13 months in - struggling

Old Oct 30th 2020, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 13 months in - struggling

Originally Posted by Walmsc
Good morning
Where are you on the island? We are in Mill bay and planning to move 2021.
Have a great day 😁
We are on Bear Mountain in Langford. We planning on going in 2022 as soon as my son completes grade 12 otherwise we would be gone now.
Where are you heading back to?
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I too have found the constant heavy rainfall hard to deal with. And the grey winters with the long nights. Make a list of positives and negatives.. If there are too many negatives, time to move somewhere else.

For me, there are still some positives to living on a dreich and damp Scottish island. Sometimes the sun shines !
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Heading into what will be a long hard winter with Covid + Brexit to deal with. Austerity is going to get worse. These are "The Days of The Wolf" as my Slav friends say. (ie good days for the Wolf. Not so good for shepherds or sheep !)
Old Nov 4th 2020, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I too have found the constant heavy rainfall hard to deal with. And the grey winters with the long nights. Make a list of positives and negatives.. If there are too many negatives, time to move somewhere else.

For me, there are still some positives to living on a dreich and damp Scottish island. Sometimes the sun shines !
Sure it's still mild where you are. We had a really wet October with 168mm of rainfall in our part of Ireland and even Jersey Channel Islands recorded around 241mm this October. But then again the September was far better than last year and looking forward, the days will start to get longer in just over 7 weeks:-).

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 4th 2020 at 2:15 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone doubts climate change I can only say that after living in southern europe for 3 decades,this year is the oddest for weather.As it is rather going off topic I shall start a new thread & perhaps we can all comment on our area.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mainland Scotland is lovely and we have also visited the west coast Islands but we would never live there as the weather is to up and down for us (that's said by someone who lives in the peak District lol). For some weather is just as important as jobs and if that's the case then hopefully they will do their "homework" when relocating here and overseas.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

brits1,What then,if weather is more important than employment opportunity ,does my daughter do when her husband is relocated to Scotland(highlands)from sunny south coast of England with his job,especially nowadays?Should she tell him it doesn´t matter if he loses his job as she hasn´t any thermal underwear! Also what about people in the military.I was posted to some very different climates when I served in the RAF. Dearie me,I can just imagine the look on the Flight Sergeant´s face when a National Serviceman declined his posting.I do remember though one airman who had to have all his teeth removed as they were awful & there was no dentist on the camp he was sent to,I know it was on a Scottish Island.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 11:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
brits1,What then,if weather is more important than employment opportunity ,does my daughter do when her husband is relocated to Scotland(highlands)from sunny south coast of England with his job,especially nowadays?Should she tell him it doesn´t matter if he loses his job as she hasn´t any thermal underwear! Also what about people in the military.I was posted to some very different climates when I served in the RAF. Dearie me,I can just imagine the look on the Flight Sergeant´s face when a National Serviceman declined his posting.I do remember though one airman who had to have all his teeth removed as they were awful & there was no dentist on the camp he was sent to,I know it was on a Scottish Island.
But Brits said for some weather is just as important as jobs and was obviously talking about people who are free to choose where they'll live, not about people whose employers are relocating them.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I did not see it as"obvious" but perhaps I was wrong. Unfortunately if you live anywhere in the UK it is bound to be wet.Look at the areas that have had flooding over the years.It´s a feature of our island home.The weather where I live presently is hot most of the year but the drawbacks are drought,forest fires & those pesky biting insects,& this is in Europe.In any case I would be quite surprised if the 1st.consideration for deciding on a place to settle down,would be the weather.I live in a small town of about 20000 people,very multicultural & some 100 different nationalities on the town register.From what I have been told over 35 years here it is usually the lifestyle that brings them.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 3:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
I did not see it as"obvious" but perhaps I was wrong. Unfortunately if you live anywhere in the UK it is bound to be wet.Look at the areas that have had flooding over the years.It´s a feature of our island home.The weather where I live presently is hot most of the year but the drawbacks are drought,forest fires & those pesky biting insects,& this is in Europe.In any case I would be quite surprised if the 1st.consideration for deciding on a place to settle down,would be the weather.I live in a small town of about 20000 people,very multicultural & some 100 different nationalities on the town register.From what I have been told over 35 years here it is usually the lifestyle that brings them.
I guess we're all different.

I lived in the north west of England for 3 years and absolutely loved the colder climate. Back in scorching Western Australia now and I share your dislike of bushfires, drought and pesky biting insects.

Interestingly, where I live (Perth) gets more rainfall per year than London. That's because on the relatively few days it does rain here, it absolutely pours. But oh those bracing cold winter days in the UK, I miss them!
Old Nov 20th 2020, 5:42 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I guess we're all different.

I lived in the north west of England for 3 years and absolutely loved the colder climate. Back in scorching Western Australia now and I share your dislike of bushfires, drought and pesky biting insects.

Interestingly, where I live (Perth) gets more rainfall per year than London. That's because on the relatively few days it does rain here, it absolutely pours. But oh those bracing cold winter days in the UK, I miss them!
After living in Chicago, I think of English winters as very mild and would take the rain, wind, and occasional bit of frost any day of the week over the double-digit negative degree temps here in winter.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 5:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
After living in Chicago, I think of English winters as very mild and would take the rain, wind, and occasional bit of frost any day of the week over the double-digit negative degree temps here in winter.
I dunno...my ex SIL, born and bred in Toronto, maintains he has never been as cold as he was one December day, walking round the Albert Dock in Liverpool.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 5:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I dunno...my ex SIL, born and bred in Toronto, maintains he has never been as cold as he was one December day, walking round the Albert Dock in Liverpool.

There is something about the damp, true. As long as you can keep the wind out though and wear a warm layer under that it's totally manageable.

One of the coldest things was when we had to stay with people who didn't have central heating - the temperature of the beds was beyond belief cold
Old Nov 21st 2020, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Rain is better than the sub-zero temperatures I endured in The Balkans, or the freezing cold in Northern Germany ! I hated the winter in Berlin !
Old Nov 21st 2020, 10:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Rain is better than the sub-zero temperatures I endured in The Balkans, or the freezing cold in Northern Germany ! I hated the winter in Berlin !
I really dislike the cold Scot...25C is more my cup of tea. I also dislike dark, gloomy, wet days. At least here the sky is usually blue and the sun is shining most days. We often have to put the AC on in our condo, even when it’s -30C outside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.