Sarawak M2H

Old Feb 15th 2019, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sarawak M2H

Under the FD Scheme: It's a two step process (at least). 1) One first submits the completed application via the Ministry of Tourism or Immigration and requests a letter of reference to the Sarawak branch of the bank of your choice for the Fixed Deposit. Generally it's good to visit several banks to examine their exchange fees, interest rates and procedures. Some banks may not even accept a SM2H FD application.

2) You wait for the transfer to occur and receive a document of completed establishment from the bank.

3) You bring the letter of completion from the bank to Immigration. Only after you establish the Fixed Deposit and there has been an interview with your sponsor is the application complete. That does not mean approved...just completed.

4) It is then reviewed by the Committee. That can take about a month depending upon their meeting schedule.

[Note: Apparently under the FD scheme no proof of assets is required. (RM100,000 single or RM150,000 for married). Immigration does not require proof of assets under the FD.
Under the Pension scheme one must demonstrate a minimum of RM10,000/mo (RM7000/mo for a single applicant) in guaranteed incoming pension/assets. No FD is required.]

Last edited by RedApe; Feb 15th 2019 at 12:41 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe
Under the FD Scheme: It's a two step process (at least). One first submits the application via the Ministry of Tourism or Immigration and requests a letter of reference to the bank of your choice for the Fixed Deposit. Only after you establish the Fixed Deposit is the application complete. You bring the letter of completion from the bank to Immigration. It is then reviewed by the Committee.
Apparently under the FD scheme no proof of assets is required. (RM100,000 single or RM150,000 for married). Immigration does not require proof of assets under the FD.

Under the Pension scheme one must demonstrate a minimum of RM10,000/mo (RM7000/mo for a single applicant) in guaranteed incoming pension/assets. No FD is required.
Not exactly correct for the FD route: Before you go to Immigration at all you must contact Dr Rosalind Ling at the Ministry of Tourism and tell her the bank at which you want to open the FD account and send her a picture of your passport photo page. There is no need to show her your application. She will issue a letter that you have to collect from her and take to the bank in question. This letter is not available from Immigration, only the MoT. It only allows you to open the FD account and does not form part of your application documentation. The bank will open the account, you transfer the funds from abroad, and then the bank gives you the crucial FD slip and a copy of the slip certified by them. They also gave me a letter addressed to Immigration verifying that I had opened the account. You can then go to Immigration with all of the other documents required and submit your application. There is no point trying to submit anything to Immigration prior to having the FD.

Last edited by Epicurious; Feb 15th 2019 at 12:52 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

So would you say the blue line on the far right hand side of this flow chart is incorrect for those applying by the fixed account. For THOSE applicants they MUST first go through the Ministry of Tourism to get the letter (aka "One Stop Agency") but they need not put the application/ FD slip (once obtained from the bank) back into their hands but may take it directly to the Ministry of Immigration?

https://mtacys.sarawak.gov.my/upload...0PROCEDURE.pdf
Old Feb 15th 2019, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

So would you say the blue line on the far right hand side of this flow chart is incorrect for those applying by the fixed account. For THOSE applicants they MUST first go through the Ministry of Tourism to get the letter (aka "One Stop Agency") but they need not put the application/ FD slip (once obtained from the bank) back into their hands but may take it directly to the Ministry of Immigration?

https://mtacys.sarawak.gov.my/upload...0PROCEDURE.pdf
Exactly. The method I described is how it works in practice.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 3:54 am
Just Joined

petemac2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

When it comes to getting documents certified, is it per document or page that you are charged? If per document, than it doesn't matter how many pages are in that document?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:02 am
Just Joined

petemac2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

All paperwork lodged and accepted by Immigration, next step interviews. Anyone able to shed light on what type of questions either they or their sponsors were asked?

Cheers
Old Mar 1st 2019, 2:55 am
Just Joined

obaydullah is an unknown quantity at this point

The Sarawak MTACYS webpage https://mtacys.sarawak.gov.my/page-0...awak-MM2H.html in an update on 22 February says: 'The S-MM2H Coordination committee is now reviewing the requirements and regulations for the programme.' Can you guess what the new requirements and regulations may look like?
Old Mar 15th 2019, 10:19 am
Just Joined

TopCat61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I just joined today. Firstly, RedApe ... huge thanks for the effort you've gone to in giving everyone all this valuable info. Bloody great job, mate :-)

I couldn't see it directly addressed above, but it was implied that if/when you left Sarawak/Malaysia, you could get the remaining FD refunded. Is that so? I wonder what constitutes the substantive or actionable proof that triggers the refund? Would you have to declare never to re-apply for a SMM2H again? But could return on an ordinary/tourist visa?

Would there be some final (perhaps sizeable) deduction from what remained?

Thoughts?

Old Mar 15th 2019, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, in order to get your Fixed Deposit back you have to notify both Immigration and the MM2h (or Sarawak MM2H) office beforehand. DO NOT simply let the visa expire! Here's how the process works in Sarawak. It's likely similar on the Peninsula.

https://mtacys.sarawak.gov.my/upload.../Terminate.pdf

I'm unsure what you mean by a "deduction"? The full amount you placed (minus any withdrawals) plus interest is returned.

It's unclear what sort of limbo the account would be placed in if you failed to follow the proper procedure.

And I don't think there'd be any issue returning on a tourist pass for visits unless it appeared you were "abusing the privilege". I also don't think that there would be any issue with reapplying for a SM2H later provided you had met all the criteria for reapplication. You'd lose you paid up visa fees (RM90/year), I'd expect.

Last edited by RedApe; Mar 15th 2019 at 10:42 am.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 10:47 am
Just Joined

TopCat61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic. Thank you so much, RedApe.

I'm planning to explore SE Asia later this year, with a view to picking a retirement spot or spots, and Sarawak certainly looks interesting.

When I get there, I'll owe you a beer or two :-)
Old Mar 15th 2019, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

BTW Here is the procedure for terminating participation in the program in the Peninsular MM2H.

Termination of Participation - MM2H Official Portal

It emphasizes why it is critical not to withdraw the FD prior to obtaining permission from the One-Stop Center and Immigration. I presume (though it is not expressly stated) they will issue a short-term visa/tourist pass once the MM2H visa is cancelled so that one can pick up the FD.

Thanks for the offer of the quaff...I'll assist in any way possible.
Old Mar 16th 2019, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I presume (though it is not expressly stated) they will issue a short-term visa/tourist pass once the MM2H visa is cancelled so that one can pick up the FD.
I heard from people who went through this procedure that it indeed goes as you presume. The MM2H visa is cancelled "on the spot" so they need to stamp a tourist visa in your passport to avoid that you suddenly become an "illegal alien". This is also why they want to see your flight ticket: to ensure that you will leave the country within the period that your tourist visa is valid and you won't overstay.

Old Mar 17th 2019, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Sort of makes sense, but with the fact that they offer tourist passes without (usually) asking for evidence of flight tickets out it seems that they would just stamp the visa with a 3-month pass and let you know that one couldn't stay longer.
Old May 12th 2019, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sarawak Ups Ante to Attract Foreign Retirees

It appears that the business and State Ministries are up to something, though I do notice a lack of Sarawak M2H recipients at the meeting. Lets hope they don't institute something impossible or irrelevant to increase participation. Or make the process more complicated than it already is.
Old May 13th 2019, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Sarawak Ups Ante to Attract Foreign Retirees

It appears that the business and State Ministries are up to something, though I do notice a lack of Sarawak M2H recipients at the meeting. Lets hope they don't institute something impossible or irrelevant to increase participation. Or make the process more complicated than it already is.
Interesting that Dr Sim said that SMM2H participants can live "anywhere in Malaysia". That goes against the guidance given by Kuching Immigration - people are being told that they should spend more time in Sarawak than in W Malaysia. Also, as has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, only holders of Sabah MM2H can live in Sabah.

Anyway, it sounds like the objective is to popularize the scheme, so hopefully they won't come up with any arduous conditions. It will be entirely to Sarawak's benefit to have an easy to attain, popular retirement visa for solvent expats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.