Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Yep, MM2H stamp now in my passport. Joystay has 3 levels of service. I can't remember their names but I paid for the top level and it really was superb. It includes assistance for MM2H renewal when my passport expires in 6 years. Total cost to Joystay just over RM8 thousand and very well worth it. Thoroughly reliable and professional service.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Rusty! Although 8k seems rather a lot to me!

I got my LTSVP (spouse visa) renewed last Friday - given another 12 months. I think the rules must have changed for LTSVP because I have heard people say previously that some got 5 years straightaway and others 12 months for the first and 5 years on renewal. Mine was 6 months (first) and this one. LTSVP was 1,500RM deposit (refundable on successful completion of PR application after 6 years) and 90RM for each visa page. Mind you, if I only get 1 a year, the passport could soon run out of pages, as each visa takes up a full page!
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree that RM8k is not cheap but you do get what you pay for and Yvonne was worth every cent in my opinion. If I had the time to research and do the process myself I probably would have but, for me, the priority was knowing that I was in good hands and that everything would happen as advertised. It did.
I think I could have got a basic service for about RM3k but I just didn't want to take the chance.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Nijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud of

How do you go about applying for the LTVP? I think that mght be the route we have to take, but the immigration website seems pretty light on info, I think they're really trying to push MM2H.

Thanks!
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:50 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I think Bluenose is referring to the spouse visa. Actually would be quite nice to have a new topic on that subject. I wonder if Bluenose would oblige? could make it a Read Me like this one.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I think Bluenose is referring to the spouse visa. Actually would be quite nice to have a new topic on that subject. I wonder if Bluenose would oblige? could make it a Read Me like this one.
I have tried to oblige, BB, but I don't quite know how to make it a READ ME - is that the same as a "Sticky"? Perhaps only mods are allowed to create stickys?
Old Nov 26th 2013, 7:19 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Some time ago when I was researching MM2H I came across the following “supposed” benefit of MM2H which I have now come across again:-

“You can apply for travel visas to other countries from the respective foreign consulates in Malaysia”

Unless I am missing something, this could only be a benefit if the MM2H visa conferred a different status upon the applicant. It would certainly be nice not to need any visa to visit Thailand but I can’t for a moment believe this is the case.

So is there a real benefit hidden in this statement or is this just “padding”?
Old Nov 26th 2013, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Not sure what the benefit, if any, might be. There are a few things like that in the MM2H package that I wasn't aware of until the lovely Yvonne put me right. For example, purchase and import of foreign car tax free. Apparently the foreign car has to be assembled in Malaysia (unless it's your own pre owned of course) and the paperwork after 5 years to restore it to regular status so that you can sell it is a nightmare. Yvonne's advice, so far proving to be both correct and financially advantageous, is don't bother with a foreign car unless you are about to take up permanent residence immediately you have the MM2H visa. Then purchase a good foreign car second hand when you do take up permanent residence or go new and local. Seems good advice to me. Anyone know differently?
Old Nov 26th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
It would certainly be nice not to need any visa to visit Thailand but I can’t for a moment believe this is the case.
That is highly unlikely. When my wife came to Bangkok with me in 2005 she had to apply to the Thai Embassy in KL for a visa (I already had mine from the Thai Embassy in Hull). So even Malaysians need a visa to spend any time in Thailand. I have to say I'm not sure how long (if at all) a Malay could enter Thailand for without a visa, but we were going to be there just over 5 weeks.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas

“You can apply for travel visas to other countries from the respective foreign consulates in Malaysia”
As far as I understand this sentence this applies to nearly all foreigners who are in Malaysia and want to visit another country. I.e. any foreigner can go to the Thai Consulate in Penang and apply for a visa for Thailand. According to the Thai Embassy's web page you can get a 30 day visa on arrival by plane. If you cross the boarder overland by car they will give you only a 15 days visa. So if you want to stay longer you will need to apply for a visa which can be collected the same day of application.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:26 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Was announced on the site yesterday that the MM2H info site (my2home) will be closing soon. What a pity...a lot of good info on there about MM2H. So, if anyone needs to look anything up, I suggest checking the site out rather sharpish.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

saiprasad is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding MM2H Visa and Taxation in Malaysia
Can anyone shed light on permanently staying in MY under MM2H VISA that you do not have to pay tax on the pension earned outside of Malaysia, even if you are staying there continuously/permanently for 10 years? Or such person supposed to perform tax filing even if one does not have any income originated within Malaysia? Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2014, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

Never say never and no one will ever know what a government will deicide to get some extra dollars from the taxpayer.

According to the current law MM2H participants and most of other foreigners living with different visas in Malaysia don't have to declare or pay tax for any income from outside Malaysia.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

saiprasad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kebi
Never say never and no one will ever know what a government will deicide to get some extra dollars from the taxpayer.

According to the current law MM2H participants and most of other foreigners living with different visas in Malaysia don't have to declare or pay tax for any income from outside Malaysia.
Thanks for this info. So that I don't have to look for a CA for their advise
since my pension and old age insurance is paid outside of Malaysia:-)
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:10 pm

Not sure if you are a Brit? I think that most private pensions can be paid out to you gross if you get a tax residence certificate in Malaysia and send to HMRC in UK. As I understand it, government pensions (army, navy whatever) and state pensions will be taxed in UK whatever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.