Why Retire in Malaysia?

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 6:02 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Retire in Malaysia?

Thank you Bluenose1 - I'm sure you're right about the future but currently neither the Malaysia Airports website nor Skyscanner list any flights at all and the Lion Air website itself does not show any scheduled flights that I can find. I assume everyone still uses KLIA?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Thank you Bluenose1 - I'm sure you're right about the future but currently neither the Malaysia Airports website nor Skyscanner list any flights at all and the Lion Air website itself does not show any scheduled flights that I can find. I assume everyone still uses KLIA?
That's interesting, because my S-I-L & B-I-L definitely flew to Indonesia (Pekan Baru) from there and if it wasn't Lion Air it might have been Wings Air (which I think is a subsidiary of Lion Air). I have a feeling that they don't fly every day, though. more like 3 or 4 times per week. So still doesn't quite fulfill the category of "International airport"!

Fascinatingly, IXIGO states on their website: "Batu Berendum (IATA airport code: MKZ) is one of the important passenger airports in Melaka, Malaysia. It provides flight connectivity for many destinations . You can use ixigo.com to book cheap flights from Batu Berendum to any destination of your choice by comparing all airlines operating from Batu Berendum." Mind you, to my knowledge, it is the only airport (not just passenger) in Melaka, so I suppose under those circumstances, it must be one of the most important there!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 12:55 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I assume everyone still uses KLIA?
I imagine that is Yes. At least friends I know do that. I don't know how long it takes to,drive to KLIA from Melaka. Maybe Bluenose will tell us.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I imagine that is Yes. At least friends I know do that. I don't know how long it takes to,drive to KLIA from Melaka. Maybe Bluenose will tell us.
My wife tells me it can be done in 1 hour. I, on the other hand, have either driven or been driven there on a number of occasions, and we've never done either KLIA or LCCC in less than 1.5 hours!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:37 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for your input on this. The basis for my questioning was whether I should consider visiting Melaka as a possible place to live in Malaysia. I think I probably should eliminate this option (although I'm sure, from what I have discovered, it is indeed a great place to visit and to live). In the end, I need to be close to an airport hub (30 mins or thereabouts) so that I can come and go as required.
The choices are looking like KL or Penang - unless anyone has other ideas???
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 1:43 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the question is Where would you be coming and going to/from?

You could factor in Johor I suppose. Not too far to travel to Changi in Singapore. And also has its own airport....not major but can get to a few places i think.

Also bear in mind that KLIA is not actually in KL so may want to factor that into the equation. So maybe somewhere south of KL would be good for you.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

As BB says, KLIA is not in KL. In fact, on a good day, I would say that you would be looking at 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours to KLIA. Of course, the KLIA Express (train) does it quicker, I think maybe around 30 minutes.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:43 am
Hostage Negotiator

Well that's interesting to know, I hadn't realised how far out KLIA was from the city centre but it's still about 90 mins from Melaka which is just too far.
We will be staying at the Shangri-La in KL before coming onto Penang so is it best to take the KLIA Ekspres from the airport or just get a taxi there?
Finally we'll hire a car to drive down to Penang and I'm think of using rentalcars.com which will end up about €42 per day incl of excess waiver for a Prton Waja - is this a good deal/company?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

You could get the train to KL Sentral and then use the LRT to get to your hotel. Will probably be cheaper and quicker than a taxi. If you do decide on a taxi, there is a taxi counter in the arrivals hall (just before you come out into the main concourse, I think there are 2 counters, one at each side). Book one and pay for it there. They will give you a voucher and tell you which taxi stand to go to. Otherwise, you will get hassled in the terminal (you will probably get stopped a few times anyway) by taxi drivers that will have very old and probably beaten-up taxis and could well be more expensive; just say "No" and keep walking to the exit.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:08 am
Just Joined

DWJL is an unknown quantity at this point

I was there in April. My wife and I got the KL express direct to KL sentr. It took 28 mins. It was clean, smooth , air conditioned and comfortable. There are plenty of racks for luggage too. At the time we took it @ 9:00 omit was it crowded.you can buy your ticket online before you leave the UK.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:10 am
Just Joined

DWJL is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I will re type that.. "at the time we took it, @ 9:00pm, it was not crowded"
Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:26 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's interesting to know, I hadn't realised how far out KLIA was from the city centre but it's still about 90 mins from Melaka which is just too far.
We will be staying at the Shangri-La in KL before coming onto Penang so is it best to take the KLIA Ekspres from the airport or just get a taxi there?
Finally we'll hire a car to drive down to Penang and I'm think of using rentalcars.com which will end up about €42 per day incl of excess waiver for a Prton Waja - is this a good deal/company?
Hi,

When you first arrive at KLIA I suggest you take the KLIA Ekspres train from the airport to KL Sentral. That’ll get you downtown the fastest with no traffic. Then take a taxi from the station to the Shangri-la (buy a taxi coupon from the counter in the arrivals area of the station). Excellent afternoon tea there!

See: www.kliaekspres.com

Regarding car hire, the rate you have quoted looks expensive.
I suggest you compare with the prices offered here: http://www.simedarbycarrental.com/He...servation.aspx
This is a Hertz International Licensee

A week’s care hire works out at about 30 Euros a day.

NB. Select “Best Online Rate” in the rate preference box, and please note the new address of the Hertz office in downtown KL.

Depending on your route through Malaysia and your schedule it may be worth considering asking to rent KL to Penang only. You could then fly from Penang to Langkawi and fly back to KL. If you book early, domestic flights are very cheap with the budget airlines (AirAsia, Firefly etc), and sometimes with MAS too.

In Langkawi, Kasina rent-a-car are OK. www.kasina.com.my

Have a great trip!

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Sep 7th 2013 at 2:30 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 3:30 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Thanks for the tips, JC3. Hertz is coming out a good 50% higher for an intermediate car hired in KL with a drop-off at Penang International.

I've asked Kasina for a quote for Langkawi.

Sounds like the Express train and taxi is the way to go in KL - thanks again.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 3:32 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips, JC3. Hertz is coming out a good 50% higher for an intermediate car hired in KL with a drop-off at Penang International....
Ooops!

I hope the following is a better tip.
When you are in Penang check out 'The Wine Shop' in Pulau Tikus - 800+ wine labels there.
Also there's quite a good wine selection in Cold Storage supermarkets. There's two branches - one in the basement of Gurney Plaza shopping mall, and one in the basement of Island Plaza mall.

JC3
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips, JC3. Hertz is coming out a good 50% higher for an intermediate car hired in KL with a drop-off at Penang International.

I've asked Kasina for a quote for Langkawi.

Sounds like the Express train and taxi is the way to go in KL - thanks again.
Kasina are good in Penang and have an outlet in KL.
Maybe they'll let you hire in KL and drop off in Penang without additional charge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.