Taking a loan as MM2Her

Old Nov 10th 2020, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking a loan as MM2Her

So far I paid everything "cash" in Malaysia, not even thought of a loan as the priority was to get out 150k from the mandatory FD as fast as possible.

But as this is done now and the interest rates are so low now I am thinking of buying the next car with a loan.

Anyone has done this before? Guess the procedure will be not as standard as we MM2Hers have no local salary.
Old Nov 10th 2020, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a loan as MM2Her

Originally Posted by eCdD
and the interest rates are so low now
In case you are interested: my MM2H FD recently had its annual renewal. The interest rate went down from 3.8% last year to 2.1% for the coming year (at CIMB).
I have no experience with taking out a loan in Malaysia.
Old Nov 11th 2020, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is the new normal now.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

I am here as LTSVP, we've looked into a loan before but with no income in Malaysia would have had to rely on our foreign income and that is not considered unless it is from Singapore. Went all through the loops of getting certified statements from agents etc. it would appear that it is a bank negara rule. Both my wife and I have separate income from investment and property in the UK but no use.
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

I am in the process right now, no result so far. Actually the bank took the salary documents from Europe and the banking slips from there as well. If they make any use of it I don´t know. As I have a lot of FDs running in Malaysia and Singapore, also long term, that were the main documents I submitted.
Old Dec 29th 2020, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK, it failed.

No mood to try again with other bank, I continue to buy cash and take the small discount.

More important, Malaysia government has extended the tax holiday for car buyers:
https://www.malaymail.com/news/malay...e-2021/1935874

Problably mainly because Proton collected 50.000 bookings for the X50 and X70 and has only delivered 5000 before Dec 31
Old Dec 30th 2020, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried to obtain a loan from your home country bank? I had a French friend purchase a condo with a mortgage vis a French bank. Seemed odd. Perhaps he used assets in France as the collateral?
Old Dec 31st 2020, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, RedApe, that is interesting. But a Euro loan is not attractive. Already by changing to MYR I would lose 0.7%. And it is not possible to get these so attractive Malaysian interest rates between 2.20 and 2.30%.

Old Jan 12th 2021, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing related to taking a loan as a MM2H'er.
I had to make a money (bank) transfer out of MY a few days ago.
One of the forms I then had to sign was to confirm that I had no loans in Malaysia.
I was told that having loans here is one of the restrictions for transfers out of the country.

Last edited by Gunnar45; Jan 12th 2021 at 4:27 am.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
One thing related to taking a loan as a MM2H'er.
I had to make a money (bank) transfer out of MY a few days ago.
One of the forms I then had to sign was to confirm that I had no loans in Malaysia.
I was told that having loans here is one of the restrictions for transfers out of the country.
That's really strange. Is that only for MM2H or everyone...how can they even do international business? And while I can see requiring enough to cover any loan remaining in an account, it makes no sense to bar more than that. Still it seems strange. Why would anyone ever bring money into the country under such circumstances?

Old Jan 14th 2021, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Red Ape,
Don't know who all are subject to this, butgot the impression that this was more directed towards citizens but they asked me to sign ths declaration 'just in case'
I don't think that having a debt means a firm 'NO', they just consider the size of the loan vs liquidity. And of course the amount one wants to transfer.
Another thing, as it was a private transfer, they also required a copy of the ID/PP of the recipient.
This was also a first time requirement for me.