Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Originally Posted by DWJL
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how the UK taxation rules work with regard to a UK occupational pension ( both my wife and I will have a UK teacher's pension). I understand that under the MM2H this will be tax free in Malaysia but will it be liable to tax in the UK?
Hi DWJL and

It depends on where you are classified as being tax-resident. If you are moving permanently, you should be able to get the income tax free in the UK AND in Malaysia. I have 2 private pensions and, although there has been a bit of a mix-up (I am currently getting 1 paid tax free, but having tax deducted on the other - mix-up was down to when we left the UK rather than when we THOUGHT we were leaving!). If you go to the HMRC website you can download Form P85 Leaving the UK - Getting your Tax right. You need to fill in details for each pension and you need to declare how many days you think you will be in the U.K. for the next 3 years. Fill in 1 form each.

Note that as and when you qualify for the U.K. state pension a) This WILL have tax deducted and b) The rate you start off at will NEVER be increased although, (as I understand the rules currently), if you are back in the EU, on holiday say, then you can claim whatever the existing rate is for the time you are there, but revert back to the original rate once you return to your country of residence. Not sure how you go about claiming the newer rate while you are away, though!

You may need to continue to submit a U.K. Tax Return each year and use that medium for reclaiming any tax on U.K. savings interest.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 6:43 am
Just Joined

DWJL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thanks for this. Am I right that you are only non resident for uk tax now if you live entirely abroad? Meaning that if you still have a home in UK you
That you visit for say 3 months a year you are treated as resident and would therefore pay tax on occupational pension?

Regards
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Hi,
Thanks for this. Am I right that you are only non resident for uk tax now if you live entirely abroad? Meaning that if you still have a home in UK you
That you visit for say 3 months a year you are treated as resident and would therefore pay tax on occupational pension?

Regards
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DWJL
Hi,

Regards
As far as I know tax residency is based on the number of days you either live in, or live outside of a country. I cannot be absolutely certain, but I think it is based on 180 days in any tax year for the U.K. (so you would probably be o.k. if less than 6 months). But then there is probably something about the number of days in 2 or more consecutive years. I am sure you can find out from the HMRC website. I worked in Malaysia for most of 2006 and my company employed tax advisors to deal with the Tax Equalisation then. I had to pay Income Tax to Malaysia (as I was living there for more than 180 days in their tax year) but had a "notional" tax computation calculated for my UK Tax Return. The tax advisors also assisted with the compilation of the Malaysian Tax Return for 2006/2007.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks ,

I think there may have been some recent tightening up due to the use of tax havens by those who claim to be 'non doms' but have most of their financial Interests in UK.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks ,

I think there may have been some recent tightening up due to the use of tax havens by those who claim to be 'non doms' but have most of their financial Interests in UK.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Nijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud of

Hi folks,

I am looking into applying for the MM2H but will still be working in Singapore - from what I've read, this visa is just as valid for workers, providing you meet the earnings & cash deposit requirements, is that right?

Re property - has anyone bought property? Looking at prices in JB, you could buy half a street for 500,000 ringgit! Are MM2Hers allowed to divide up a place and rent part of it out?

Does anyone know the tax implications for those working in Singapore, living in Malaysia? (Am planning to make an appointment with an MM2H agent but just trying to get an idea of what to expect!).

Thanks in advance,

Jessica
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Jessica and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Nijntje2518
Hi folks,

I am looking into applying for the MM2H but will still be working in Singapore - from what I've read, this visa is just as valid for workers, providing you meet the earnings & cash deposit requirements, is that right?
I don't have MM2H so cannot help you there. I'm sure BakedBean will be along soon - what she doesn't know about MM2h is probably not worth knowing!

Re property - has anyone bought property? Looking at prices in JB, you could buy half a street for 500,000 ringgit! Are MM2Hers allowed to divide up a place and rent part of it out?
We haven't bought property but I think you'll find there is a minimum amount for someone on MM2H to buy a property. In most states I believe it is now RM 1M, so maybe only a quarter of the street I don't know about dividing a property up; I guess it depends on exactly what you mean? However, I wouldn't have thought there would be any problem in doing that. Of course, you would need to ensure that your contract is legally acceptable and complete.

Does anyone know the tax implications for those working in Singapore, living in Malaysia? (Am planning to make an appointment with an MM2H agent but just trying to get an idea of what to expect!).
I would imagine that you would have to pay tax in Singapore as that is where you are earning your income. Perhaps others can advise better.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:18 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Haha Bluenose flatters. I have MM2H but I'm afraid I am no expert on the visa and don't keep up to date with all rules. Too busy living

Yes there are minimum requirements for buying property as a foreigner. Not sure of the minimum in Johor. Penang is currently unique in that it differentiates between Mm2hers and bog-standard foreigners.

Yes you can be earning income from elsewhere in the world (not Malaysia) and have the visa. I would check with an agent or direct with MM2H office about your status in Singapore though. You would be on an employment pass? I have a friend who is "retired" in Penang on mm2h and he still does some consultancy work down in Singapore. You could also check on the mm2h info site. Might be something on there possibly.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:22 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Err I'm just trying to think this through. Wouldn't you be better off just getting a MACS card?
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Nijntje2518
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance,

Jessica

Aha....may I steer you towards the thread on here Moving there. There's a lady called singmom. She's just confirmed she's working in Singapore but getting the MM2H visa. Check it out.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Nijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud ofNijntje2518 has much to be proud of

Thanks - will take a look.

What's the advantage of the MACS over the MM2H? I wasn't sure on the legalities of living in Malaysia without a long-term visa, thought the MACS only got youthrough the Causeway without queueing
Old Oct 4th 2013, 2:52 am
Just Joined

One more - I see a couple of people have used ?Joystay? as an agent to apply for the MM2H visa? Would you recommend them?

Any other agencies anyone would recommend? Has anyone applied independently, and was it quick / easy / successful?

Can any recent applicants give me an idea of the fees the agencies charge? Don't want to dip too far into that required MYR deposit

Thanks!

Jessica
Old Oct 4th 2013, 6:29 am

I would certainly recommend Joy-Stay. We used them. Yvonne who runs the company is extremely helpful. Costs are also reasonable compared with others. You can check this link: http://www.joy-stay.com/
It's one of the few agents who put their fees online with no hidden charges. You can see the fees on the link above.
Joy-Stay is based in KL.

I know you are not thinking of Penang but just to say (for those who are thinking of Penang), I know quite a lot of folks who have used Alter Domus agency. Here's a link: http://www.penangmyhome.com/
They are not the cheapest agents for sure and, last time I looked, not very up-front with their fees on the site, but do have a good reputation for getting the visa done. It used to be the case (not sure if it still is) that they would actually take your passport and get the visa stamped in for you (while one lounged around the pool in Penang ). I know that officially this was not exactly....ahem....above board....but This is Malaysia and all things possible sometimes.

Re doing the visa yourself (DIY). Those that have done that always say it is easy. It requires time for research and a little effort. It really depends if you are inclined to do that (or not). If you do decide to do DIY you really should look at the MM2H info site, my2home. You'll find a link in my very first post of this topic on page 1. There is a lot of current information about doing the visa yourself, and comments from folks who have recently done or in the middle of doing it.

Goes without saying really, but also look at the government website. Again, you'll find a link in my first post of this topic on page 1. The language can be a bit ambiguous sometimes, though the site is getting better.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

I am in the final stages of MM2H application and hope to get my passport stamped on Monday. I used Joystay and would happily recommend their services. Reliable, knowledgeable and all fees declared up front so you know exactly how to budget. I will post more next week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.