Sarawak M2H

Old Jul 11th 2018, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sarawak M2H

So, better check what date the immigration officer writes on your entrance stamp.
And to facilitate, it is good to submit the PP with the MM2H page open.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 4:26 am
Just Joined

covdave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
So, better check what date the immigration officer writes on your entrance stamp.
And to facilitate, it is good to submit the PP with the MM2H page open.
I am still looking for a sponsor and I want to avoid paying the 10K agency fee. I will give a sponsor the security bond+++. Any ideas how to find one?
Old Jul 12th 2018, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan

I am not sure but do not want to put this to the test.
I think one would hopefully have ones renewal visa in place well-before expiration. But I suppose the standard overstay fees would apply.

BTW My Sarawak stamp is written in (30/1/2023 vs. 29/1/2023) a day later than my Malaysia one and followed (and presumably rescinded) the earlier pass.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by covdave
I am still looking for a sponsor and I want to avoid paying the 10K agency fee. I will give a sponsor the security bond+++. Any ideas how to find one?
If I had a medical this month would it still be valid in two months for the MM2H application?
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

If I had a medical this month would it still be valid in two months for the MM2H application?
I could not specifically find anything for the Sarawak M2H program about this. But for foreign workers they say " Medical certificates from the medical centre in origin countries (valid for 3 month from the date of issuance)"

Of course this is different. They must get the medical check before even entering Malaysia. But it is 3 months you should be fine.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RedApe
I could not specifically find anything for the Sarawak M2H program about this. But for foreign workers they say " Medical certificates from the medical centre in origin countries (valid for 3 month from the date of issuance)"

Of course this is different. They must get the medical check before even entering Malaysia. But it is 3 months you should be fine.
Thanks I want to have the medical before I start the application process. I was told the main thing they are checking for his TB is that correct?
Old Jul 25th 2018, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks I want to have the medical before I start the application process. I was told the main thing they are checking for his TB is that correct?
The Sarawak MM2H is for 5 years what is the procedure when the 5 years is up? Is it easy to extend just a medical check up and that's it? Looks like I may have to go through an agent to apply for the MM2H and I would not want to pay the agency fees two times.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The Sarawak MM2H is for 5 years what is the procedure when the 5 years is up? Is it easy to extend just a medical check up and that's it? Looks like I may have to go through an agent to apply for the MM2H and I would not want to pay the agency fees two times.
The renewal simply requires that you submit a new check-up, and renew your fixed account at the current amount (if you have withdrawn some for approved health, schooling, property) . No renewal of the sponsor is required, no repayment of the bond. I'm not even sure if there is a procedure for someone deciding they "don't want to sponsor this person anymore". If there was that would be trouble because Immigration would not have the means to deport. There may be a voluntary process where both sides agree.

But certainly after five years you should have made enough friends and acquaintances that you could find a local sponsor without fee.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 3:54 am
Just Joined

The renewal simply requires that you submit a new check-up, and renew your fixed account at the current amount (if you have withdrawn some for approved health, schooling, property) . No renewal of the sponsor is required, no repayment of the bond. I'm not even sure if there is a procedure for someone deciding they "don't want to sponsor this person anymore". If there was that would be trouble because Immigration would not have the means to deport. There may be a voluntary process where both sides agree.

But certainly after five years you should have made enough friends and acquaintances that you could find a local sponsor without fee.
Thanks again for the info. I think may have to go through Acroplois itv seems they are asking RM8.5K for the application. .
Old Jul 27th 2018, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

obaydullah is an unknown quantity at this point

There are so few agents b/c their rules say they aren't supposed to exist. But it seems that they fell into an administrative gap in two ways. About a decade ago the two programs were almost identical. But Sarawak decided 1) Agents in the peninsula got rid of the primary way to get a "sponsor". 2) On the Peninsula they also allowed both sponsors but also self-application provided the applicant paid the Personal Bond "Up-Front". Sarawak neglected to allow the bond to be submitted by the appliacnt if they had no sponsor. That makes it much harder for someone without friends or former colleagues to apply. They also only allow people 50+ to apply...real retirees. And unlike the publicity for MM2H there is no agent participation in promotion, everything is handled by a couple of people within the Tourism Office.

I think with a few tweaks and publicity the program could explode in Sarawak. And the State government could structure things to primarily benefit Sarawakians financially. Costs are very low here, and it's a short flight to Singapore (thus ideal for Singaporean retirees and those who want to travel). Rapidly improving HC facilities. About a half dozen National Parks nearby, beaches, kayaking rivers. Plus the applicants have far lower financial requirements...no need to prove liquid assets, a Pension option a RM 7000 single /Rm 10000 couple OR a fixed account option [RM 100K (single) or RM150K (couple)] that can be drawn down to RM60K after the first year for approved expenses. But the elements in the first paragraph (which could be easily fixed) inhibit application.
I am an academic​ aged 6​3, with a PhD from Australia, and my wife is 53. I am currently living a retired life in Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh. I intend to apply for the Sarawak MM2H program, accompanied by my wife. My questions are: (1) Do we BOTH need to be present at the time of lodging an application and at the time of the Sarawak immigration's interview with the sponsor?; and (2) How to find a sponsor without any commitment for living there permanently, i.e, without coming to an agreement with a landlord?
Old Jul 27th 2018, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by obaydullah
(1) Do we BOTH need to be present at the time of lodging an application and at the time of the Sarawak immigration's interview with the sponsor?
I don't think that one needs to be present at all for the initial application. The sponsor could submit it. As I understand it only the primary applicant need be present for the interview with the sponsor.

and
Originally Posted by obaydullah
(2) How to find a sponsor without any commitment for living there permanently, i.e, without coming to an agreement with a landlord?
There is no requirement to live permanently in Sarawak. I only suggested that this might be an option for finding a local Sarawakian sponsor. In exchange for a long term lease (or property purchase) the landlord or rental agent might go out of their way to help find you a sponsor.

Otherwise you are sort of on your own to find a sponsor. As I have mentioned there are these "flying under the radar" agents...that aren't supposed to be agents...that will arrange to find you a sponsor for RM 8,000-RM12,000...and you still are expected to pay all visa fees, medical exam costs, etc.

Or you can come, meet people, and try to find a local friend who will do it for less. THEY will be responsible for guaranteeing your bond...which will be the fee they will be expected to pay for arrest and deportation if there is a violation of the terms of the visa. That of course makes locals wary. On the peninsula the Federal government allows one to advance the bond up front, the Ministry of Tourism acts as the sponsor, and when one leaves the program (provided one has kept to the terms), the bond is refunded. But Sarawak is different.

Of course, I am not Sarawakian, and not married to a Sarawakian, and thus unable to directly assist.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for your quick response. I think it would have been better if the Sarawak immigration arranges for applicants to pay the bond upfront such as done by the Peninsular immigration or appoints agents to do the work. Nevertheless, thank you indeed for the information.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

KopiOkosong is an unknown quantity at this point

RedApe, I'm new to this forum, and I just want to say a huge 'thank you' to your wealth of knowledge shared on this thread. You have my respect and appreciation, and I do hope you're enjoying life there in Sarawak. "Malaysia boleh"?
I'm past 50 years of age and I've been studying the SMM2H program for a few months now. Both my parents were born/raised in Malaysia, I spent many childhood holidays in Malaysia (and still do!), raised in a different country, migrated to Australia 30 years ago, and am now thinking of retiring in Malaysia as I feel a strong sense of connection there. And I love the food and friendly people!
I think I have a good understanding of the SMM2H program and requirements, however If you don't mind, RedApe, I might post a few specific questions that pertain to my personal situation at a later time - thank you!
For now, as my first contribution to this thread, I wish to offer a reason why the security bond is different for each country - it ranges from RM200 to RM2,000. I first thought it was somehow related to 'diplomatic relations' between Malaysia and the applicant's country. Later, I surmised it was how 'rich' the applicant's country was, but that's a folly. I now believe the bond is based on how much it will practically cost to kick an MM2H visa-holder out of the country if he/she breaks the law. RM200 would cover a one-way coach/plane fare back to Singapore, while RM2,000 will purchase a one-way flight and send a visa-holder back to the USA. Just my opinion.

Last edited by KopiOkosong; Jul 27th 2018 at 11:19 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree, I also pondered why nationals from poor nations or those that sometimes had high "illegal immigration" issues with Malaysia required lower Security Bond or Personal Bond amounts. Were recipients from the USA more likely to misbehave (but what about nice Canadians ;-) ?

It couldn't be related to Commonwealth status (although the Journey Performed Fee seems to be a carryover from this).

Then, like you, I realized that the bond was somewhat related to distance (and airfare costs). But Singaporean and Thais can simply be taken to a nearby overland exit (they have the lowest bonds RM200 and RM 300 respectively). Indonesians have a ferry trip (RM500). Then comes South East Asia (Phillipines, Myanmar) and South Asian nations (Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Nepal and Sri Lanka) at RM750. This is followed by Asian ports of transit with many air flights (Japan, S. Korea, Macao and Hong Kong). Obviously the list is a bit old as I would bet China would have many Air Asia flights as cheap or cheaper there as Japan or Korea.

For some reason Vietnam, China and Taiwan are in the RM1500 category...and Brunei? For Sarawak/Sabah that would be the cheapest deportation ;-). European nations, Australia, Iran, Iraq, "Africa" (???) and Tunisia are at the RM1500 level. Then comes everyone else at RM2000- mainly Western Hemisphere and sub-Saharan African nations.

Oddly if you are not from one of the countries specifically listed the fee is RM1500. Somalia is less than Djibouti and Ethiopia. Sierra Leone less than Liberia. Cuba and Mexico less than the USA. Paraguay, Surinam, Brazil and Chile less than Colombia.

Mind you this is not a specifically SARAWAK list of fees...it's for all bonds in Malaysia.
Security Bond/Bank Guarantee Rates
Old Jul 28th 2018, 1:54 am
Just Joined

RedApe said: "As I have mentioned there are these "flying under the radar" agents...that aren't supposed to be agents...that will arrange to find you a sponsor for RM 8,000-RM12,000...and you still are expected to pay all visa fees, medical exam costs, etc."
-----------------------------------
So,
I guess it would be more expensive for an SM2H applicant to get an approval than for an MM2H applicant.

Last edited by obaydullah; Jul 28th 2018 at 2:00 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.