Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Where to get certified copies in Penang

Where to get certified copies in Penang

Old May 14th 2019, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road
Default Where to get certified copies in Penang

Hi, can someone recommend where I can make certified copies in Georgetown (for mm2h)? They should be certified by "by EMBASSY / HIGH COMMISSION / NOTARY PUBLIC / GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL / SOLICITOR / ADVOCATE / AUDITOR FROM ORIGIN COUNTRY."
Old May 15th 2019, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to get certified copies in Penang

What is your "ORIGIN COUNTRY"?
Old May 15th 2019, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Norway, I think (guess from earlier post).
Old May 15th 2019, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Yes Norway, but I need copy of sale and purchase agreement and bank fd (for fd withdrawal).
Old May 16th 2019, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Are these documents re. sale and purchase in Malaysia, the FD in Malaysia?

If so then the stamping might already have been done. One could go to the original notary/Commissioner of Oaths in that case and they might provide a stamped copy again at a discount rate.

The Bank should have had their one Comm. of Oaths/Notary stamp the FD document - if it is for MM2H.

Otherwise, Notary/Commissioner of Oaths are on just about every street in downtown Penang. Beach Street (Lebuh Panati) has plenty. It was once "Lawyers Row". Just look up for a black signboard affixed flat to the wall.

Last edited by RedApe; May 16th 2019 at 3:58 am.
Old May 16th 2019, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks! I'll look for a notary in Beach Street, the black signboard is saying "notary public" or similar?

And for the bank, I can't use notary public to copy it, need to get it from the bank?
Old May 16th 2019, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

It may say several of the tasks they are license to do. NOTARY PUBLIC / SOLICITOR / ADVOCATE / LAWYER/ COMMISSIONER OF OATHS or sometimes three of the five. Sometimes just one.
Old May 16th 2019, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepen
Yes Norway, but I need copy of sale and purchase agreement and bank fd (for fd withdrawal).
I got the certified true copy of the S&P from the "original" lawyer. So if you did not buy from a private person but from a Real Estate company just tell them you need a copy from their lawyer for Putrajaya.

The copy of the bank FD slip was certified by the MM2H officer when we brought the documents.

So the costs for us were zero.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

So I went to beach street and after tried 3 notaries that were not present this week I found one that is present.
They charge 40 ringgit for one page!
So my sales and purchase agreement and bank letters costed me 920rm.

I couldn't get the original solicitor to certify the copies as they went out of business..
Old Jun 6th 2019, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

From another site...

"Here's a list of Notary Public in Malaysia by State. There are tons in KL alone.

http://www.agc.gov.my/agcportal/inde...9NNFcyaVFUQT09

Pick one and go there, Fees are RM10 to RM30 depending on what is needed per document. If they charge above it, you are getting scammed. Report them to the BAR council.

https://www.notarypublicmalaysia.com/fees/

Reporting to the BAR council of Malaysia

http://www.malaysianbar.org.my/contact/complaints/

EDIT: Per Document means, one entire document NOT per page of a document. e.g. you can have an 80 page document, its considered one document."
Old Jun 6th 2019, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Best of luck.

Last edited by RedApe; Jun 6th 2019 at 12:10 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you defintely got scammed. Would indeed be great if you would make a report to BAR.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies!
There might have been something lost in translation or misunderstanding, as they first suggested that only the signature page should be certified copy with regular copies of the other pages. I insisted that all pages should be certified, as MM2H office writes that all copies must be certified.

I had to do this that day, and as this was the only notary I found after 3 other was closed/not present, I guess I would have done the same again. Too bad that it's not more straightforward to get this done in Penang.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

So YOU insisted on getting all the pages certified, despite what the Notary suggested. Lesson learned, unfortunately.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

When Mm2h says all copies should be certiified I wouldn't take the risk of having certified copies of only the signature pages. I wouldn't have been surprised if the document was not approved.

Also, the notary mainly suggested that because every certification is 40rm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.