Why Retire in Malaysia?

Old Oct 24th 2014, 1:33 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Retire in Malaysia?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Guess I'll just have to head to Penang, which sound a bit like a Malay version of the Gold coast from this distance. *sigh*
According to my Aussie chums, nothing like the Gold Coast...and not particularly Malay either. On Penang island, the majority race is Chinese, though also a sizeable population of Indians and Malays. It makes for quite an interesting cultural mix, and a great diversity of food.

Lots to see....heaps of heritage buildings, temples (all kinds), botanic garden, nature trails.

There are some nice beaches but, quite honestly, if you are just looking for great beaches...check out the east coast of the peninsular (during summer months, not NE monsoon time) or Langkawi or head for Thailand.

If you're checking out for retirement purposes, then in my opinion Penang has a lot to offer.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
According to my Aussie chums, nothing like the Gold Coast...and not particularly Malay either. On Penang island, the majority race is Chinese, though also a sizeable population of Indians and Malays. It makes for quite an interesting cultural mix, and a great diversity of food.

Lots to see....heaps of heritage buildings, temples (all kinds), botanic garden, nature trails.

There are some nice beaches but, quite honestly, if you are just looking for great beaches...check out the east coast of the peninsular (during summer months, not NE monsoon time) or Langkawi or head for Thailand.

If you're checking out for retirement purposes, then in my opinion Penang has a lot to offer.
Thanks BB very reassuring Especially the heritage building and cultural mix part, sounds interesting.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Cooler climate is definitely on higher grounds, specifically Cameron Highlands.

However, your requirement states shopping malls, easy transportation and what not. Can't say for sure a cooler place in Malaysia that has all the above.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roystevenung

However, your requirement states shopping malls, easy transportation and what not. Can't say for sure a cooler place in Malaysia that has all the above.
Thanks for the feedback.

At least I'll be able to get a cool fix if needed. I've narrowed the top contenders to two very different places now. Malaysia and Tasmania. It looks like we will end up living in Malaysia for a while renting, whilst renting our Melbourne house out and we may end up buying in Tasmania later on, after selling our Melbourne place. Still plenty of water to go under the bridge before we can leave our youngest to fend for himself. Despite me hitting my 60th next year and the wife in 2 years. It's getting exciting now I have to keep an eye on the Aus Government pension means test which complicates matters slightly. So timing is going to be a bit tricky.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 24th 2014 at 9:50 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Midlands is an older shopping complex on Jalan Burmah, right opposite Adventist hospital. I like these older shopping places...lots of interesting little shops.
Many thanks bakedbean. I too like to wander around older shopping places. Fewer crowds and often it is like stepping back in time.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 4:20 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Thanks for the feedback.

At least I'll be able to get a cool fix if needed. I've narrowed the top contenders to two very different places now. Malaysia and Tasmania.
Do both?? Quite a few Aussies split their time between home country and Malaysia. Something to do with tax I think....you'll know more about that than me. Why not? Buy in Tasmania, then rent in Malaysia for 6 months or so. When one gets a little doddery in senior years, you've got the option of staying in Tasmania.

There you are. All sorted out for you. No charge
Old Oct 25th 2014, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by roystevenung
I've started a new topic in this section, Roy, if you want to join in. You are probably more knowledgeable than some (that includes Me).
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do both?? Quite a few Aussies split their time between home country and Malaysia. Something to do with tax I think....you'll know more about that than me. Why not? Buy in Tasmania, then rent in Malaysia for 6 months or so. When one gets a little doddery in senior years, you've got the option of staying in Tasmania.

There you are. All sorted out for you. No charge
Worth considering. Re the Aussies splitting their time:- It's to do with permanently residing in Aus rules and the government pension v the means test on the Government pension. I personally come in after 35 years plus in the Aus workforce as a person that wont be getting anything in the way of entitlements from the UK... Well maybe a small amount that the Aus government will deduct... That is if we qualify for the Aus pension after the means/assests test. So we have to be particularly careful.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Greetings everyone.

It has been a long time since I visited this site. Saw a familiar avatar here........hello baked bean. How have you been? I came here because another ex member informed me that Scott's mm2h has closed down and if there is another forum going.

Cheers

Redbean
Old Oct 31st 2014, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by redbean
...hello baked bean. How have you been?
Bakedbean been fine Redbean.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 2:32 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Bakedbean been fine Redbean.
Just got wind(!) the beans have been in touch

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Oct 31st 2014 at 2:42 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 2:41 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redbean
Greetings everyone.

It has been a long time since I visited this site. Saw a familiar avatar here........hello baked bean. How have you been? I came here because another ex member informed me that Scott's mm2h has closed down and if there is another forum going.

Cheers

Redbean
This is the message you get when you try to access Scott's website (my2home.info):-

8 1/2 years running the Forum and that's it folks.

Many thanks for all the good wishes over the past few months.

All the posts, members profiles, and everything else, are now deleted and there's nothing left.

regards,
Scott

It's very sad for, if not rather dismissive of, those who have posted over the years on this website to see all their contributions deleted at the snap of Scott's fingers.

So glad I never signed up.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 2:58 pm

IVV there's a thread on the subject.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 3:04 pm
Hostage Negotiator

IVV there's a thread on the subject.
Ah yes:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/retir...e-gone-844749/
Old Oct 31st 2014, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

I haven't return, not since I got booted out. Lol!

Now, to get back to those intriguing discussions, where should I post, here or the link above? Heh heh heh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.