13 months in - struggling

Old Nov 21st 2020, 10:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 13 months in - struggling

Originally Posted by scot47
Rain is better than the sub-zero temperatures I endured in The Balkans, or the freezing cold in Northern Germany ! I hated the winter in Berlin !
I really dislike the cold Scot...25C is more my cup of tea. I also dislike dark, gloomy, wet days. At least here the sky is usually blue and the sun is shining most days. We often have to put the AC on in our south facing condo, even when it’s -30C outside.
Old Nov 21st 2020, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose we all must learn to adapt to the place we live in.What amuses me greatly is when I get talking to my siblings,one of them is married to an Aussie & has previously lived in Israel.But they all now live in southern England.Two days without rain & they rush out with the watering can in case the flowers wilt!
Old Mar 24th 2021, 7:41 am
Just Joined

JerseyRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for posting this and sorry to hear you’re struggling. Unfortunately, I have little constructive to add but like you, also felt the need to get down how hard I’m finding to adjust moving back now the novelty has worn off, so hope you don’t mind me jumping on. I spend each day wondering “what have I done?” and worrying that I may never get back. Will of course give it some time, but feeling so lost. There are so many reasons, but like you say, the grey/wet days are such a trigger.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JerseyRoyal
Thank you for posting this and sorry to hear you’re struggling. Unfortunately, I have little constructive to add but like you, also felt the need to get down how hard I’m finding to adjust moving back now the novelty has worn off, so hope you don’t mind me jumping on. I spend each day wondering “what have I done?” and worrying that I may never get back. Will of course give it some time, but feeling so lost. There are so many reasons, but like you say, the grey/wet days are such a trigger.
You only moved to L A in 2019.... have you moved back to the UK already?
Old Mar 24th 2021, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Walmsc is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear you are not feeling great. We are aiming home this year and I an beginning to wonder If anyone truly feels settled again once they have lived in more than one place? :-(
Old Mar 24th 2021, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Those of us who have been moving around perhaps,as you say,never do feel settled.I certainly have never felt"well this is it".But I do believe it is good
to have had experience of life in different places, as I have.,You enjoy the opportunity of learning about other cultures.Recently I asked a Romanian man how his life had been living under Soviet rules & now being in the EU as a comparison.Also a German friend of my age group related her experience of the Nazi regime in the 1940,s & a French couple of their life in occupied France.It gives you often food for thought.Much better,I think,than being born,growing up & dying in one spot & perhaps believing that there is nothing beyond your country´s border.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 8:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
Those of us who have been moving around perhaps,as you say,never do feel settled.I certainly have never felt"well this is it".But I do believe it is good
to have had experience of life in different places, as I have.,You enjoy the opportunity of learning about other cultures.Recently I asked a Romanian man how his life had been living under Soviet rules & now being in the EU as a comparison.Also a German friend of my age group related her experience of the Nazi regime in the 1940,s & a French couple of their life in occupied France.It gives you often food for thought.Much better,I think,than being born,growing up & dying in one spot & perhaps believing that there is nothing beyond your country´s border.

This.

Perspective is all.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Walmsc is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely I agree 😁 although we are moving home, I will never regret coming away to Canada. There are things about both places we love and things we miss about home and I'm sure when home, things we will miss about here. So lucky to have had the option to try something different 😁
Old Mar 28th 2021, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I guess we're all different.

I lived in the north west of England for 3 years and absolutely loved the colder climate. Back in scorching Western Australia now and I share your dislike of bushfires, drought and pesky biting insects.

Interestingly, where I live (Perth) gets more rainfall per year than London. That's because on the relatively few days it does rain here, it absolutely pours. But oh those bracing cold winter days in the UK, I miss them!
We're having one of those days today, just walked our dog and it blew the cobwebs away lol, sun's out, but it's "fresh", I love days like today.
Old Mar 28th 2021, 1:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
We're having one of those days today, just walked our dog and it blew the cobwebs away lol, sun's out, but it's "fresh", I love days like today.
I can close my eyes and feel that lovely fresh wind on a sunny day. Nearly in the second month of autumn here and it's going to be 35c tomorrow - as a former Perthie you'll remember this I really enjoy reading your posts Brits and am so glad that your move back has been such a success.
Old Mar 28th 2021, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I can close my eyes and feel that lovely fresh wind on a sunny day. Nearly in the second month of autumn here and it's going to be 35c tomorrow - as a former Perthie you'll remember this I really enjoy reading your posts Brits and am so glad that your move back has been such a success.
We were watching euro news global weather yesterday and WA (Perth) was on the map and it was 36 still hot for that time of year....I remember really looking forward to the autumn as it was such a nice time, you could really enjoy the outdoors then and I looked forward to a return of green instead of brown. I am really pleased when I read your threads and you sound really happy being back with your family x