Sarawak M2H

Old May 13th 2019, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sarawak M2H

There are a lot of miscommunications between Ministries and between a Ministry and the private sector. One long term one is the statement on the Ministry of Sport, Tourism and Culture's website that the SM2H is for 10 Years. That's a myth that the Minister repeats here.

https://www.newsarawaktribune.com.my...cement-dr-sim/

Another is that Permanent Residents can be a sponsor. The website still states that one can get a waiver of the import tariff for an imported used vehicle or domestically built vehicle. Since that would be a Federal policy I seriously doubt the benefit exists any more.

There are a whole host of "policies" instituted by the Ministry of Immigration that are out of synch with the idea of making it easier. Documents only in Malay; the "Journey Performed" fee- designed to prevent solicitation of employers- which makes no sense for SM2H, requiring people to take their Health Checks to a single clinic to be authorized; Requiring that every page of a passport be copied (even blank ones)., etc.

Dr. Sim likely gave his introductory talk at the "opening" and hopefully immigration pointed out that "actually we do ask applicants to attempt to stay in Sarawak" and Sabah has recently barred those on MM2H from the Peninsula and SM2H from residing in their State and allowing those on their program for residing elsewhere. That's the sort of information that is critical, particular to Ministers negotiating bilateral agreements between States within Malaysia. As well, given the number of property agents involved in the workshop it would seem likely that they might see requiring applicants to purchase/rent land or property as a requirement as beneficial to their bottom lines. But instituting such a rule would actually REDUCE the number of applicants.

So new regulations might very well be introduced that is NOT beneficial to the program under the argument that it will attract more "quality applicants". But who would BUY property when they are over 50, have no long-term guarantee of residency, can't pass on the property they own to a child who can become Resident. You have to solve the issue of PR and inheritance before you'll get people purchasing real estate.

I just delivered a 17 page analysis of How to Make SM2H more successful, attractive and applicant friendly, better known, AND will generate more income directly and indirectly to the State. Hopefully they'll take a look-see and find it interesting and innovative. Maybe because it comes from an orang puti it will be placed in the blue colored filing cabinet down the hall.

Last edited by RedApe; May 13th 2019 at 10:33 am.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

I've set up a Sarawak My Second Home Facebook Site/Group that contains information about the CURRENT Program Requirements and some other topics interesting to applicants or potential applicants.

When the Rules change I'll alter the information.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Sarawak-My-Second-Home-392953571551468/photos/?ref=page_internal

https://www.facebook.com/groups/168068210798651/

I hope this assist some people who might want to refer people to that program.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

"Sarawak's Best Kept Secret- Malaysia My Second Home" by Edgar Ong

https://www.theborneopost.com/2019/0...xejPDD-9s_mXOE

Last edited by RedApe; Aug 24th 2019 at 2:09 pm. Reason: author name
Old Sep 8th 2019, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

obaydullah is an unknown quantity at this point

The website https://mtacys.sarawak.gov.my/ states over the past few days that it is under maintenance. Could we guess that the application criteria had been reviewed and would be posted soon?
Old Sep 9th 2019, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

The whole Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sports link is being upgraded/"down for maintenance"...not just the links on the MM2H program. Could be anything. But I suspect that a revision to Sarawak MM2H policies would not require the whole site going off line, nor take so long.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 5:00 am
Just Joined

lisasungtan is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Sarawak M2H

Been to Sarawak with my spouse and got his smm2h visa stamped on the 28th October 2019
Thank you Jerry for all the guidance when we needed it most. Kudos. Much appreciated for all the advices.
Only concern now is that my spouse were told by the immigration officer that we can only reside in Sarawak, contradiction with what is stated on the website, that we can reside anywhere in Malaysia.
Someone, help?
Our plan was based on living on the peninsula.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

I suspect a Junior Officer trained on the Peninsula. They are told that those applying to the peninsular MM2H cannot live in Sarawak or Sabah and ASSUME that the same applies to the Peninsula for Sarawak. Also they are well aware that people are using Sarawak as a "back door" to avoiding the long waits on the peninsula...now almost a year. Sarawak has about a 2 month period from submission of application to approval. Immigration knows about this situation and thus asks/tells applicants that they should live in Sarawak. But until it's stated on the Conditional Letter of Approval and they start requiring some proof of lease or a deed (which means same issues as Sabah) then it's not enforceable.

In fact, Sarawak still allows applicants to SM2H to live on the Peninsula...or even outside the country. Sabah did change their policy a few years ago. Now Sabah requires recipients to show a tenancy or property purchase agreement in order to be approved for Sabah MM2H. This has produced some issues as some landlords will only agree to long term leases if the applicant has a long-term visa. I suspect that with a bit of money anything can be arranged...and likely the agents are in cahoots with the property managers. Heck, there may even be phony leases and deeds flying about. In addition purchase of property in Sabah with an MM2H visa in hand has a floor of RM500K, but without it...it's RM1 Million. So it's a bit of a Catch-22.

I am a bit concerned that it may be put into the revised program as Property Agents really want people to buy property...and they are short-sighted. They'll actually just reduce the number of applications.

The downside of the Sarawak MM2H is, of course, the requirement of a Sarawakian sponsor and the illegal avaricious agents that charge usurious fees for simply finding a Sarawakian to act as a sponsor (and I emphasize "act"). If people spent a month in Sarawak they'd likely find a local to do it for 1/5th to 1/10th as much.

As advice...live in the Peninsula if you want. When you (or your husband) reapplies, rent a place with a rental agreement. Ask the landlord to make it month to month and you'll pay a bit more. Use this to prove "Sarawak Residency". But currently Proof of Residency within Sarawak is not required for Renewal. Maybe that will change - as they are revising the program.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 2:45 am
Just Joined

lisasungtan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedApe
I suspect a Junior Officer trained on the Peninsula. They are told that those applying to the peninsular MM2H cannot live in Sarawak or Sabah and ASSUME that the same applies to the Peninsula for Sarawak. Also they are well aware that people are using Sarawak as a "back door" to avoiding the long waits on the peninsula...now almost a year. Sarawak has about a 2 month period from submission of application to approval. Immigration knows about this situation and thus asks/tells applicants that they should live in Sarawak. But until it's stated on the Conditional Letter of Approval and they start requiring some proof of lease or a deed (which means same issues as Sabah) then it's not enforceable.

In fact, Sarawak still allows applicants to SM2H to live on the Peninsula...or even outside the country. Sabah did change their policy a few years ago. Now Sabah requires recipients to show a tenancy or property purchase agreement in order to be approved for Sabah MM2H. This has produced some issues as some landlords will only agree to long term leases if the applicant has a long-term visa. I suspect that with a bit of money anything can be arranged...and likely the agents are in cahoots with the property managers. Heck, there may even be phony leases and deeds flying about. In addition purchase of property in Sabah with an MM2H visa in hand has a floor of RM500K, but without it...it's RM1 Million. So it's a bit of a Catch-22.

I am a bit concerned that it may be put into the revised program as Property Agents really want people to buy property...and they are short-sighted. They'll actually just reduce the number of applications.

The downside of the Sarawak MM2H is, of course, the requirement of a Sarawakian sponsor and the illegal avaricious agents that charge usurious fees for simply finding a Sarawakian to act as a sponsor (and I emphasize "act"). If people spent a month in Sarawak they'd likely find a local to do it for 1/5th to 1/10th as much.

As advice...live in the Peninsula if you want. When you (or your husband) reapplies, rent a place with a rental agreement. Ask the landlord to make it month to month and you'll pay a bit more. Use this to prove "Sarawak Residency". But currently Proof of Residency within Sarawak is not required for Renewal. Maybe that will change - as they are revising the program.
thank you so very much for being such great help here, and hopefully all will go well for us, whether we chose to retire, sarawak or peninsula?

we are supposed to be celebrating after the mm2h stamp, alas a bit of a downer when was told otherwised. hmmm, fingers crossed, will keep you posted. cheers
Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

StillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisasungtan
Been to Sarawak with my spouse and got his smm2h visa stamped on the 28th October 2019
Only concern now is that my spouse were told by the immigration officer that we can only reside in Sarawak, contradiction with what is stated on the website, that we can reside anywhere in Malaysia.
Our plan was based on living on the peninsula.
Where in the peninsula you would rather live and why?

Old Nov 18th 2019, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just to follow up on the above.

I contacted the Sarawak MM2H Director at the Ministry of Tourism in Kuching and asked about any changes re. mandatory residency in Sarawak.

She said that there hasn't been any such change and currently one can live and stay anywhere in West Malaysia as well as Sarawak without restriction. She suggested either that the immigration officer was trained in Sabah or misread the requirement that those wanting to live IN SARAWAK must apply through the Sarawak Immigration.

But there has been no rule change and you should face no issues at renewal as you were approved under the "old set of rules". Just keep your letter of conditional approval in a Safe Place. When the new rules come out (and if there is a change) show them the letter and the dates to indicate that your approval was under the old rules. Your MM2H pass will say "Permitted to Enter and Stay in Malaysia until....(date)." There is no Condition or Restriction that a Sarawak MM2H Recipient has to reside in Sarawak, at least not yet.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perhaps a useful item.
A Sarawak MM2H Brochure (Current Rules).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sarawak M2H Brochure Plan V.pdf (546.9 KB, 272 views)
Old Jan 15th 2020, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

obaydullah is an unknown quantity at this point

RedApe: You say in your Brochure that "Currently a Sarawak sponsor is required but this is under review". How long do you think it would take for them to review the mandatory "sponsor" requirement? Many thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe
Perhaps a useful item.
A Sarawak MM2H Brochure (Current Rules).
Sounds indeed much more attractive than the Peninsular MM2H. Especially the RM150,000 FD that can be triggered down to 60k. But I guess they also donĀ“t allow change of bank?

Old Jan 27th 2020, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by obaydullah
RedApe: You say in your Brochure that "Currently a Sarawak sponsor is required but this is under review". How long do you think it would take for them to review the mandatory "sponsor" requirement? Many thanks.
I don't have the slightest guess on this. My estimation would be useless. All I can say is that the government says they ARE reviewing the program to increase participation and reduce paperwork. In my opinion the sponsor is the biggest factor affecting that could be reasonably changed that impacts application numbers. It also increases paperwork and slows down approval. Under the current system (underground agents and legal compensation to the sponsor) it doesn't enhance security. So there is little reason to keep it...unless one is an underground agent or getting kickbacks from such an agent.