*potentially* moving to the UK

Old Feb 8th 2014, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *potentially* moving to the UK

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A few thoughts.

- Bristol is an attractive city and underrated IMO.

- A Maltese and Canadian passport means you can vote in all elections: local, national and European, which is nice.

- Bristol does indeed have its own airport but it doesn't fly to too many destinations. However Bristol is at one end of the Great Western Railway so you could get from Bristol to London Heathrow in two hours.

- Likewise London is less than two hours away.
Thanks... Didn't know about that election thing... I guess thats because Canada is part of the commonwealth, ? (Malta is too though) I have checked and it looks like I can fly Bristol to Toronto via Amsterdam for just as cheap as a flight from LHR-Toronto for when I go to Canada to visit my family and friends. To get to Malta I would have to go to LHR though, or LGW, so that's a good point about the railway.

I think Bristol is the kind of city I would want to live in, it is similar to the one I live in now. Not too big, but not small either. (I don't live in Mississauga like it says in my location ... I live near Mississauga)
Old Feb 8th 2014, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

£50,000 a year ? Doing what ? Foe someone still in High SDc hool you have big plans !

Last edited by scot47; Feb 8th 2014 at 3:34 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Backwell and Wrington, villages south of Bristol, and worked in the city for 4 years.
Bristol has good road and rail connections to the rest of the country. I found the weather reasonable. It is an interesting city, with another historic one (Bath) nearby.

There is nice countryside around, including the mendip hills and south Wales.
Housing is more affordable than the south east of England, though not as cheap as the north of England.

Bristol is an area I have thought about moving back to, and I happily recommend it.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
£50,000 a year ? Doing what ? Foe someone still in High SDc hool you have big plans !
Newly qualified accountants are commanding salaries of 50,000 pounds in the Northern Home Counties at present - you don't even have to work in London. Source http://www.icaewjobs.com

You have the skills and qualifications - you gets the money!

Not sure about Bristol though.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Thank you! Sounds good... May I ask, does Bristol have an Apple Store? Not that it matters too much, a drive to London isn't far for a new iPhone

I'm a big apple fanatic
I don't know if I'm a apple fanatic but with the viruses on my desk top I'm moving that way.
I just bought my second iPad and traded in my old one. This is known by some as the iPad5. Anyway it is the latest iPad.

I have an old iPhone which is good enough for my purpose. I did get a new iPhone 4 a few weeks ago but I sent it back.

Cheers
Old Feb 9th 2014, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Newly qualified accountants are commanding salaries of 50,000 pounds in the Northern Home Counties at present - you don't even have to work in London. Source http://www.icaewjobs.com

You have the skills and qualifications - you gets the money!

Not sure about Bristol though.
Well I'm open to anywhere but London, LOL so Northern England would work too as long as the winter isn't brutal like Ontario... London's too crowded and expensive for me. And exactly scot47 ... If I go to uni and become qualified in a high-demand, well-paid field, I expect to be paid well! Otherwise what is the point of going to uni and working hard if you're going to be paid measly?
Old Feb 9th 2014, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cheers
I don't know if I'm a apple fanatic but with the viruses on my desk top I'm moving that way.
I just bought my second iPad and traded in my old one. This is known by some as the iPad5. Anyway it is the latest iPad.

I have an old iPhone which is good enough for my purpose. I did get a new iPhone 4 a few weeks ago but I sent it back.

Cheers
Hehe well if you have the iPad and the iPhone and enjoy them the Mac is alot less headaches than PC ... If I may recommend an antivirus for PC it would be Avast Free. Tried and true with me, I have it on my laptop at the moment.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete
I lived in Backwell and Wrington, villages south of Bristol, and worked in the city for 4 years.
Bristol has good road and rail connections to the rest of the country. I found the weather reasonable. It is an interesting city, with another historic one (Bath) nearby.

There is nice countryside around, including the mendip hills and south Wales.
Housing is more affordable than the south east of England, though not as cheap as the north of England.

Bristol is an area I have thought about moving back to, and I happily recommend it.
Yeah also thought of living in Wales. I know someone who hails from Cardiff but figured the jobs would be better in Bristol...
Old Feb 9th 2014, 10:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

If I go to uni and become qualified in a high-demand, well-paid field, I expect to be paid well! Otherwise what is the point of going to uni and working hard if you're going to be paid measly?
$30/hr & more driving as a Toronto TTC transit operator

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/TTC-...es-E327306.htm

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010..._onethird.html

by comparison

Canada salary survey

http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary...obtype=1&job=1

Malta salary survey

http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary...=133&loctype=1

UK salary survey

http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary...=228&loctype=1

Australia salary survey

Last edited by not2old; Feb 9th 2014 at 11:55 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting... Thanks for those links... Is it not shocking that if you are working in the UK, Oz, or Canada, in I.T. , you are making more than twice what someone doing a similar job in Malta makes? And that person in Malta is only making €29,500 a year... Absolutely horrible IMO.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm open to anywhere but London, LOL so Northern England would work too as long as the winter isn't brutal like Ontario... London's too crowded and expensive for me. And exactly scot47 ... If I go to uni and become qualified in a high-demand, well-paid field, I expect to be paid well! Otherwise what is the point of going to uni and working hard if you're going to be paid measly?
Northern Home Counties is mainly Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire, so close to but not London, where a number of corporate headquarters are based. Reading is also a very good prospect near London but Bristol is a centre for the aerospace industry and technology in general. One could also live in the Bristol area but work in Swindon which is a manufacturing centre.

From today's Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/small-bus...ech-industries

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Feb 10th 2014 at 10:19 am. Reason: From today's Guardian:
Old Feb 10th 2014, 12:24 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting... Thanks for those links... Is it not shocking that if you are working in the UK, Oz, or Canada, in I.T. , you are making more than twice what someone doing a similar job in Malta makes? And that person in Malta is only making €29,500 a year... Absolutely horrible IMO.
did you not post somewhere that the cost of living in the very small island of Malta (Gozo) is way below what it is in Canada - such as a nice furnished apartment for 300-500 euros/mth, lower overall utility cost. Then I'm guessing its all relative bepending on what you the person is looking for. Take the big hassle of the commute with more money to the relaxed well-being lifestyle with lower wages.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Northern Home Counties is mainly Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire, so close to but not London, where a number of corporate headquarters are based. Reading is also a very good prospect near London but Bristol is a centre for the aerospace industry and technology in general. One could also live in the Bristol area but work in Swindon which is a manufacturing centre.

From today's Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/small-bus...ech-industries
Thanks.... Being from Canada I see maps and go, oh jeez that is a really far drive... But in reality Bristol to Cardiff is about 45 mins according to Google Maps. Probably similar with Bristol-Swindon. It's the M4 I believe that takes you basically from London to Bristol, Cardiff, Swansea etc... right?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by not2old
did you not post somewhere that the cost of living in the very small island of Malta (Gozo) is way below what it is in Canada - such as a nice furnished apartment for 300-500 euros/mth, lower overall utility cost. Then I'm guessing its all relative bepending on what you the person is looking for. Take the big hassle of the commute with more money to the relaxed well-being lifestyle with lower wages.
Yes the rent is cheap and utilities low-cost, compared to Canada or the UK. The lifestyle is wonderful in Malta and that's what draws me to the place so much and commends me to call it home, but it goes without saying that €29,500 a year doesn't provide much excess money aside from paying rent,(even if it is low) taxes, food, petrol, ferry to get to Malta, (€15/round trip with car for Gozitan ID card holders) plus other bills. Definitely not enough to say put a deposit on a house, or fly to Canada once a year to see your family...

The UK is a happy medium of what I like in Malta (climate, lifestyle) , and what I like in Canada (economy/jobs). It is also much easier to travel to Malta for even a quick weekend from the UK than from Canada.

So i've basically decided that although what would make me really happy is to go to Malta, I would be miserable on the salary there, so I would be happier in the UK, where I don't have to deal with the cold winter like Canada, have a good job, and Malta is a quick hop away.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 12:18 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Unless Chris drives a Ferrari and has frequent accidents, that will be £200 per year. That is close to the bottom end for someone with a good record and a normal car.

Even my hiking friend who has three cars, including a Porsche, only pays about £200 a year. He hasn't had an accident in almost 50 years of driving.

Younger, inexperienced drivers with no record, or some returning expats might have to pay several hundred pounds a year. I think my first year back I paid about £500.
I returned last year, passed my test in UK a good 20 plus years ago, went to Canada for 13 years no accidents etc. Sadly on my return, the UK insurance market wouldn't take my Canadian no claims into account, despite having written proof. I had to start over. Therefore, on a Volvo I now pay £330 per year. That's with 1 year no claims here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.