British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   30 problems only British people will understand. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/30-problems-only-british-people-will-understand-833136/)

Bud the Wiser May 6th 2014 12:08 am

30 problems only British people will understand.

Some are a bit weird, but there's a few I can relate to............

http://m.tickld.com/x/30-problems-on...ill-understand

Sally Redux May 6th 2014 12:11 am

Re: 30 problems only British people will understand.

Just did No. 25 :lol:

Nearly all of them, except I didn't understand the one about the hand-dryer.

Pollyana May 6th 2014 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11247528)

Yep, most of them sound like me :D

Snap Shot May 6th 2014 1:19 am

Excellent !

The first one was fantastic.

I could relate to nearly all the rest.

Editha May 6th 2014 5:11 am

Only 5 out of 30, so obviously I'm weirdly assertive for a Brit. But I knew this already. It comes from having had an infuriating father who seemed to think he might be sent before the magistrates for ignoring a 'Don't walk on the grass' sign.

quoll May 6th 2014 5:17 am

Erm, nope, not too many! Must be having spent half a lifetime in Australia.

cappuccino May 6th 2014 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11247528)

I think they missed a few words off - something to do with pressurising the person currently using the dryer maybe?

scot47 May 6th 2014 9:54 am

None of them, but then I am Caledonjan who has spent most of his life in Africa, Arabee and the Balkans.

Sally Redux May 6th 2014 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 11247757)
I think they missed a few words off - something to do with pressurising the person currently using the dryer maybe?

:lightbulb: that could be it.

Persephone May 6th 2014 8:02 pm

That is depressingly like me:ohmy:

No. 4 - so many times

And no.1- I am so bad with names. If in a situation where I can't avoid introducing people I don't do it and hope they'll do it themselves. Or more usually, I run away;)

No. 10 - I have varied my walking route many times

BristolUK May 7th 2014 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 11248914)
No. 10 - I have varied my walking route many times

Back in Bristol I used to look out of my window before leaving to go the shop to see if that annoying bloke from over the road and down a bit was outside his house.

On the way back I used to bury my head in the newspaper or whatever I could be reading so as not to see him.

Number 14....In Greece once I was prepared to go a bus stop too far as I didn't want to make a move to get off where I'd like for fear of standing there like an idiot if he drove by. There was nothing to indicate a bus stop although I had previously seen it stop there.

Luckily someone else made the move and I got off across the street from my hotel. :o

Persephone May 7th 2014 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11249285)
Back in Bristol I used to look out of my window before leaving to go the shop to see if that annoying bloke from over the road and down a bit was outside his house.

On the way back I used to bury my head in the newspaper or whatever I could be reading so as not to see him.

o

Maybe it's something to do with Bristol. When I lived there I used to try and avoid the strange man down the road who used to stop me to talk at length about his collection of broken watches. Unfortunately the layout meant he could easily ambush people innocently walking past:eek:
And of course, being British, I couldn't just make an excuse and leave. I'd be there forever trying to make a getaway:lol:

DJElectricDaddy May 7th 2014 6:28 pm

I always thought I was so…individual…now it turns out I’m nothing more than a clone from some master race :)

brilliant

Sally Redux May 7th 2014 7:24 pm

Back from the shops, I thought of this list but still couldn't resist putting the items on the counter sand saying, "Just these, please." :lol:

rebs May 8th 2014 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11250743)
Back from the shops, I thought of this list but still couldn't resist putting the items on the counter sand saying, "Just these, please." :lol:

:rofl:

I thought of this thread yesterday, too... I'd ordered a bunch of dresses from Monsoon online and was returning the ones I didn't want to keep (about 7 dresses).

The system to return them was a shambles - they had to process each dress refund individually and some prices had changed and it was all very complex... the assistants (being British) kept apologising for how long it was taking and I (also being British) kept apologising for causing so much trouble :D