Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

The very expensive Journey Performed Visa - how to avoid

The very expensive Journey Performed Visa - how to avoid

Old Dec 8th 2015, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

TomVienna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The very expensive Journey Performed Visa - how to avoid

As this forum ist called "BritishExpats" the chance is quite high that nobody knows what I am talking

But for Non-Commonwealth-MM2H-Applicants this is a very annoying thing. You have to pay 500 RM up if you arrive with the "wrong" visa/stamp in your passport when you want to get the 10 year social visit pass.

As many people dont need a visa, i wonder how to avoid this. Can I just enter from another country and show my MM2H approval letter at passport control and then they give me the right stamp?
Old Dec 8th 2015, 10:39 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The very expensive Journey Performed Visa - how to avoid

Hello Tom and welcome to the forum

No, we all know what you are talking about. Actually you will find all nationalities on here and especially in this section. Not all Brits. And plenty of folks from mainland Europe. I assume from your name you are in Austria.

RM 500 is just over a hundred Euros. You are getting a 10 year visa. Y'know they are not going to give away visas for free. Why would they? We are not Malaysian.

You have to pay these things if you wish to live in a country that is not yours.

I've just coughed up RM 10,000 for some "Foreigners" permit to have the Half of our flat passed to me (Mr bb left the planet a few months ago). Do you think that is right? I think it's bonkers, but it's not for me to say. It's not my country. Just saying.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

I was told o get a tourist visa at a MY embassy before coming here for my MM2H.
With this I did not have to pay the 'journey performed' via.

At the embassy they were wondering why I bothered as I was visa exempted, but issued one on my request.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I am also from mainland Europe. When I travelled to Malaysia to get my MM2H I did not apply for a tourist visa in advance. And I did not have to pay for the "Journey Performed Visa". However, my wife (Japanese national) did have to pay for it. I don't know which country's nationals they charge and which they don't.

By the way: if 500 RM is a bottleneck for coming to live for 10 years in Malaysia you may want to reconsider your entire plan. There must be something wrong in your long term financial calculations if this is a bottleneck.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 7:08 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
I was told o get a tourist visa at a MY embassy before coming here for my MM2H.
With this I did not have to pay the 'journey performed' via.

At the embassy they were wondering why I bothered as I was visa exempted, but issued one on my request.
I think this is exactly right, if you are from a non-Commonwealth country then you need to come into Malaysia on a Visa, if not then you will have to pay for a JPV. I think Sushifan somehow "slipped" through.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

It is not about not wanting to pay 500RM additionally for a ten year visa!!
It is about finding the reason for it being imposed and if possible, how to avoid it, of course weighing the difficulty of the procedures against the possible savings.
For example, I did my MM2H through an agent even though I could have done it on my own. (Probably cheaper)
One of the advantages of having an agent was getting the advice to enter on a tourist visa.
(There were of course other advantages which made it worthwhile for me as well, but I stick to the topic)
Old Dec 9th 2015, 10:03 am
Just Joined

TomVienna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SushiFan
By the way: if 500 RM is a bottleneck for coming to live for 10 years in Malaysia you may want to reconsider your entire plan. There must be something wrong in your long term financial calculations if this is a bottleneck.
I have good news for you, you donĀ“t need to worry about my financial situation, it is quite excellent. And the reason for this is that i care about having 1000 to 1200 Ringgit more or less. And of cause I prefer to pass money to my kids or to some NGOs I support. And not all Non-Commonwealth-Europeans need to pay, so you just were lucky to be Swiss or Dutch or whatelse

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
I was told o get a tourist visa at a MY embassy before coming here for my MM2H. With this I did not have to pay the 'journey performed' via. At the embassy they were wondering why I bothered as I was visa exempted, but issued one on my request.
OK, then I think it will not work directly when enter Malaysia. But of cause it is no option to go back to Europe and collect it to save the fee. That is what you say, "weighing the difficulty of the procedures against the possible savings".

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I assume from your name you are in Austria.

RM 500 is just over a hundred Euros. You are getting a 10 year visa. Y'know they are not going to give away visas for free. Why would they? We are not Malaysian. You have to pay these things if you wish to live in a country that is not yours.
Yes, Austria, was not difficult to guess And I know that these things happen, have lived in another much more difficult Asian country before with no chance to get a long-term-visa. But you really think MM2H is such a good deal? It is OK, because the process is so easy that if you plan it right (this is what I did not). And yes of cause, it is all my mistake because i prepared this thing not really good. Meanwhile I am not sure if i prepared it at all, at least I should have found this forum earlier.

Interesting would be to compare MM2H to other countries program like Thailand. But finally after being so often in Malaysia in the last 10 years I want to be here and nowhere else

And if I buy a car, the deal gets better anyway.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi TomVienna,
Yes, MM2H is a good deal because (some examples):
- Compared to many countries, very lean requirements.
- Low costs of living
- Quite safe
- Good health care facilities
- Tax free income derived from overseas
- Tax free interest on your fixed deposits here
- Tax free profits on funds profits
Old Dec 9th 2015, 1:21 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tom, there was an old topic on here comparing Malaysia retirement versus Thailand retirement. You can search in the search box (top right). Probably closed up now. I think we all got fed up discussing. Yes I got fed up with Thailand but....some folks love it. It's horses for courses as always.

IMHO MM2H is a good visa. No it's not perfect but better than a few other options...again just my opinion.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Wait till he applies for broadband

No, I'm just kidding.

Welcome to Malaysia
Old Dec 13th 2015, 6:01 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Discussion about TV has been moved here http://britishexpats.com/forum/malay...laysia-869145/