Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Working for offshore company under MM2H

Working for offshore company under MM2H

Old Apr 14th 2023, 4:36 am
Just Joined

enjoythesun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working for offshore company under MM2H

A question that hopefully someone has an answer to. Due to the pandemic my work in Australia is now allowed to be done remotely. The company I work for has no ties to Malaysia. Under MM2H it is implied that I could do that Australian based work remotely from Malaysia but I cannot find where in the regulations it states that explicitly. Similarly my MM2H was granted back in 2017 with financial income based on an ongoing job in the UK that I had at the time, which implies I can perform that work from Malaysia. Similarly the application for part time work under MM2H is all about working for a Malaysia based company.

Has anyone come across any information that explicitly states that you can in effect be a digital nomad under MM2H ?
Old Apr 14th 2023, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for offshore company under MM2H

Originally Posted by enjoythesun
A question that hopefully someone has an answer to. Due to the pandemic my work in Australia is now allowed to be done remotely. The company I work for has no ties to Malaysia. Under MM2H it is implied that I could do that Australian based work remotely from Malaysia but I cannot find where in the regulations it states that explicitly. Similarly my MM2H was granted back in 2017 with financial income based on an ongoing job in the UK that I had at the time, which implies I can perform that work from Malaysia. Similarly the application for part time work under MM2H is all about working for a Malaysia based company.

Has anyone come across any information that explicitly states that you can in effect be a digital nomad under MM2H ?

Would you not be treated as coming under Australian tax law by being paid in Australia without deduction of tax as you are not resident there?. You then just transfer funds from Australia to Malaysia as needed. that way you are not a nomad just an exempt Australian tax payer, resident in Malaysia. You may wish to consider researching Labuan tax exemption if it still exists.
Old Apr 14th 2023, 6:32 am
Just Joined

enjoythesun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikemike
Would you not be treated as coming under Australian tax law by being paid in Australia without deduction of tax as you are not resident there?. You then just transfer funds from Australia to Malaysia as needed. that way you are not a nomad just an exempt Australian tax payer, resident in Malaysia. You may wish to consider researching Labuan tax exemption if it still exists.
I don't intend to become a Malaysia tax resident. I will spend the 186 days/year in Australia to remain a tax resident and pay tax there, with rest of time in Malaysia.

It's whether for that 5 months in Malaysia can I be a digital nomad and work that way under MM2H ?
Old Apr 15th 2023, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't intend to become a Malaysia tax resident. I will spend the 186 days/year in Australia to remain a tax resident and pay tax there, with rest of time in Malaysia.

It's whether for that 5 months in Malaysia can I be a digital nomad and work that way under MM2H ?
I am not sure you will be a nomad as just declare australia be resident there. Speak to australian tax office they will guide free of cost
Old Apr 27th 2023, 4:37 am
Just Joined

Pilki is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I only just saw you post as I don't come on this site very often.

Of course, under MM2H rules, you can work work for a non-Malaysia company, this is allowed whether you are in Malaysia or not. But you can now get a digital nomad visa in Malaysia, this is for a maximum of 2 years, however, it allows you to work for Malaysian and non-Malaysian companies.