Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Waiting for MM2H approval, but visa will finish

Waiting for MM2H approval, but visa will finish

Old Oct 22nd 2015, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Question Waiting for MM2H approval, but visa will finish

Hi all,

after fighting my way thru the MM2H procedure, I finally reach a point, where I need help. If have applied and wait for approval now.

The main problem is that i did not realize that the approval process can take so long. Not a big thing for me, but my wife is chinese and only can get a 30 day visa to Malaysia. We could extend this for 30 days paying a huge 100 RM (usually it is not possible to extend for Chinese at all), but also this will finish probably before our approval and definitely before i can file for the 10year SVP. So she needs to get out of the country and apply for a new visa.

Here are my questions:

*) We were told by immigration (the total chaos place in Putra) she needs a "VDA" to get a "Visa with reference". With this she can enter without return ticket. Has anybody had to deal with this before?

*) Chinese MM2H people told us, that if you enter Malaysia with a normal 90 day "stamp" or 30 day social visit visa, apply at the MM2H center and not leave the country until approval (this is what I plan to do), then you have to pay for a "Journey Performed Visa" which costs aound 600 RM before you can apply for the 10year SVP. How to avoid this?

And if anybody knows a option how my wife can stay here with me while we wait for the approval, that solution certainly would be the one to prefer.

Thanks for every answer to this questions in advance.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 8:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting for MM2H approval, but visa will finish

Hello and welcome to the forum. I've shifted your topic into the Retirement and MM2H section, as MM2Hers are more likely to spot it in there.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 8:48 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David_Yang
Hi all,

after fighting my way thru the MM2H procedure, I finally reach a point, where I need help. If have applied and wait for approval now.

The main problem is that i did not realize that the approval process can take so long. Not a big thing for me, but my wife is chinese and only can get a 30 day visa to Malaysia. We could extend this for 30 days paying a huge 100 RM (usually it is not possible to extend for Chinese at all), but also this will finish probably before our approval and definitely before i can file for the 10year SVP. So she needs to get out of the country and apply for a new visa.

Here are my questions:

*) We were told by immigration (the total chaos place in Putra) she needs a "VDA" to get a "Visa with reference". With this she can enter without return ticket. Has anybody had to deal with this before?

*) Chinese MM2H people told us, that if you enter Malaysia with a normal 90 day "stamp" or 30 day social visit visa, apply at the MM2H center and not leave the country until approval (this is what I plan to do), then you have to pay for a "Journey Performed Visa" which costs aound 600 RM before you can apply for the 10year SVP. How to avoid this?

And if anybody knows a option how my wife can stay here with me while we wait for the approval, that solution certainly would be the one to prefer.

Thanks for every answer to this questions in advance.
The Journey Peformed visa is obligatory for residents of non-Commonwealth countries so she can't avoid this. It will take place at the same time as her MM2H visa is put in her passport. It does not require her to leave Malaysia.

But I don't think it is a good idea for you wife to outstay her current 30 day visa, it would be better to leave and then come back when you know that you have got your MM2H approval.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
The Journey Peformed visa is obligatory for residents of non-Commonwealth countries so she can't avoid this. It will take place at the same time as her MM2H visa is put in her passport. It does not require her to leave Malaysia.
This also happened to me. I received the letter of approval from the Government, stating that my MM2H request has been granted. Then they list what needs to be done (and be paid) before completion of the MM2H visa. One of the listed items is one Journey Performed Visa. I guess they only charge it to me and not to my wife, even though we are both not from the Commonwealth.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 2:45 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
This also happened to me. I received the letter of approval from the Government, stating that my MM2H request has been granted. Then they list what needs to be done (and be paid) before completion of the MM2H visa. One of the listed items is one Journey Performed Visa. I guess they only charge it to me and not to my wife, even though we are both not from the Commonwealth.
I think they charge you both if you are both non-Commonwealth citizens.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thanks for your answers. As I am a German citizen, i also will not have the friendly Commonwealth regulation. Guess nobody has any experience with the a "VDA" and "Visa with reference" thing? With this it should be possible to avoid this "Journey performed visa" according to a Chinese MM2H guy. At least my wife can do this in China, for me of cause it is useless to fly back to Germany to get this visa with reference, I will just pay the ridiculous 600 RM.