British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Retirement and MM2H (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/)
-   -   Why Retire in Malaysia? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/retirement-mm2h-205/why-retire-malaysia-716186/)

the troubadour Sep 26th 2011 7:25 am

Re: Why Retire in Malaysia?

Reading another Forum yesterday couldn't help but note several Farang retirees in Thailand praising the system and ease of retiring in Malaysia and the difficulties in Thailand.
Some were actually considering cutting their Thai ties and relocate down South. Penang appeared the place of choice and many have knowing Penang for years due to doing the visa runs.

bakedbean Sep 26th 2011 8:28 am

Presumably the posters you mentioned were comparing "unofficial" retirement, without a visa? Thailand does have a 1-year renewable retirement visa and dead easy to get, but you do still have to report to Thai Immigration every 90 days and fill forms, which can get rather wearing.

I think the MM2H visa is great, but I would say that, wouldn't I?

the troubadour Sep 26th 2011 10:21 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9642071)
Presumably the posters you mentioned were comparing "unofficial" retirement, without a visa? Thailand does have a 1-year renewable retirement visa and dead easy to get, but you do still have to report to Thai Immigration every 90 days and fill forms, which can get rather wearing.

Possibly so. Although they seem to have been there a time. Some of the comments made about the locals dopes make you wonder why they bother at times.
Still a lot doing the visa run for what ever reason. Too young for retirement perhaps not sure?

Malaysia also has perhaps more dependable laws, banks, police, little language complications etc,etc. Interesting that more Thai ex pats are thinking along Malaysian lines.

bakedbean Sep 27th 2011 3:26 am

Yes it could be age.

Language-wise, certainly more people speak English here in Penang than we ever found in Thailand, though not everyone.

Generally, we're finding the banks good and welcoming, which is not always the case in Thailand. Some banks there cannot be bothered with foreigners it seems.

Laws and police... ah... no comment.

Strider24 Oct 15th 2011 1:09 pm

Yep got back after midnight last night with streaming cold, eye, nose, ears (blocked), taste buds gone...just as well as added 7 kg while away. Cruise ships are lethal....and over 3 weeks on one is murder on the waist.

Have a problem with my moniker as Strider was my catamaran which I sold while away..hmmm.:eek:

bryannn Jan 29th 2012 9:58 am

Attila, not sure where you are now, but just to let you know that I've hooked up with a sailfish angler with a boat in Rompin. Judging by his site, he knows what he's doing. He is a Brit, but that's not his fault eh. :lol:

If you're keen to give Rompin a go some time, let me know?

I'm meeting him this coming Tuesday.

Keep you posted.

bakedbean Jan 29th 2012 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by bryannn (Post 9871410)
Attila, not sure where you are now,

If you haven't already done so, you might like to try the PM function. Have fun boating :)

grimke Jan 31st 2012 1:03 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9351571)
Malta, Spain, no attraction. I was already living in south east Asia and like it here, so made no sense to move back to Europe. Doesn't Spain have some horrible wealth tax? I know of a few expats who have moved to Penang from Spain. They say Penang is a lot cheaper.

MM2H seems like a good scheme to me. I like the fact that you don't have to have medical insurance. They accept a waiver from an insurance company. Some other retirement schemes (Singapore, Australia) insist on med insurance and being healthy. Errr how do you guarantee that in old age?

Yes, hope to spend twilight years here. To me, it makes no sense in going back to "homeland". Our strategy is to possibly have a maid/homehelp in our later years, if we get to the doddery stage, and see how that goes. Keep active and try and keep relatively healthy and there's loads of retirees here, so we can all help each other out a bit. And keep a big pot of cash for future medical expenses.

I have been reading this forum with great interest. I shall be arriving in Penang from the UK on Sunday, with a definite view to spend at least a year renting an apartment. I am already in indirect touch with the owner. I will be viewing the apartment in the first two weeks of my stay at a guest house.
I have one question which concerns medical insurance. Firstly, is it compulsory? I do have travel insurance (12 month). I daresay I'll have to take out some form of insurance as a resident. Or not?
I will also need to register with a doctor. Any thoughts on that?
As someone who is 64 (about to be in receipt of the state pension, as of Jan 2013), am I eligible for any perks, discounts etc?
I am looking forward (I think!) to a warmer climate.
All the best.

grimke Jan 31st 2012 1:09 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9642071)

As someone who is about to move to Penang for a year or so, I am assuming that since I dont qualify for the Malaysia second home I have to leave the country at the end of 90 days and then come back in for another 90. Is that correct? I've already booked my trip to Singapore at the end of April. Such a shame i have to go there! (tongue firmly in cheek!!!)

Davita Jan 31st 2012 5:10 am

Originally Posted by grimke (Post 9874841)
As someone who is about to move to Penang for a year or so, I am assuming that since I dont qualify for the Malaysia second home I have to leave the country at the end of 90 days and then come back in for another 90. Is that correct? I've already booked my trip to Singapore at the end of April. Such a shame i have to go there! (tongue firmly in cheek!!!)

I'm interested grimke....Why would you NOT qualify for MM2H.....seems almost anyone can.

grimke Jan 31st 2012 5:47 am

I have no capital to bring into the country.

Davita Jan 31st 2012 7:21 am

Originally Posted by grimke (Post 9875086)
I have no capital to bring into the country.

Ok! I wasn't expecting that obvious answer. Sorry, I wasn't probing, just hoping I could explain something that might have been misunderstood about MM2H.
Good luck.

bakedbean Jan 31st 2012 12:37 pm

You don't need medical insurance. You don't need to register with a doctor.

You will find that there are plenty of kliniks everywhere. If you have a not too serious ailment, your first port of call would be to a klinik**. Just walk in, maybe take your passport, that is all. You will get to see a doctor, probably on the spot, and it will be a fraction of what you pay in the UK. Most kliniks also dispense their own medicines.

**Also depending on your ailment, just go along to a farmacy and tell them what your symptoms are. By the way, quite a lot of medications that need a prescription in the UK, can just be bought over the counter at a farmacy.

If you have something a little more serious, or if you want to, just go to one of the many hospitals in Penang. Go to reception desk and tell them what you want and you'll get an appointment.

I gather that the "government hospitals" are quite cheap but I have no experience of them I am afraid.

bakedbean Jan 31st 2012 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by grimke (Post 9874841)

Yes correct I believe. Have heard differing stories but I understand that it is not always easy to do this indefinitely. I have friends that have failed to get MM2H visa and they do visa runs to Singapore (they have family there) and they are getting the Spanish Inquisition coming back into Malaysia. They have been in Malaysia I guess 2 years max.

the troubadour Feb 5th 2012 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Davita (Post 9875037)
I'm interested grimke....Why would you NOT qualify for MM2H.....seems almost anyone can.

Not sure why you would consider this to be so. Malaysia has rather spacific requirements for those considering a MM2H visa.
Further it is not such a cheap option as they have lifted the bar again in recent times.
As with a lot of places they are increasingly looking to attract the better off.