland and a very desirable place to live.

Australia - Coffee bars, barbeques....errrm....

Seriously, give it a go. You won't regret it. Just come here with an open mind. The money situtation depends on what you do - you'd need to do some research into what you can expect to be paid. Personally I'm a lot better off financially here, but it depends on what you do I guess. All the best anyway.
Maybe the modern day Britain is like this, but up until Victorian times we pretty much stamped our way around the world killing anyone that opposed our "colonies"...... :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.