Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Tax Free Car Exemption Cut off Date Extended

Tax Free Car Exemption Cut off Date Extended

Old May 13th 2018, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Free Car Exemption Cut off Date Extended

Originally Posted by InFlagranteDelicto
Is the Tax free car exemption a major issue?
Definitely. The "tax free" car and reduction of the minimum property prices have been the two main reasons for us to join MM2H.

The price we had to pay for our Nissan has been slashed RM 30.000, that is quite an amount. Other models even brought higher gains. As the car dealers (the serious ones) had done all the paperwork and did not charge anything for this, there have been zero costs. But yes, the waiting time was a factor, we had to wait almost six months.
Old May 14th 2018, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

For myself the waiting time was an advantage as I applied one year before actually moving here. So the car was ready the day after I arrived.

Last edited by Gunnar45; May 14th 2018 at 1:11 am.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Buffie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I've just moved to KL on a mm2h visa. I'm looking to buy a new CKD car and take advantage of the tax free benefit and get a decent discount of approx. Rm30-40k. However, I've been told by sales persons from Honda and Kia that the tax free discount is only Rm4-8k depending on the model. Is the tax free discount really this low or am I being misled?
​​​​​Appreciate it if anyone has purchased a tax free car within the last year or so could share their experience and the discount they got. Also if anyone else has any advice on this and buying a car, that will be gratefully received as well.
thanks B
Old Sep 1st 2018, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

kiat137 is an unknown quantity at this point

Few years ago Malaysia government reduced the import tax but the material cost price increase. Therefore, the incentive is not attractive as last time .
Old Sep 1st 2018, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buffie
Hi, I've just moved to KL on a mm2h visa. I'm looking to buy a new CKD car and take advantage of the tax free benefit and get a decent discount of approx. Rm30-40k. However, I've been told by sales persons from Honda and Kia that the tax free discount is only Rm4-8k depending on the model. Is the tax free discount really this low or am I being misled?
​​​​​Appreciate it if anyone has purchased a tax free car within the last year or so could share their experience and the discount they got. Also if anyone else has any advice on this and buying a car, that will be gratefully received as well.
thanks B
The government ended the tax-free car incentive on January 1, 2018. Only those that received a visa between 1 January 2017 and December 31 2017 were eligible for that opportunity this year. Too late if you were approved for the visa after December 31 of last year. (I assume that since you just received your visa and have 6 months to pick it up...the approval came this year).

"ANNOUNCEMENT FOR TAX INCENTIVE UNDER MM2H PROGRAMME

The Government has decided to abolish the tax incentive on the purchase of a new locally assembled vehicle or the import of a pre-owned private vehicle into Malaysia under MM2H Programme. Therefore, this tax incentive will be terminated effective from 1 January 2018. However, Ministry of Finance will give special consideration to MM2H participant with first MM2H’s Visa approved beginning 1 January 2017 until 31 December 2017 to submit complete application via MyCukai System at http://mycukai.treasury.gov.my not later than 31 December 2018."
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I got my MM2H visa last year and aware of the announcement. I should be eligible for tax free exemption, but who know since it mentions " special consideration". However if the discounts are insignificant as to the reasons kiat137 mentioned then it appears this benefit isn't worthwhile pursuing considering the effort and longer waiting times involved?
perhaps better to buy a 2nd hand car but I hear has its own set of problems with unscrupulous car dealers?
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

The MM2H car tax incentive only applies to locally assembled cars. If I'm not mistaken are Honda and Kia cars not assembled in Malaysia.
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Honda depends on the model, I remember from my inquiery that the discount was quite substantial. Around 20.000 for the HR-V. But that was in 2016.

Kia no discount, you should check Toyota and Nissan for reference, they are most popular with MM2H holders and well prepared.
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Honda depends on the model, I remember from my inquiery that the discount was quite substantial. Around 20.000 for the HR-V. But that was in 2016.

Kia no discount, you should check Toyota and Nissan for reference, they are most popular with MM2H holders and well prepared.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

kiat137 is an unknown quantity at this point

Only Malaysia local assemble car have the incentive and the tax rate is based on how much portion is assembled in Malaysia.
As I know Kia only very little model sell in Malaysia and also only 1 or 2 model is assemble in Malaysia.
Others brand like Honda Toyota do have some model is fully assemble in Malaysia and no tax.
The tax incentive on local assemble car is no longer attractive since 3-4 years ago because government revised the tax rate due to the assemble cost price increased.

Tax free incentive only given up to MM2H participant who endorsed their visa up to 31 Dec 2017. Up to now 3 Sept 2018, most of the car dealer will stop taking order for those who wanted to buy a car with the tax free incentive because they unable to deliver the car before 31Dec 2018. So everyone just buy car with local market price.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 2:57 am
Just Joined

eCdD, do mind sharing your Nissan sales person contact with me? Interested to try Nissan and see whether they're still entertaining MM2H, maybe little or nothing but worth a try.
BTW, did Nissan handle the MM2H tax exemption application and did they charge you for this?
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point

eCdD, do mind sharing your Nissan sales person contact with me? Interested to try Nissan and see whether they're still entertaining MM2H, maybe little or nothing but worth a try.
BTW, did Nissan handle the MM2H tax exemption application and did they charge you for this?
Hi Buffie, I sent you a Private Message yesterday with details please check if you received it (top right by your welcome name).

Last edited by Macsta; Sep 3rd 2018 at 7:33 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2018, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, they not charge anything for this. And yes, the handled everything, I was not involved apart from bringing them the documents they needed for this.

Salesperson, see PN.