Subsidized Health Care???

Old Mar 16th 2020, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Subsidized Health Care???

Does anyone know if what this person says is legitimate?

"Subsidized Public Healthcare The government subsidizes public healthcare in Malaysia. Treatment at public healthcare centers is cheap if you can get subsidized public healthcare.

You can get medical expenses waived or lowered at government hospitals and clinics if you stay in Malaysia for 182 days or more per year.

You can get subsidized public healthcare in Malaysia if: you’re a tax-paying resident, or you’re a resident under the Malaysia My Second Home, or MM2H, program and have a monthly offshore income of 10,000 MYR or more."

https://www.expatden.com/malaysia/he...lic_Healthcare
Old Mar 17th 2020, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Subsidized Health Care???

I'm not so sure about that statement in the article. If the MM2H holder is a tax resident in Malaysia and submits a tax return then medical costs can be listed in one of the sections for tax relief. This could result in a lower income tax bill. Some people call this being "subsidised by the state". I'm not sure whether this is what the intention of that article is though.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

I guess this only means that you don´t have to pay the "tourist fees" and can get the Permanent Residence fees.

MM2H is not mentioned in this article, but I think we fall in here:
"The new rates will apply to both children and adults, except for fo­reigners holding permanent resident status."

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malay...-230pc/1351929
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

I think that it's been pretty clear that MM2H is not PR status (e.g. PR can work, MM2h not; PR can apply for citizenship, MM2H can't). It would be interesting if we DID fall under this provision, though. Anyone know?

Maybe that past allowance was what my friend was referring to...
Old Jul 21st 2020, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe View Post
I think that it's been pretty clear that MM2H is not PR status (e.g. PR can work, MM2h not; PR can apply for citizenship, MM2H can't). It would be interesting if we DID fall under this provision, though. Anyone know?

Maybe that past allowance was what my friend was referring to...
If you found out any more, it would be useful to have an update.

Medical insurance renewal time is coming around again and I'm getting increasingly resentful of paying out thousands in premiums to international insurers when I'm fit and healthy with exemplary lab test results and take many steps to insure that I stay that way.

But the big unknown is accidents. If I have a major one and end up in the ICU in Malaysia for months, I don't want to be nearly bankrupted. I've looked at personal accident insurance, but the local policies emphasise payouts for death and disability, with negligible amounts payable for medical expenses (typically stating a maximum of RM10,000 per year). I guess that's because Malaysians are always covered by their Govt subsidy. Hence the question about eligibility for MM2H holders who are tax resident (but not working) here.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

No update. I suspect the claim was simply bulldada. One of those endless fables told when someone is a bit tipsy or trying to win a point.

Plus it doesn't make sense for MM2H and most other visa holders as one of the requisites is "You must show health insurance". If you were covered by the gov't scheme then why would one have to demonstrate that you had sufficient health insurance coverage.

It seems odd that Malaysian health insurance includes items that would normally be considered life insurance (death). I agree that catastrophic accident/ illness is what would make the most sense for most expats. I actually have a very good foreign insurance plan through my former employer as part of their pensions scheme. Essentially I get 80-90% of costs reimbursed for almost everything with even coverage for home health care workers/meal prep and rehab. I haven't used it yet (2 and a half years in) simply because most of the items are too small to worry about. It would sure be nice if government schemes in the West would see the sense in expanding their coverage abroad to places where the costs are 10-20% of that in the home country.

Last edited by RedApe; Jul 24th 2020 at 2:25 am.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe View Post
No update. I suspect the claim was simply bulldada. One of those endless fables told when someone is a bit tipsy or trying to win a point.

Plus it doesn't make sense for MM2H and most other visa holders as one of the requisites is "You must show health insurance". If you were covered by the gov't scheme then why would one have to demonstrate that you had sufficient health insurance coverage.

It seems odd that Malaysian health insurance includes items that would normally be considered life insurance (death). I agree that catastrophic accident/ illness is what would make the most sense for most expats. I actually have a very good foreign insurance plan through my former employer as part of their pensions scheme. Essentially I get 80-90% of costs reimbursed for almost everything with even coverage for home health care workers/meal prep and rehab. I haven't used it yet (2 and a half years in) simply because most of the items are too small to worry about. It would sure be nice if government schemes in the West would see the sense in expanding their coverage abroad to places where the costs are 10-20% of that in the home country.
I'm trying to contact the author of the original article to request sources for the info.

I understand that medical insurance is only compulsory for peninsular MM2H holders below 60 (?) years old? Is it possible that some subsidy of charges is in place for seniors?

I found this: Government Hospitals’ Treatment Charges for Foreigners but no mention of reduced charges for MM2H or tax resident persons. The list doesn't seem to be comprehensive - no mention of charges for surgery or ICU.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Epicurious View Post
I understand that medical insurance is only compulsory for peninsular MM2H holders below 60 (?) years old?
The requirement used to be that you have to show that you have medical insurance or that you show evidence that you can't get medical insurance. For example: showing a letter from an insurance company in which they reject your application e.g. because of your age.