5 Years On

Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Years On

Yes, but we intend doing lots of traveling in semi-retirement.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Having spent years as a pedagogical nomad I am happy to spend my time in one place - and on terra firma. Travel is over-rated, whether by plane or car. A day-trip to Greenock is sometimes too stressful for me !
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Not for us. After 20 years in the U.S. we intend spending our semi retirement visiting Europe for the art, culture, restaurants.

Each to his own though.
Old May 23rd 2015, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Showing guests around the island today on a glorious summer's day, I was reminded how fortunate I have been to find this place ! I may not feel that way in January though !

Housing is still available here - work is the problem. After years of practice I have at last learned how to avoid it. The word is RETIREMENT !
Old May 23rd 2015, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Scot, the only thing stopping us from looking into it more is the lack of high speed internet. Other than that, we are not worried about work. We could both retire if we could live somewhere where the cost of living was lower. As it stands right now, OH will retire but I will have to continue working. Of course, I think the winters might be a problem too, but nothing we couldn't get over in time.
Old May 24th 2015, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Internet speed has been a problem. BT are supposedly "fixing it"

On the climate it is not COLD in the winter - just damp, and dark.
Old May 25th 2015, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Internet speed has been a problem. BT are supposedly "fixing it"

On the climate it is not COLD in the winter - just damp, and dark.
I can do damp and dark - cold is a little more difficult for me. Let me know when BT "fixes it," will you?
Old May 26th 2015, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We may be looking at Astronomical Time rather than Greenwich. Promised for Summer 2015, but I have no faith in Telephone-wallahs, especially the ones from Bangalore Telecom.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We now have fibre-optic and high speed broadband. It does seem better than it was. Outlying areas are still not covered.
On Friday I was looking at two display apartments that belong to the local Housing Association. Very central, overlooking the Castle, with great central heating. As a result of depopulation, there is still vacant housing stock on the island.The Housing Association (Fyne Homes) does not insist on a local connection from applicants. Nor do they require an oath of poverty. Even rich folk can apply !There are much worse places to live !

Last edited by scot47; Oct 3rd 2015 at 4:43 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

We now have fibre-optic and high speed broadband. It does seem better than it was. Outlying areas are still not covered.
On Friday I was looking at two display apartments that belong to the local Housing Association. Very central, overlooking the Castle, with great central heating. As a result of depopulation, there is still vacant housing stock on the island.The Housing Association (Fyne Homes) does not insist on a local connection from applicants. Nor do they require an oath of poverty. Even rich folk can apply !There are much worse places to live !
So what is considered the outlying areas? And would the central areas you reference have high speed? Links to the display apartments?
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Rothesay is the main town. Fibre optic throughout the town. If you go to the more rural parts to the South or North - poor broadband links and sometimes no mobile coverage.Life on a Scottish island is not for everyone. Visit and get the feel, preferably in January, before you do anything rash !
And note that there is now no right to buy under Scottish Housing Law.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's certainly something to think about for when we eventually get there. Thanks for keeping us informed.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 8:10 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Having spent years as a pedagogical nomad I am happy to spend my time in one place - and on terra firma. Travel is over-rated, whether by plane or car. A day-trip to Greenock is sometimes too stressful for me !
I'm with you. When we moved back, I said the same as Hotscot. I was planning to go all over Europe and see all the things I've been missing.

But a funny thing happened once I got home to Yorkshire ... I couldn't leave! I did spend a week in Oxford and the Cotswolds earlier this year, but that's the end of holidays for me for the forseeable future. I found Oxford too crowded, and the Cotswolds were just a bit of a let-down. I have nicer scenery outside my front door. That's when I realized that after so many years of travelling and living abroad, all I want now is roots. I plan to stay here in my little village until the roots are so deep a whole army couldn't prise me out!
Old Oct 4th 2015, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I'm with you. When we moved back, I said the same as Hotscot. I was planning to go all over Europe and see all the things I've been missing. But a funny thing happened once I got home to Yorkshire ... I couldn't leave! I did spend a week in Oxford and the Cotswolds earlier this year, but that's the end of holidays for me for the forseeable future. I found Oxford too crowded, and the Cotswolds were just a bit of a let-down. I have nicer scenery outside my front door. That's when I realized that after so many years of travelling and living abroad, all I want now is roots. I plan to stay here in my little village until the roots are so deep a whole army couldn't prise me out!
Your thread to me sounds like pure contentment with your "lot", some people search their whole lives for that, lovely reading someone has found it. All the best and a lovely read thank you.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brits1
Your thread to me sounds like pure contentment with your "lot", some people search their whole lives for that, lovely reading someone has found it. All the best and a lovely read thank you.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.