Why Retire in Malaysia?

Old Jan 5th 2013, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Mad Hatter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why Retire in Malaysia?

Originally Posted by abdulawwal
Hi everyone,

Interesting read. 3rd best retirement spot in the world!

http://www.theedgemalaysia.com/lifes...the-world.html
The reason I would rate Malaysia higher than Panama or Ecuador is a lower crime rate. Both Panama & Ecuador have a murder rate much higher than anyone in the West is accustomed to which is why I've ruled those countries out of consideration.

According to Wikipedia, the murder rate per 100,000 for the following countries:

UK - 1.2
USA- 4.8
Malaysia - 2.3
Ecuador - 15.2
Panama - 21.6
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

I go along with Mad Hatter, however Penang is rapidly becoming less enticing for retirees. Not only the property purchase threshold is now the highest in the country, but dealing with state departments is becoming an issue.

The application fee to buy property is RM1000 per application, but real estate agents have been told that it is soon to go to RM10,000. Put that into perspective, Selangor is RM300.

Local departments are becoming super pedantic and on a recent purchase, I thank goodness that my solicitor made a proviso that the contract was conditional on getting approval within 3 months of application. If that had not been a clause, we would have lost out as the delays and pedantic attitude of the local state government now beggars belief.

By way of comparison, I have heard of people wanting a simple life in Perak and their chosen place had no property that came up to the magical RM500k min purchase. An appeal to the Perak State Government saw them asses the case in isolation and allowance was made for the purchase.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:40 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
The reason I would rate Malaysia higher than Panama or Ecuador is a lower crime rate. Both Panama & Ecuador have a murder rate much higher than anyone in the West is accustomed to which is why I've ruled those countries out of consideration.

According to Wikipedia, the murder rate per 100,000 for the following countries:

UK - 1.2
USA- 4.8
Malaysia - 2.3
Ecuador - 15.2
Panama - 21.6
But do you choose a place to retire based on the number of murders?
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:44 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24
I go along with Mad Hatter, however Penang is rapidly becoming less enticing for retirees.
I'm not sure I agree with you there Mr Strider. Sure it's getting more expensive - not the cheapest place to be in Malaysia - but still folks are interested.

Proximity to int'l airport.
Shops, good medical facilities in spitting distance.
The ex Colonial thing
Old Jan 5th 2013, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Mad Hatter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
But do you choose a place to retire based on the number of murders?
No I don't choose a place based on the number of murders but if they have too many, I would choose not to go there to retire. I've worked and lived in some very dicey places but I don't want to feel unsafe when I'm retired.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:13 pm

No I don't choose a place based on the number of murders but if they have too many, I would choose not to go there to retire. I've worked and lived in some very dicey places but I don't want to feel unsafe when I'm retired.
So..... Will you retire in Malaysia?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

I did a lot of research into Panama which often scores highly in the retiree destination charts in various mags and sites. YMMV but I concluded that the reason it scores so highly is because of its proximity to the US. If a lot of budding expats from the US have family ties that they need to keep close to, Panama is a great option as it's so close to home. It also has a good retirement visa scheme with good incentives.

Things I didn't like about Panama though were numerous. Outside of Panama City (and one or two other large urban centres, the names of which escape me now) it's very very rural. As in 'Fistful of Dollars' rural, tumble weed and Clint standing at the end of the street. It's also not close to anywhere interesting, for me at least, just other similar looking countries and states. The extent of violent crime there is worrying also, the security arrangements that people seem to go to with landed properties in non-gated communities are extreme to say the least. Barbed wire, security cameras, dogs, shotguns. No thanks.

Penang I like for many reasons (won't repeat them here as they are all on my blog). Can't say I agree on it becoming less attractive though. Property launches often sell out on day 1 and there is no sign in any drop. Of course many will be for investment. But it's still an attractive place clearly. I'm not sure about state departments being difficult either, at least no more difficult than anywhere else I would think. My recent purchase went through without any glitch and I've always found the state departments that I've interacted with very easy to do business with.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Atilla, just had a quick look at your blog which you've promoted in all your recent posts for some reason,, any way scrolled down the Food section and see that like us Bagan was your favourite restaurant.
We went there each and every time we holidayed in Penang over many years and were sorry to see it close.

Have you visited it at its renaissance in MacAlister Mansions and if so is it to the same standard?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Hi. Not 'promoting' at all, no need, combined blog and FB page gets around 2-3,000 hits daily, promoting on forums certainly not worth my time or effort given it would have a zero proportionate impact on traffic. In fact the only promotion it gets comes from others. It's only when then are some specific, and at times lengthy, posts on a topic raised here that I make specific reference to it, I can't be bothered to re-type them all or indeed re-post the info here. Life's too short Too busy The sig contains the blog link in any event. Must admit I rarely do forums these days, unless they specifically relate to interests I have, far better things to do with my time.

Yah, Bagan was great. The new one is, different. The restaurant is very good I think, the head chef Lance is very talented. Some of the dishes they try out don't work so well however. But that's the same anywhere. The restaurant has quite a grand appearance to it, if somewhat cold and austere for my tastes. Very nice for a sophisticated / romantic dinner though and prices less exorbitant the Ferringhi Grill.

There is also a very good on-site cafe which serves some great food at good prices. Very nice looking if somewhat 'echoey' because of the hard finishing to all surfaces. Good char kway teow there if you fancy it in a cafe environment, or if your friends don't fancy street food and you do. Opens all day and closes very late, 2am IIRC.

The new club Bagan is a bit more hit and miss IMHO. Lacks the character of the old place. Again, very cold and austere. All black granite, marble and chrome. Not as popular as it was and a very strange L shape design that doesn't lend itself to an inclusive feel. The central bar takes up too much space as well. The band is OK, so so, but no Roz or Dasha Logan Luckily I see them often on the social scene and in KL professionally. They sometimes do China House but I dislike the cramped environment and obscured view from many seats there. Bagan DJ is Ok IF you like to listen to 70/80s music. But that's ALL he plays, gets tiresome, especially with a recent Motown themed night where the DJ played what? Yup, 80s music all night. Go figure

Plan on doing a full review of the whole establishment soon along with a lot more on Penang bars, clubs and nightlife. Massively popular topics.

Not sure if you're in to Thai food but there's a great place behind the Petronas garage in Green Lane. Best Thai food on the island IMHO. Most Thai food here I find pretty poor, ranging from average to suxxxxxxx, and certainly not a patch on good quality Thai food in Thailand, or food cooked by Thais at home. Restaurant is Sabai Sabai. Excellent place. VERY VERY popular.

Last edited by Atilla; Feb 20th 2013 at 5:22 am.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

We have bought recently at Batu Feringhi and will be using the place as a holiday home for a couple of years before retiring there permanently.
I am biased as my wife is Malaysian (I am a Brit) but my job has seen me travel most of the world and, for us, Malaysia offers the best combination of value for money, relaxed life style, Brit friendly, nice weather that we could realistically dare to hope for. It isn't perfect - we have already had issues with the developer over a leaking ceiling and general build quality but overall I would far rather live in Malaysia than go back to UK.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by rusty747
It isn't perfect - we have already had issues with the developer over a leaking ceiling and general build quality but overall I would far rather live in Malaysia than go back to UK.

All very true. Yes the build quality here can be a bit iffy at times - it is not the best in the World. But, as you say, given the choice of UK and Malaysia, it's a no brainer for me.

And its not the perfect climate either. There is a lot of high humidity but, so what, would rather have that than several feet of snow... brrrrrr.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:43 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

This is going to sound a bit sloppy but the reason I will be retiring to KK is that after 20+ years of marriage and living in the UK my Chinese Malaysian wife asked if we could retire to her homeland - Sabah. I agreed so long as we waiting till my parents had passed away. Now our home is in Sabah, as is our younger son and his family (he also married a Sabahan). What do I miss about UK? Screwfix, B&Q, Travis Perkins - we live near Inanam which I nickname "Hardware town" owing to the plethora of shops plying appropriate goods, so all is not lost!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

UK - 1.2
USA- 4.8
Malaysia - 2.3
Ecuador - 15.2
Panama - 21.6
If Malaysia has double the murder rate of the UK, why risk going there? So what is the rate in South Africa I wonder.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:05 pm
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

I think you will find most murders are related to domestic violence. Personally I feel a lot safer in Malaysia than UK. My elder son was mugged at knifepoint in Watford in broad daylight. That would never happen in KK. As the saying goes There are lies, **** lies and statistics
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:19 am

Well I've been the victim of crime (bag snatch) here in Penang, in Georgetown which I really love (NOT). Though an element of complacency on my part. I hadn't actually seen any kind of crime in 2 years and you do take it for granted sometimes that it is a safe place, when in actually fact, it's no different to anywhere else.

Crimewise, I would certainly rather be here than the UK, and thankful for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.