5 Years On

Old Nov 16th 2015, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Years On

Originally Posted by not2old
I suppose this is one way to keep the declining Bute population up, then again, maybe once they get their 'UK residence cards' together with the rest of the benefits paraphernalia, the Bute winters may send them to the warmer populated places of the UK?

Will the refugees integrate into Scottish life, even go to the United Church gatherings, or have their first mosque?
I suppose they could move on. But I suspect that how they are welcomed may have a lot to do with whether they stay or not.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Not much employment on the island, which is Reason Number One for depopulation. The Navy used to have a presence here. Agriculture used to be a big employer, but all that food is now sourced from the mainland
Old Nov 17th 2015, 9:53 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this too and thought of scot47. Also had a look at the island and thought 'right, that's a place I can go if I ever decide to move.' It looks beautiful and housing is so cheap compared to here!
Old Nov 17th 2015, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Housing to rent - both private and housing association.Housing to buy - both flats and houses.Low prices. Genuine bargains to be had. Come and have a look. Note that Scottish Housing Law is different to English. For example there is no leasehold. PLEASE use a Scottish solicitor when buying and DO NOT rely on an English Estate Agent. They will get it wrong !
Old Dec 27th 2015, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Bute has competition!

‘This place just seeps into your soul’: the tiny Scottish island that wants you to call it home | UK news | The Guardian
Old Dec 27th 2015, 7:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It looks lovely!
Old Dec 27th 2015, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Similar problems. Loss of population. No jobs. Increase in number of second homes. A Local Authority that is not fit for purpose. Incomers who want others to do things their way - the only way.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
Similar problems. Loss of population. No jobs. Increase in number of second homes. A Local Authority that is not fit for purpose. Incomers who want others to do things their way - the only way.
Are you speaking of Bute also in this regard? I though you were trying to encourage others to take up residence there.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Depends on my mood.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 5:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on my mood.
likely tied in with how dismal the weather is at that time
Old Dec 28th 2015, 5:24 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

When in Rome

Have you found in the time that you have lived on Bute, that its best to just 'go with the flow' for the reason, there is 'no way in hell' (no matter how hard you try) that one single person can make a difference to change anything for the better, because the locals will always have it 'their way'?
Old Dec 31st 2015, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is easier to bend with the wind. I do like it here but winter can be a bit depressing.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some other islands are less welcoming to refugees
Jersey refugee ban: Syrian migrant debate divides Channel Island tax haven
Old May 12th 2016, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just had two visits to hospital. After the first I changed my name to Scot Nine Toes. Amputation of big toe due to infection of the bone (Osteomyelitis). Two days after discharge I had a hard attack and had to be readmitted.

Vae mihi !

Determined to keep going until I reach three score and ten in 2017 ! And then for a bit more. Life is sweet. Getting old is tough but it is better than the alternative.

Last edited by scot47; May 12th 2016 at 1:05 pm.
Old May 12th 2016, 1:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just had two visits to hospital. After the first I changed my name to Scot Nine Toes. Amputation of big toe due to infection of the bone (Osteomyelitis). Two days after discharge I had a hard attack and had to be readmitted.

Vae mihi !

Determined to keep going until I reach three score and ten in 2017 ! And then for a bit more. Life is sweet. Getting old is tough but it is better than the alternative.
Oh noes...you have been through the mill haven't you? Lots of good vibes coming your way for a speedy recovery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.