Sarawak M2H

Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

rogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nicerogerluli is just really nice
Default Re: Sarawak M2H

Great job...Congratulations...
Old Feb 1st 2018, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

I did some number crunching vs. Thailand and Philippines and it still seems to be quite a bit less per year and those countries require annual or semi-annual renewals. I think some of the Central American countries or Equador might have something equivalent in their pensianado programs (I think Panama, Costa Rica and Ecuador have US$1000 monthly pension requirement but a bit more up front fee and renewal annually).

I figure I'm giving up a 10 Year Visa in Semanjunjang (the local word for "the Peninsula") but I came in just under the RM10,000 proof of retirement income for the mainland program. The RM7000 single was just right. Hopefully they don't change it the next cycle (I'd be forced to take my US Social Security which I'd much prefer to not draw until 70).

To some degree, I feel like a guinea pig. Many of the SarawakM2H came in a few years back. I should poll them on whether they got 5 Year Visas.

Last edited by RedApe; Feb 1st 2018 at 1:56 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I think the hardest part of this is for a new arrival wanting to go this route is finding a sponsor.

Perhaps an on line list of modest fee charging sponsors is the way to go)
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

I have mentioned to both Tourism and Immigration this issue. There are four "approved" agents for Sarawak, but when I have contacted them they seemed evasive about giving a schedule of fees. Both immigration and tourism stated that they had no issue with a landlord making some sort of arrangement with a tenant about the promise of the bond (in Sarawak it is a "promise to pay" the cost of deportation if the applicant violates their Conditional Terms). To paraphrase the Immigration officer in charge "Any arrangement between the sponsor and applicant is up to them". I suppose one could cover the bond as a deposit on renting or buying property. But immigration also said they did not approve of an agreement where money was paid as a condition for renting/purchase of real estate or vehicle. Arrghh!
In any case, one can ask the landlord/rental agent if they'd be willing to be the sponsor.

I have suggested that the bond could be placed in a a fixed deposit (perhaps as part of the fixed deposit as part of that option) refundable upon leaving the program or for the air tickets, etc. upon termination (voluntary or not).

I don't think that I'd be the one to seek out and make a list of people who are "modest fee charging sponsors"...
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

''I don't think that I'd be the one to seek out and make a list of people who are "modest fee charging sponsors''

was more a tongue in cheek throw away

Back to reality, who is an acceptable sponsor and how do you find them? Looks like you have to arrive and meet people on a 90 day visa, rinse repeat until you establish a sponsor relationship
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Requirements for the sponsor:
1) Sarawakian citizen/resident (not a mainlander)
2) Cannot be an employee of Ministry of Tourism, Health or Immigration
3) Willing to sign for the Bond

Originally Posted by mikemike
'' Looks like you have to arrive and meet people on a 90 day visa, rinse repeat until you establish a sponsor relationship
That's the current situation unless they actually do allow agents. Tourism said there are now four approved agents List Of Registered Agents - MM2H Official Portal
but Immigration seemed surprised that there were now agents.

My suggestion is to check out landlords and see if they'd act as a sponsor with the bond fee as a deposit. You may have to change sponsor if you move, but by then you'd probably know someone.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

RobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really nice

I came so close to retiring in Sarawak a few years ago. I was at the end of my 25 years in Singapore, and since a PR in Singapore will not be renewed upon retirement unless you have family ties in Singapore, I was looking for where I would live.

What made me decide to switch was medical care and having easy access to the US. Also, It's possible to live in a quiet town in a relatively progressive area and feel good about every day life, and this is from someone who has lived overseas since 1970 and returned in 2013.

I'm buying a place in Baja California, about 50 miles from San Diego. I can use my my Medicare by making a short drive, and the cost of living in that part of Mexico is more than 1/3 the cost of most places in the States.

Malaysia is fine, but the worry of emergency medical care, the uncertainty of the changing requirements for MM2H and never feeling a part of a country because you'll never be a citizen made me reconsider Malaysia.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobSg
What made me decide to switch was medical care and having easy access to the US. Also, It's possible to live in a quiet town in a relatively progressive area and feel good about every day life, and this is from someone who has lived overseas since 1970 and returned in 2013.

I'm buying a place in Baja California, about 50 miles from San Diego. I can use my my Medicare by making a short drive, and the cost of living in that part of Mexico is more than 1/3 the cost of most places in the States.
Can understand the Medicare issue. For many Americans the desire to actual collect on something you've paid into you're whole life is a strong attraction. Many Americans find, after working abroad for many years, that they don't fully qualify for Medicare or Social Security.

I'm an exception, perhaps but found that my retirement health coverage covers me abroad through the Blue Cross/ Blue Shield Global Core (or GeoBlue Card) program. 90% Coverage after a $300 deductible (full coverage w/out for preventative and checkups). Turns out that a lot of retirement plans have this...even those that roll their Medicare into their coverage.

And you still pay the monthly premiums of @$140 for Plan B (more for the other plans...drugs, etc).

Medicare should offer something like this actually. Maybe give those who retire abroad a 50% coverage and allow for health tourism. I just met a guy who had major knee replacement here in Kuching for about US$3000, including hospitalization and physical therapy...all in. In the States that'd cost $30-40,000. Even with Medicare it'd be a serious dent. But the main benefit would be to assist in preserving the Medicare program down the road. By allowing patients to shop for approved, but lower cost, non-US programs (Medical Tourism) it would make the US health care system have to start reducing costs. But I digress. This could or should be a separate thread.

Also how did you get around the restrictive land ownership laws established by the Mexican Constitution (no land ownership by foreigners within 60 miles of the borders or coasts)?
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

RobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really nice

It was an eye opener to investigate Baja California. Foreigners cannot own property within 100 km of a border or 50 km of the ocean. What you end up doing is getting a bank to hold the property in a trust. It sounds risky, but I just got back from Baja house hunting, and after talking to expats living there for many years, and they love it. Even though it's a real estate trust through a bank, you have total control over selling it.

It's great that your health insurance covers you in Malaysia. That makes all the difference in the world.

I like being close to siblings and Canada, and so my main home is in a little town on the Canadian border in Washington state. I regularly go to Vancouver to see friends and do some hiking. The Baja home purchase would be for 4 or 5 months a year, unless I love it, and then I'd live there all the time.

One final note- I have lived most of my life in countries where I am not a citizen and therefore never truly could call it home or be totally accepted. This is a different experience for me now.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobSg
One final note- I have lived most of my life in countries where I am not a citizen and therefore never truly could call it home or be totally accepted. This is a different experience for me now.
You may find that may not actually feel as comfortable as you think. After growing up abroad I always found that I was just a little alienated from my American peers who seemed unwilling to look beyond their parochial world. They also knew that I had lived abroad, and so was "different". Having rooms full of African art and books about exotic foreign places didn't seem "right" in conservative San Diego. You'd think that Navy people all around would have a clue . I think that it actually has a name "Expat Kids Syndrome" or such. Probably happens to adults, too. But then, living in border tows in Mexico and Canada your still something of an expat.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

si196426 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys
I am looking to move to Sarawak at the end of next year or the beginning of 2020, my situation is as follows. My wife is from Sarawak and has family land that we plan to build our home on.
We got married here in the UK as we couldn't marry there due to religion Reasons, hopefully your understand what I'm on about.
So does anyone know the best route i should take in moving over there, should it be a single application via MM2H with a family member being my sponsor or is there another way I can do it. Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks Simon.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by si196426
Hi Guys
I am looking to move to Sarawak at the end of next year or the beginning of 2020, my situation is as follows. My wife is from Sarawak and has family land that we plan to build our home on.
We got married here in the UK as we couldn't marry there due to religion Reasons, hopefully your understand what I'm on about.
So does anyone know the best route i should take in moving over there, should it be a single application via MM2H with a family member being my sponsor or is there another way I can do it. Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks Simon.
I don't know the law, but be aware that you might have to register your marriage upon arrival in Sarawak if being married is a factor in your obtaining a long term social visit pass or visa. I know a western friend of mine recently had to register his marriage of twenty years (which took place outside of Malaysia) to a west Malaysian local when he applied for a LTSVP, and he had to pay a fine for not having registered it when he first entered the country!
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by si196426
Hi Guys

Thanks Simon.
As you planned to live under one roof, another thought is if your marriage is not registered in M'sia, are you considered "married" in M'sia then?
I'm sure you have read up about "Khalwat" (close proximity), Jawi raids and proof of marriage cert which in the case is that a M'sian marriage cert (or a marriage that's registered here)?
I'm not familiar with the local laws pertaining to Muslims, but some thing you need to research more before making the move.

Last edited by columbine; Apr 3rd 2018 at 5:02 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

I've never heard of a "Jawi" raid in Sarawak. They may not recognize the marriage as legal here, however. You may have to get some sort of documentation that you are a Muslim (I'm assuming, of course,that you are the non-Muslim and your wife is).

Although I understand that one may have an aversion to making the "shahada" falsely, I also wouldn't think that screwing up ones life because a country has policies that fail to respect individual choice and conscience. I think you would have to do that in Britain, perhaps going through the Muslim Council of Britain.

Sarawak used to (before it became annexed to Malaya) allow mixed marriages, and some families just looked the other way. Sarawak has recently had a number of cases where people who were divorced or widowed tried to convert back to Christianity and it was kicked back to the Shari'ah courts. It's sort of in this weird world as to whether Islam recognizes "apostates" as existing...the Shari'ah court previously held that "one cannot leave Islam"...but these people insist they have. And once they have left, and recognized as apostates is there anything that the Shariah court can do against them (b/c the jurisdiction of the Shar'iah court is exclusively for Muslims).

There is some talk about taking all religious indicators off government documents...i.e. secularizing government functions and just keeping the Shari'ah court involved with contractual relations between Muslims. That's likely years down the road, though.

Now your situation. 1) Is your spouse Malaysian anymore? There are periods of time that Malaysians abroad must affirm to the embassy that they remain Malaysian.
2) Did you register you marriage at the Malaysian embassy/consulate?
3) If your marriage is not recognized you could not get a spousal visa.
4) If your marriage is not considered legal then neither of you have legal relationships that are linked to marriage (inheritance, property, child custody, etc.)

Even if you came in as a Sarawak M2H SINGLE applicant you would likely not be able to hold any title to the land through marriage. You would have to set up personal contractual relationships. Someone who wanted to make a stink about khalwat to get your land could give you and your loved ones real headaches. Several options:

1) The easiest course is to become a Muslim (and perhaps have to get married again).

2) Or stay in Britain.

3) If you are insistent on non-conversion then the issues get very complicated. Then you and you loved one are going down a very deep rabbit hole of laws, and courts, etc.

Wait until Sarawak reviews it's laws and makes determinations on the issues of mixed-marriages, divorce, conversion, etc. Those might be topics decided this year.

Sarawak to review shariah laws | Free Malaysia Today

Good luck.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:02 am
Just Joined

si196426 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by columbine
As you planned to live under one roof, another thought is if your marriage is not registered in M'sia, are you considered "married" in M'sia then?
I'm sure you have read up about "Khalwat" (close proximity), Jawi raids and proof of marriage cert which in the case is that a M'sian marriage cert (or a marriage that's registered here)?
I'm not familiar with the local laws pertaining to Muslims, but some thing you need to research more before making the move.
The last time we where there we tried to register our marriage but they said we couldn’t, as my with has a Muslim name, as she had to convert for her first marriage, so we are trying to find the best way forward for us

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.