British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Allowed to take food back to Britain ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/allowed-take-food-back-britain-837381/)

brissybee Jun 26th 2014 6:30 am

Allowed to take food back to Britain ?

There are a few packaged and supermarket/commercially available food products I'd like to take back to the UK from Australia.

Packet type stuff such as Easy Mac, Maggi gravy/meal bases, twisties, Mi Goreng noodles etc.

I have experienced Australia being very strict about what can be brought in... Can anyone please advise if any of these types of things could be a problem going into England?

mikelincs Jun 26th 2014 7:37 am

Re: Allowed to take food back to Britain ?

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 11315704)
There are a few packaged and supermarket/commercially available food products I'd like to take back to the UK from Australia.

Packet type stuff such as Easy Mac, Maggi gravy/meal bases, twisties, Mi Goreng noodles etc.

I have experienced Australia being very strict about what can be brought in... Can anyone please advise if any of these types of things could be a problem going into England?

Maggi, Easy Mac and mi goreng are available in the UK, twisties are not, so the first three should be no problem, twisties has been the subject of a campaign to get them into the UK, but no sucess as yet.

brissybee Jun 26th 2014 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11315748)
Maggi, Easy Mac and mi goreng are available in the UK, twisties are not, so the first three should be no problem, twisties has been the subject of a campaign to get them into the UK, but no sucess as yet.

Thankyou for your answer. That's one less thing to think about then.

spouse of scouse Jun 26th 2014 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 11315704)

My dear old Mum wanted to send my equally dear old Aunt one of her fruit cakes, so I packed it in my carry-on bag and didn't have a problem (Perth - Manchester) :starsmile:

Pollyana Jun 26th 2014 5:13 pm

Don't take any fresh food - meat, dairy stuff, fish, fruit and veg. Everything else is fine.

Many Aussie backpackers working in pubs can be bribed by offers of a pack of Twisties by the way, had several free pints over the years by producing a pack at the right moment!

brissybee Jun 27th 2014 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11316187)
Don't take any fresh food - meat, dairy stuff, fish, fruit and veg. Everything else is fine.

Many Aussie backpackers working in pubs can be bribed by offers of a pack of Twisties by the way, had several free pints over the years by producing a pack at the right moment!

My sister in law is a chef and is catering for us when we first arrive. All she has asked for is Twisties!!

Vadio Jul 2nd 2014 4:19 pm

I've brought many different things from the US; packaged food is generally not an issue. I've brought spices with no problems (things like Old Bay seasoning, which is not available in the UK) and buttermilk powder, among others.

As was stated by Pollyana, meat or meat products are a no-no as are any fresh items (fruit, vegetables etc.).