Sarawak M2H

Old Oct 8th 2018, 2:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sarawak M2H

Originally Posted by Jimooi18
I hope this qualifies as a third post as I have received a private response but cannot access it yet. I also realize that many users may benefit from private posts but sometimes a “private” post is solely for ones particular set of circumstances.
If you only want the benefit of the experiences of one person, then that's up to you. Most people post their own circumstances on the forum, that's how they get a good range of information - they don't (and shouldn't) post identifying details, nor do they need to in order to receive answers.
Old Oct 8th 2018, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

@RedApe: All you need to open an FD account in Kuching is a letter from MoTAC mentioning the name of the bank in question. In order for the FD to remain open you must show that you have the visa in due course, or it will be closed. Both CIMB and OCBC told me that I needed to open the FD first, using the letter from MoTAC saying that I am intending to apply for SMM2H. CIMB even said that I need to show them the completed application forms, before I apply for the visa. Then they would open an account and I could pay in the 100K. THEN with proof of the FD I could make the application to Immigration. I strongly queried what they told me, and they were firm with their replies. CIMB said that if my visa application was unsuccessful then they would return the deposit to the source.

I also asked at Immigration. The officer who deals with SMM2H told me the same thing. Get the FD first, enabled by a letter from MoTAC, then apply for the visa. This is of course not the same procedure as is followed in Peninsular MM2H applications.

You were presumably wanting to open a normal savings account, and did not need an FD for your income-based application. That may have made the difference in the attitude of the banks.

I decided not to go forward with an application, due to the sponsor issue.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 12:16 am
AGC
Just Joined

AGC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sarawak M2H

Was informed yesterday that Sarawak MM2H programme is currently suspended - difficult to believe that since official web site was updated 6 Dec 2018 and says nothing about suspension. Anyone know anything on subject? Thanks.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AGC
Was informed yesterday that Sarawak MM2H programme is currently suspended - difficult to believe that since official web site was updated 6 Dec 2018 and says nothing about suspension. Anyone know anything on subject? Thanks.
Informed by whom?
Old Dec 6th 2018, 2:32 pm
AGC
Just Joined

AGC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sarawak MM2H

A correction to my post of 5 Dec 2018. What Immigration has now told me today is that the rules have changed (when - don't know) such that if you are married to a Sarawakian you are no longer able to apply under the MM2H programme. So my efforts in personally compiling all the MM2H papers (and submitting them) have been in vain. Now have the papers to complete for Permanent Residence (PR). Apology for yesterday's incorrect information.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Sarawak MM2H

Originally Posted by AGC
A correction to my post of 5 Dec 2018. What Immigration has now told me today is that the rules have changed (when - don't know) such that if you are married to a Sarawakian you are no longer able to apply under the MM2H programme. So my efforts in personally compiling all the MM2H papers (and submitting them) have been in vain. Now have the papers to complete for Permanent Residence (PR). Apology for yesterday's incorrect information.
No worries. PR is a far more secure status - congrats!
Old Dec 7th 2018, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, seemed odd. I know of at least four distinct applicants applying to Sarawak M2H in the last two months, and one has received the visa just this week. This individual was married to a Sabahan (not a Sarawakian). Now I don't know why he didn't apply for the Married - Social Visa document in Sabah. But he fairly quickly received the Sarawak M2H. I'm awaiting word on the success of the others, but it seemed odd that the program was reportedly suspended.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Greenhouse44 is an unknown quantity at this point

morning all can someone give me the latest correct rules for Sarawak m2h, can I get this in Sarawak and live in KL? How many years is this visa? Is it a difficult process
thank you in advance
Old Jan 7th 2019, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Hi just checking in, poosible someone can give me correct up to date rules re Sarawakm2h. Here from Spain checking out all options for our retirement
Old Jan 7th 2019, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there has been any change in the rules for Sarawak.

https://mtacys.sarawak.gov.my/page-0...awak-MM2H.html

These are pretty much identical to the ones I mentioned in the initial post and which all applicants I have spoken to have applied under.

Best of luck,

Jerry
Old Jan 7th 2019, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, an Agent in KL said he thought from November Sarawak was not allowing you to live elsewhere in Malaysia anymore only Sarawak with the Sm2h visa. Any recommendation whom to see to start process if we come to Szrawak
Old Jan 7th 2019, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

If so, this is a new policy and nothing that any of the most recent applicants have stated. Several of them are from Penang and KL, and applied in November, so if true this is not good, but surely would have been raised with them.

I HAVE heard from one person that this is now the policy in Sabah. But Sabah has never published exactly what their policies are. Sarawak is quite transparent.

Furthermore as agents in KL are not allowed to practice in Sarawak (see the above, "no agents or middlemen allowed") maybe the agent is telling you this in order to get your business for an MM2H? How would they know, anyways, since they aren't allowed to practice in Sarawak? All of the four agents on the MM2H site that supposedly are going to help you find a sponsor in Sarawak (although licensed by the Federal Government) are not able to legally operate in Sarawak.

Of course maybe one of their clients (from Penang or KL) were rejected because they were represented by an agent and Sarawak Immigration picked up on this...then the agent created some story that it wasn't because they got "outed" as illegally operating in Sarawak, but because their client lived in the Peninsula. "Sorry, your fault, not ours. We're keeping the money...but maybe we can make a deal to help you get the MM2H instead". Or maybe it was just "bait and switch". No real application in Kuching, and then just tell the client that they HAD done so..."but we can get you an MM2H".

Another possibility is that they are confusing it with another provision. Apparently they are requiring the Sarawak-native SPONSOR to be resident in Sarawak, not on the Peninsula or abroad.

The Ministry of Immigration doesn't require a rental contract or other evidence of habitation. You need an FD in a local bank, though (if you go that option). And you cannot withdraw cash from the fixed deposit for childrens schooling, or property purchase if you are schooling/buying property on the Peninsula. I'm not sure about the health care withdrawal.

In my view having people live in Sarawak would generate more income for the local economy, but it would be better to make it happen more through incentives like the above...Sarawak purchases, rent, services could be paid for by withdrawals from the Fixed Deposit. That would lure people to live or stay in Sarawak for longer. But if they wanted to travel for a year or extended periods then that would not be an issue either. They are pumping money into the local economy. That's good. But it would not (in my proposal) REQUIRE residency.

So as far as I know (and I'll check when I get back in three days) this requirement to live in Sarawak is a myth.

The real hurdle is the sponsor

Last edited by RedApe; Jan 7th 2019 at 11:53 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedApe
If so, this is a new policy and nothing that any of the most recent applicants have stated. Several of them are from Penang and KL, and applied in November, so if true this is not good, but surely would have been raised with them.
Would you mind checking with your KL or Penang resident friends who have successfully obtained SMM2H whether or not they had to 'hide' their West Malaysia address during the application process (eg on the application forms and also on the bank account for the FD if they took that route)? Was it necessary to disguise the fact that they had an address in KL or wherever and only use a homeland address?
Old Jan 21st 2019, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Hi redape dud you find out the information re the Sarawak visa Smm2h.? Can we apply if not going to live in Sarawak? Had an "agent" call said cost was 10000 and if nit successful they only give half back, said they find the sponsor for you, so confused, i feel sooo expensive and no guarentees.
your opinion is still valued. Thank you
Old Jan 21st 2019, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Greenhouse44
Hi redape dud you find out the information re the Sarawak visa Smm2h.? Can we apply if not going to live in Sarawak?
You can apply in Sarawak and live anywhere in Malaysia (though I heard from an applicant that Sabah is not allowing either MM2H or Sarawak M2H to live there). They did not have to hide their Penang or KL address because they put their local temporary Kuching residential address on the application- where the Immigration could contact them. As yet Sarawak does not have a residency requirement.

Had an "agent" call said cost was 10000 and if nit successful they only give half back, said they find the sponsor for you, so confused, i feel sooo expensive and no guarentees. your opinion is still valued. Thank you
I would repeat what I have always said. Sarawak does not allow agents or paid Middlemen and if you get one you are technically in violation of the law. They could reject your application BECAUSE you used a sponsor. I will repeat what I always have said...you need to spend time in Sarawak to find a sponsor willing to guarantee the Personal Bond. Immigration interviews the sponsor to see if they actually know you. The sponsor must be a Sarawakian.

You asked me where to start. Well if you LIVED in Sarawak you could ask you landlord. But since you are not living here it will be much harder. You don't have friends, landlord, people who would trust you because you would be living here, etc. Maybe you could find a fellow Spaniard that is married to a local Sarawakian who would sponsor you. I personally don't set up sponsors. I'm not an agent or a magician.

Last edited by RedApe; Jan 21st 2019 at 9:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.